Da 62 Electra 4 Door Hardtop "Six Window"

Smartin

28 minutes ago, Smartin said:

The six-window cars that Brian posted don't have any trim.  The 4-window factory photo shows trim, yes.  But the other photos I see online of those cars without the extra quarter window have that trim too.

Yeah, you are right.  I can not find a 6 window 62 with that trim.   Odd indeed.  

I know this is not an Electra but here is a picture of a friend's LeSabre he restored a long time ago. Being a body man he did that part of it himself and had the shop owner apply the paint.

If you expand it you can see a bit of that trim discussed here separating the white from the body colour.

DSCN1337.thumb.JPG.4cdd32e6540671d41ea7b83d4f1df524.JPG

Love the model on the air cleaner painted the same as his car.

1193185878_DSCN1338-copy.thumb.jpg.3fc8d51722f000465d299aca498b3ab5.jpg

• Like 4

Yes John, it's a CV joint.  The driveshaft guy was kind of surprised to hear it has one, since he has a couple Impalas of the same vintage.  So he is going to dissect it this week and give me a prognosis.  He said worst case, he will have to lop off the end of the driveshaft and install a new end.  5-7 day tun around time, which is perfect for me, since I'm leaving for FL tomorrow for a week.

He has a nice big established shop....I feel much better than I did when I dropped off the chrome and stainless for the 72 GS I'm working on.  I picked that stuff up this morning and have a much better idea of their capabilities.  I'll be doing my own stainless from now on, if needed.  I really don't want to use them for chrome either.  There is a chrome plater in Quincy IL that I will try next....I want to stay with a shop that is a drive-able distance so I don't risk damaging these huge bumpers in transit.

Unrelated to this thread, but here is the chrome/stainless situation with the stuff I picked up today.  I'm not a happy camper, but I don't even think he is capable of doing any better on the stainless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smartin said:

Yes John, it's a CV joint.  The driveshaft guy was kind of surprised to hear it has one, since he has a couple Impalas of the same vintage.  So he is going to dissect it this week and give me a prognosis.  He said worst case, he will have to lop off the end of the driveshaft and install a new end.  5-7 day tun around time, which is perfect for me, since I'm leaving for FL tomorrow for a week.

He has a nice big established shop....I feel much better than I did when I dropped off the chrome and stainless for the 72 GS I'm working on.  I picked that stuff up this morning and have a much better idea of their capabilities.  I'll be doing my own stainless from now on, if needed.  I really don't want to use them for chrome either.  There is a chrome plater in Quincy IL that I will try next....I want to stay with a shop that is a drive-able distance so I don't risk damaging these huge bumpers in transit.

Unrelated to this thread, but here is the chrome/stainless situation with the stuff I picked up today.  I'm not a happy camper, but I don't even think he is capable of doing any better on the stainless.

That is unbelievable.  You should redo a piece of the stainless and bring it by with the rest to show them what your expectations were.

Got the bad news today that the driveshaft CV joint is completely trashed.  He can't locate parts for it, and neither can I.

I posted in the post war forum asking if there are alternatives to having a new driveshaft made.

In other news, I now have a gas pedal and new dash courtesy light lenses...and I replaced the headlight dimmer.  Now the brights aren't stuck on, but they won't go on with the dimmer switch either.

And no luck finding a guidematic eye.  I think I'm done trying.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2021 at 6:33 PM, Smartin said:

The 1960 is Lucerne Green.  This is Willow Mist.  Pretty much the same color.

Same as the 1960 Pontiac Berkshire Green.  GM used the same green for a lot of the lines with different names.  

I got my $587 driveshaft back today after an hour drive each way.  The nuts that are tacked to the carrier bearing were missing when I got it home.  So I tacked new nuts on.

Started to install driveshaft, and it's an inch too long in the forward section.  Instructions said 33 5/8", and it is 34 5/8"

Not happy...but that's par for the course on this car.