Franklins "in the era" period photographs

On 9/29/2020 at 8:53 PM, PFitz said:

I've looked in the two most recent Registers and can't find a listing of any Series 153  "Town Sedan". The only Town Sedans are Series 151. And, the Series 15 Operators manual does not list a "Town Sedan" in Series 153 either, so can't search by body code number.  Just some  as "Town Cars" - typically a division window limo with a Chauffeur top like Tom Hubbard's. 

Since the artist drawing Walt posted does not have the typical Town Sedan landau bars, I wonder if the title could be a typo ???? 

Paul 

Paul,

On page 6 of the series 15 parts manual the company lists the telegraph code for the "153 DeLuxe Town Sedan". Of course we know that just because something is listed in the parts book doesn't make it so and there is no other reference to one. It may have been wishfull thinking that sales would rebound and the depression would magically end. Who knows!

Bill

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, hook said:

Paul,

On page 6 of the series 15 parts manual the company lists the telegraph code for the "153 DeLuxe Town Sedan". Of course we know that just because something is listed in the parts book doesn't make it so and there is no other reference to one. It may have been wishfull thinking that sales would rebound and the depression would magically end. Who knows!

Bill

Possibly.

Unlike the 151 Town Sedan that is a hold-over Series 145 body from 1930, the 153 would need a new body. The late 31 production former Adam's 151 Town Sedan has a 145 walker body tag on the driver's side body sill..... but late enough in 31 to have one-piece bumpers. 

We may never know all the changes that the depression forced the factory to make, before the Bankers forced theirs. 

Paul 

Come on air cooled motor car people take the time to share a photo or image of the era or two. Yes it takes time and effort, but without the trek this year or Hershey where you can see friends and share photos and information here you have the opportunity. Don't grumble if you think you never see anything on Franklins but of a lot of other cars - you can make it happen more if you make an effort as well...........................

Here is a Holmes and some other bits and pieces.

1934FranklinAetna001.jpg

CANTRELLimage 11 1928Franklin011.jpg

Franklin factory 1917001.jpg

Franklin matchbook.jpg

HOLMEScar001.jpg

• Like 1

Our Franklins were right in heyday of pocket watches. So, naturally we need a watch fob. This one is about 2" across. I think the factory also produced them in silver plate.

Bill

Franklin watch fob.JPG

• Like 2

Here's a 31, Series 153 Derham Berline limo.   Only one known to survive now. It's rumored there is another, but so far, searches have come up empty.

This picture was sent to me by A. Adams. I forwarded it to the owner of that only 31 Derham Berline and that lead to 19 years of a relationship with a wonderful women. Franklins can lead to some of life's most marvelous journeys. But that's a story for another day.

Paul 

1931 Franklin 153 Berline limo..jpg

• Like 4

Some other points about that Derham Berline.

The long survivor, also an originally black car with black wall tires, has the same white double pin stripe along the belt line, and the same real leather, black long cobra grain top.  

You may have noticed it does not have the battery box door in the running board splash apron. That's because, like some of the 153 Speedsters, it uses a 147 chassis, even though the firewall chassis tag number puts it as a later production 153 Berline with a Series 15 engine. The battery and tool box are reached under the front seat cushion, the cross braces match 147, and so do the passenger side brake line lengths and tee fitting location. 

Another exception I found out while working on it, is the front grill and hood are actually that of a 151. It sits about a inch lower than the standard 153 hood/grill. The thinking is that was done so that the hood angle better matches the roof angle.  

You may notice that the Berline in the picture has many of the 1931 accessories that are shown in the 31 accessory catalog. Chrome "speed strips" on the fenders, chrome trim rings around the hood doors, twin horns, and what Walt G calls a "Deco Duck" mascot.  😄

Paul

I've posted this elsewhere but it's worth reposting here. This is a circa 1955 photo of my dad's (and later my) 1929 137 7-passenger sedan Unfortunately by the time I bought it back in 2011 it was little more than a parts car. 

20200407_231857.jpg

20151108_145711.jpg

• Like 1