Peter Parker

victorialynn2

Should not be too difficult to make it run. They are fun cars, and parts are very reasonable and easily available.  Best of luck.....Ed

• Thanks 1

Don't need to Google that! 😉 Recent movies....

Step one is to hook up a temporary fuel container with fresh fuel. Note, there is a return line on most Spyders, so plug that for temporary use.

Step two, clean the points.

Step three, buy a group 51R battery.

Step 4 start it!

Don't move the car under power yet, as it won't have any brakes until that is attended to.👍

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

Don't need to Google that! 😉 Recent movies....

Step one is to hook up a temporary fuel container with fresh fuel. Note, there is a return line on most Spyders, so plug that for temporary use.

Step two, clean the points.

Step three, buy a group 51R battery.

Step 4 start it!

Don't move the car under power yet, as it won't have any brakes until that is attended to.👍

Thanks for the info. I did a ton of research with the Corvair forum and printed out the advice for my friend Tim. You are right also, no brakes. Had to use the e brake when we hauled him. I will copy this advice to Tim though. 
Also, I had to google. 😂

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Might Peter have a huffing device on his engine?😎

"Huffing device" is what one of my young car friends always called blowers. Belt driven or exhaust driven, it was a "huffing device". A gearhead who could play with words- it gets no better!

I don’t think so. Just a turbo. 

Your Dad had great taste in vehicles.

I would be tempted to figure out a way to circulate the oil before trying to fire "him" up...

New oil

circulate the oil

not a turbo expert, but I am guessing it is dry from sitting, getting it lubricated before fire up might save you a turbo rebuild.  They spin pretty fast, dry would most likely be terminal

Chevrolet Turbo-Air 6 engine - Wikipedia

It had a 3 in (76 mm) diameter impeller and was capable of spinning at up to 70,000 rpm. The turbocharged Corvair engine did not use a wastegate to limit boost ...

Good luck

• Thanks 1

My buddy has lots of really nice cars and he’s the one who helped me value and auction the cars I sold. He’s been a tremendous help, like so many friends have been. 

I did my research about the turbo on the Corvair forum and about starting up this long time sleeping beauty. (I think sleeping beauty is a better name!). I printed info from the Corvair forum members and shared it with Tim. He also is well educated on Precautions for car that have been sitting. It was surprisingly difficult to find someone to take on the task of evaluating the car and trying to start it up. 

22 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

As long as it doesn’t become “grumpy, dopey, sneezy, bashful, doc, or sleepy” but “happy” would be ok 

Crossing my fingers on that. It’s a four speed and it would be nice to have a little red convertible that would be fun to drive, especially one that was my dad’s. 

5 hours ago, Graham Man said:

Your Dad had great taste in vehicles.

I would be tempted to figure out a way to circulate the oil before trying to fire "him" up...

New oil

circulate the oil

not a turbo expert, but I am guessing it is dry from sitting, getting it lubricated before fire up might save you a turbo rebuild.  They spin pretty fast, dry would most likely be terminal

Chevrolet Turbo-Air 6 engine - Wikipedia

It had a 3 in (76 mm) diameter impeller and was capable of spinning at up to 70,000 rpm. The turbocharged Corvair engine did not use a wastegate to limit boost ...

Good luck

Thanks and good info. Funny that pic in Wiki isn’t even a turbo. Here’s a better one. 

24DCA45D-535D-495F-89DC-B08729EC3D47.jpeg

Screwdriver in drill works. Also distributor without a gear. 

I just crank the engine until the oil light goes out, once I determine the engine rotates OK with a 3/4” wrench on the crank bolt. Putting a teaspoon of oil in every spark plug hole never hurts, as long as you rotate it with the plugs out.👍

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I had a 64 Spyder in about 1970 or so.

The 64 models of Corvairs came with the revised suspension which included front sway bar, rear transverse leaf and reduced rate rear coil springs.

3 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Regarding the camber compensator it is true that the main reason to have one is for spirited driving however it might be useful in an emergency situation.

Seen many an early model (1960 to 1963) Corvair compete in autocross. No need for any aftermarket camber compensator. Same with the FC version. Really fun to watch those in Autocross! 👍

In fact, of the hundreds of early Corvars I have worked on, NONE had camber compensators installed on them.  I have seen them in catalogs from the early 60s, but not in person.

• Like 1

OK, I'll play along, suppose you want a bolt in camber compensator, like EMPI used to make, where would you buy one? A Corvair vendor? Nope, none for sale there. If there was money to be made selling them, Clarks or California Corvair would have had them made.👍

This is the reason I never see one on a Corvair! You would have to modify the VW one to install in an early Corvair. It's not 1963 anymore.😄

And forget those rebound straps they used to sell, just get the proper length rear shocks, does the same thing......