Labor day

old car fan

Tractors are red...

Can't say much. My cousin bought 15 acres next to me and then bought a JD 3302 with box blade and bush hog to work the property before they build. They're still in Charlotte and asked if I'd house it in exchange for using it to mow my fields. So I've been mowing front of the house with it. I'm still out on hydrostatic as I find I sometimes go too fast to get a nice cut.

Still get the 135 out to do the back side next to the woods. It has rewarded me with a flat front tire for allowing the green interloper to live here.🙄

18 yr old down the road is a big JD fan and when I took the trash off yesterday there sat a decent looking A in the front yard and him out there fooling with it. Said Nate what are you gonna do with that Popper? He wants his dad to buy the land behind them so he can farm. It's part of what's called a Century Farm here (in same family for 100+ years) so IDK how much luck he'll have getting it.

Oh, I spent plenty of time on a WD45 growing up. Also a string of Farmalls from a Cub to a rangy old F30 with a hand crank. There were Super A, 100 and 140 too, which all but the Cub were sold when my dad retired from farming.

My daddy and the JD dealer didn't get along, so that's why there were so many red tractors around. My daddy always referred to him as "an oily sob".

I needed a tractor that could handle a bush hog and there's not much better than a MF135 for that. Cubby sure couldn't though he did good with a sickle mower. That was a real PITA to put on and take off though, and after 50 years it had a lot of wear and tear, so I sold Cubby and his attachments in 2005.

"And need their hoods aligned  " factory. Can always tell one that had the hood tach added, factory holes in the hood were really ragged, almost as bad as the transmission tunnel holes for a factory Muncie.

Also is easy to tell a replica Shelby Cobra: the under hood is shiny.

ps I learned to call steam tractors "traction engines" is that something different ?

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

On 9/6/2020 at 2:35 PM, padgett said:

"And need their hoods aligned  " factory. Can always tell one that had the hood tach added, factory holes in the hood were really ragged, almost as bad as the transmission tunnel holes for a factory Muncie.

Also is easy to tell a replica Shelby Cobra: the under hood is shiny.

ps I learned to call steam tractors "traction engines" is that something different ?

Not a problem with mine;

Image preview

Edited by Pfeil
picture keeps getting removed (see edit history)