Nice picture of a 1930's Sedan Delivery what is it ?

Mark Gregory

I agree that it appears to be a 1935 Ford truck (Sedan Delivery)

but the chromed grille may be wrong, as I was under the impression that they were painted on commercial vehicles,

and the owner may have used one from a 1934 Passenger Car,

essentially the same shape later used on a 1935 light commercial vehicle such as a pickup or sedan delivery

• Like 1

That's a great looking vehicle.  It looks like it has the old canvas roof panel, but I thought those went away after 1932.  I'm probably wrong on this, so please let me know when Ford abandoned the canvas roof panel.

Cheers,

Grog

I’m a Chevy guy, so I’ll apologize in advance for a dumb question: How does one rule out the possibility that this is a 1933 model Ford? I’m familiar with the hood handle differences between 33 and 34, but the angle of this photo doesn’t clearly show that detail. Great car though, I would gladly break my Chevy-only policy to put that baby in my garage!!!

3 hours ago, knee-action said:

I’m a Chevy guy, so I’ll apologize in advance for a dumb question: How does one rule out the possibility that this is a 1933 model Ford? I’m familiar with the hood handle differences between 33 and 34, but the angle of this photo doesn’t clearly show that detail. Great car though, I would gladly break my Chevy-only policy to put that baby in my garage!!!

A couple of the obvious differences have been posted but there are many - at one point, the Early Ford V8 Club listed at least 65.  Also there were running production changes so not all 33s are the same and not all 34s are the same.

23 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

I agree that it appears to be a 1935 Ford truck (Sedan Delivery)

but the chromed grille may be wrong, as I was under the impression that they were painted on commercial vehicles,

and the owner may have used one from a 1934 Passenger Car,

essentially the same shape later used on a 1935 light commercial vehicle such as a pickup or sedan delivery

The 34 commercial (truck) grill is similar to 32 passenger and is painted.  The sedan delivery is a "DeLuxe" commercial, meaning it's fancier - passenger grill, etc.  In the mid-30s, non-DeLuxe Ford commercials tended to use styling from earlier passenger cars - e.g., 33-34 commercial grill similar to 32 passenger, 35-36 commercial grill similar to 33-34 passenger.

• Like 2