Franklins "in the era" period photographs

Walt G

On 9/29/2020 at 8:53 PM, PFitz said:

I've looked in the two most recent Registers and can't find a listing of any Series 153  "Town Sedan". The only Town Sedans are Series 151. And, the Series 15 Operators manual does not list a "Town Sedan" in Series 153 either, so can't search by body code number.  Just some  as "Town Cars" - typically a division window limo with a Chauffeur top like Tom Hubbard's. 

Since the artist drawing Walt posted does not have the typical Town Sedan landau bars, I wonder if the title could be a typo ???? 

Paul 

Paul,

On page 6 of the series 15 parts manual the company lists the telegraph code for the "153 DeLuxe Town Sedan". Of course we know that just because something is listed in the parts book doesn't make it so and there is no other reference to one. It may have been wishfull thinking that sales would rebound and the depression would magically end. Who knows!

Bill

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hook said:

Paul,

On page 6 of the series 15 parts manual the company lists the telegraph code for the "153 DeLuxe Town Sedan". Of course we know that just because something is listed in the parts book doesn't make it so and there is no other reference to one. It may have been wishfull thinking that sales would rebound and the depression would magically end. Who knows!

Bill

Possibly.

Unlike the 151 Town Sedan that is a hold-over Series 145 body from 1930, the 153 would need a new body. The late 31 production former Adam's 151 Town Sedan has a 145 walker body tag on the driver's side body sill..... but late enough in 31 to have one-piece bumpers. 

We may never know all the changes that the depression forced the factory to make, before the Bankers forced theirs. 

Paul 

Come on air cooled motor car people take the time to share a photo or image of the era or two. Yes it takes time and effort, but without the trek this year or Hershey where you can see friends and share photos and information here you have the opportunity. Don't grumble if you think you never see anything on Franklins but of a lot of other cars - you can make it happen more if you make an effort as well...........................

Here is a Holmes and some other bits and pieces.

1934FranklinAetna001.jpg

CANTRELLimage 11 1928Franklin011.jpg

Franklin factory 1917001.jpg

Franklin matchbook.jpg

HOLMEScar001.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a 31, Series 153 Derham Berline limo.   Only one known to survive now. It's rumored there is another, but so far, searches have come up empty.

This picture was sent to me by A. Adams. I forwarded it to the owner of that only 31 Derham Berline and that lead to 19 years of a relationship with a wonderful women. Franklins can lead to some of life's most marvelous journeys. But that's a story for another day.

Paul 

1931 Franklin 153 Berline limo..jpg

• Like 3

Some other points about that Derham Berline.

The long survivor, also an originally black car with black wall tires, has the same white double pin stripe along the belt line, and the same real leather, black long cobra grain top.  

You may have noticed it does not have the battery box door in the running board splash apron. That's because, like some of the 153 Speedsters, it uses a 147 chassis, even though the firewall chassis tag number puts it as a later production 153 Berline with a Series 15 engine. The battery and tool box are reached under the front seat cushion, the cross braces match 147, and so do the passenger side brake line lengths and tee fitting location. 

Another exception I found out while working on it, is the front grill and hood are actually that of a 151. It sits about a inch lower than the standard 153 hood/grill. The thinking is that was done so that the hood angle better matches the roof angle.  

You may notice that the Berline in the picture has many of the 1931 accessories that are shown in the 31 accessory catalog. Chrome "speed strips" on the fenders, chrome trim rings around the hood doors, twin horns, and what Walt G calls a "Deco Duck" mascot.  😄

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, BucketofBolts said:

Any period images of the 1933 Franklin LWB called the "Banker's Car"?   

The V12?  I was in a garage with an owner that had recently bought a 12.  He was very happy.  I actually told him something he didn't know,  which was they came with Auburn two speed rear ends.

https://theoldmotor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/frank1-558x340.jpg

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

The V12?  I was in a garage with an owner that had recently bought a 12.  He was very happy.  I actually told him something he didn't know,  which was they came with Auburn two speed rear ends.

https://theoldmotor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/frank1-558x340.jpg

Well close..... Auburn 12 and Franklin 12 cars shared the same rear axle assembly made my Columbia Axle. I dont believe Auburn made any 2 speed axles .Ive had several of them  in all 3 configurations. With some updates they are a great  accessory. There is a big difference in the 12,8 and 6 cyl axles in size  and weight.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2021 at 9:48 PM, Bob Cornman said:

Hook sent me this picture of the latest of the latest in snow removal equipment.  I recognize the car in the picture.  Believe the picture was created by a prior owner.

2860B148-F8DA-4E88-8164-538EA8CE8A6C.jpeg

Bob , Ive never seen this image before.  At first I didn't think it was your car because the spokes look like chrome but your car is the only one with a courtesy light in the left apron. Maybe if a previous owner did it was it Bill Longley? 

21 minutes ago, mikewest said:

Well close..... Auburn 12 and Franklin 12 cars shared the same rear axle assembly made my Columbia Axle. I dont believe Auburn made any 2 speed axles .Ive had several of them  in all 3 configurations. With some updates they are a great  accessory. There is a big difference in the 12,8 and 6 cyl axles in size  and weight.

You are right.   For some reason I thought Cord owned Columbia like Lycomming, but I think I was wrong about that.    The Auburn had the lever on the floor in 32 while the Franklin has a dash switch.

8 minutes ago, alsancle said:

You are right.   For some reason I thought Cord owned Columbia like Lycomming, but I think I was wrong about that.    The Auburn had the lever on the floor in 32 while the Franklin has a dash switch.

Close again..... smile.... Auburn had the 2 speed control on the dash and the lever on the floor is to engage or disengage the free wheeling. I removed  a 12 Cyl Columbia  axle a few summers ago because the man buying the car want the original Franklin rear end assembly . That Franklin  the controls were on the floor like a second gear shift assembly but it had been crudely installed  about 50 years ago. 

Also E L  Cord may have owned Columbia axle.... I dont  remember. But I think so...

Edited by mikewest (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2021 at 9:48 PM, Bob Cornman said:

Hook sent me this picture of the latest of the latest in snow removal equipment.  I recognize the car in the picture.  Believe the picture was created by a prior owner.

2860B148-F8DA-4E88-8164-538EA8CE8A6C.jpeg

Ok, who's the Photoshop wizard of the 137 touring picture on the Club's website in, Pictures by Year of Manufacture section ?

Should have removed the guy standing beyond the car seen through the windshield.  😄  

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Hey everybody. The photo of the car I just posted that looks like a circa 1905 cross engine Franklin loaded with people, what is it? At first glance it looks like a Franklin but, the grill looks to wide, the springing doesn't quite look right and the steering wheel is on the wrong side. What's the tank in front? Also, concerning the steering, the sign on top of the building in the background proves the photo is not flipped. I thought that I'd get comments right away, but, where are all your ideas?

Bill

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 3:19 AM, hook said:

the sign on top of the building in the background proves the photo is not flipped.

Don't be so sure about that sign on the building.  We may be seeing the back side of it.  Here is the same photo flipped and enlarged a little.  The number on the car behind the Franklin (?) looks like it starts with a 4.

4.thumb.jpg.b02cee5d0b91e8fd882eb14d4f9b5e31.thumb.jpg.7dbf6704a0c89ef2e19ffe41571ef8f2.jpg

There are a few questions still. The hood on the car is wider looking than a Franklin and the rear drive look on the car is strange for a Franklin. Now about your hotel sign theory of "we may be seeing the back side of it". If we were looking at the back side of the hotel letters, the letter R would be reversed. Oh well.

First off, I apologize to you PFindlay concerning the photo flip. I think your right about the Hotel. And I think the photo is flipped. Second, I agree with you 3Makes about it being a Premier. Thank you, I think you've solved the question as to what kind of car it is. The Premier started in 1902 in Indianapolis, Indiana with water cooled engines and then went to air cooled. A Premier could be had with either Air cooled or water cooled engines. The company folded in 1926. The Premier started with a sliding gear transmission, shaft drive, and full elliptic springs, quite ahead of its times. Also, the company claimed that the "Oak Leaf" on it's radiator/grill was the first use of an emblem as an automobile trademark. If you look just behind the headlight on the grille, there's some sort of emblem. My information comes from "Standard catalog of American Cars 1805-1942" 3rd addition. Thanks again 3Makes for steering me to the Premier.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Check the photo of the 1930 series 14 sedan in Europe in the General Discussion area under the thread Period Images to relieve some of the stress. I posted it there because this seems to be a bit sleepy in activity and I have already contributed over 10 photographs here. In that location we may get more viewers to see what a Franklin is and perhaps generate more interest in the make. Anyone have any period photographs to post here?