Original license plate

Robby120113

Putting the plates on your car would depend on the laws in your locality. 

You did not say what year your car was.  If it was a 1940 or older, it could have been on your car in the day. 

Here in the US, many states allow vehicles to run on plates for the model year that the vehicle was built.  I run 1915 Mich plates on my 1915 Buick truck.

The fact that you have the pair and not just one will make them more valuable. In California you could use the Year of Manufacture plates is the numbers were not in use and you had two plates that were in good condition. In North Carolina you can use the Year of Manufacture plate (1), but must have a current plate in the car. This varies state, by state. In any case they are an interesting artifact to have with your car. 

Hi Robby!

Yes those plates would go on any car registered in Morris County, NJ in 1940.

NJ issued two plates to every registered automobile annually until the '50's  (except '43 (war steel ration..))

In 1926, NJ began using "County Codes" on our plates.  At first it was just a single letter designating the county before the numbers.

From 1939 to 1951 the state went to two-letter county codes, that were "stacked" on the left side before the numbers.

By "stacking" the letters, the plates were made smaller, maybe an attempt to save money on materials?

So, your "VH" county code is for Morris County, NJ.

Install them for the car shows....  they add a level of authenticity to the car.

Gary

download.png.448fec6fbf4b804fcc450c49474cc0de.png

That is Morris County.  Right in the middle of North Jersey.

Edited by Gary W (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I just used a company here in the USA to restore my 1927 MD plates but I had them done in porcelain, while not original any longer, I like the look and durability of porcelain !

I also have a matched set from 1927 MD, that I might have done in porcelain as well come spring....

great score on the Nj matches set!

With regard to original license plates, here is a photo of the original, Kansas plate that will be going on the '16 Buick when it hits the road again.  Kansas did things a little different than most of the other states.  We only had one plate on a vehicle until sometime in the early 1930's - I should know that, but it escapes me at the moment.  We did not have a county designation on the plates until 1930.  Hutchinson is in Reno County and the Reno designation was #6.  The county numbers were based on the population of the county in question.  I have said before that the Kansas plate for 1916 was one of the prettiest designs that the state ever did.  I am going to leave this plate exactly like it is because it is the nicest condition early Kansas plate that I have ever seen.  I only gave $3.00 for it at a garage sale in Waterloo, Iowa of all places.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas  aka  Doo Dah

PC010944.JPG

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

I have a 1935-58 Buick.   Fortunately,  Florida has a rule that lets you use tag year if it matches vehicle year of manuf.   Plus,  we have a license plate collector who has a very large barn FULL of plates.   I contacted him and went to his collection.    I wanted a '1935'  - Florida tag.     Now if the tag I found is not being used (ID) and the tag must be original - no repaint - they will re-register the tag and give you a current tax paid sticker to be able to use like any regular Florida tag.   I found a tag that was not listed for any county.   Very unusual number series.   I picked a tag that was in pretty good shape and I checked the local DMV to see if the tag I had was not registered - active.    All good,   so I sent it to the state DMV. for their blessings.   It came back with their blessing and tax sticker.   Yea !   I now have a very unusual Florida 1935 tag for my 1935 Buick.     Its up to date - thru 2021.  

CEA04C8F-FD4B-447B-9020-406A9F9A0C48.jpeg

• Like 1

I have a 1935-58 Buick.   Fortunately,  Florida has a rule that lets you use tag year if it matches vehicle year of manuf.   Plus,  we have a license plate collector who has a very large barn FULL of plates.   I contacted him and went to his collection.    I wanted a '1935'  - Florida tag.     Now if the tag I found is not being used (ID) and the tag must be original - no repaint - they will re-register the tag and give you a current tax paid sticker to be able to use like any regular Florida tag.   I found a tag that was not listed for any county.   Very unusual number series.   I picked a tag that was in pretty good shape and I checked the local DMV to see if the tag I had was not registered - active.    All good,   so I sent it to the state DMV. for their blessings.   It came back with their blessing and tax sticker.   Yea !   I now have a very unusual Florida 1935 tag for my 1935 Buick.     Its up to date - thru 2021.  

BTW,   Those items to the top corners are not bombs.    They are supposed to be oranges as we are the orange growers in the states.   I had to provide to placed to bolt the tags on the supports.    Fortunately the spacing for the bolts worked out to be in the middle of the oranges.    Hard to see but it worked.  

Here in New Zealand many of the American cars being imported still have their original plates so as long as they have no more than six digits you can register that number as a personalised plate.

Whether you can run the car with those plates on is a grey area. I think by the letter of the law you have to run the local white plate but enforcement is a bit lax. I think the police have more important stuff to do.

This is just one example of many. 

Report - QGD822 - 1955 CADILLAC COUPE in BLACK | CARJAM

55 QGD822 Series 62 coupe hrb 0819.JPG

I had YOM plates on my '40  Buick when I lived in California. California will allow you to use the plates (must have two) if they are in good shape and the numbers cannot be in current use. I sold them when I moved to North Carolina and I am still looking for a '40 North Carolina plate (NC only requires one). 

1 hour ago, kingrudy said:

I had YOM plates on my '40  Buick when I lived in California. California will allow you to use the plates (must have two) if they are in good shape and the numbers cannot be in current use. I sold them when I moved to North Carolina and I am still looking for a '40 North Carolina plate (NC only requires one). 

Check this: https://saleofcar.com/plates/vintage-1940-north-091921

Looks like a cool plate.

I have a matched pair of restored 1939 Texas plates for sale.......sold my 39 Century just before Christmas. 

My computer with all my pictures is "sick" at the moment or I would post a photo.... contact me if interested.