New tires on Kelsey Hayes wires, am I gettin this right?

MrEarl

So after much deliberation between putting either stock steel rims with full wheel covers or the Kelsey Hayes wires on  the '54 3-speed Century,  I've decided to go for the challenge of the wires. Actually it was my son, who used the car as his getaway car in his wedding and stated that I'd be crazy not to go back with the wires that made up my mind. I think he's right, wires just add pop to the looks of this car as much as the 3 speed adds pop to the performance.

So with that said, and with this being my first time dealing with mounting tires on wires,  I just need y'alls help in making this go as smooth as possible.

more to come

P1000434.JPG

P1000475-0.JPG

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Hi Lamar

Wires are the way to go. It will make your car pop. The fellow that restores these wheels told me to wrap the tips of the spokes on the inside of the wheel with the pipe wrap tape. It works well and does not come off. I wrap them around a few times on the wheel.

just a tip, I have the wires o four of my Buick’s.

steve

Edited by FireballV8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, FireballV8 said:

Hi Lamar

Wires are the way to go. It will make your car pop. The fellow that restores these wheels told me to wrap the tips of the spokes on the inside of the wheel with the pipe wrap tape. It works well and does not come off. I wrap them around a few times on the wheel.

steve

sorry Steve, I was still typing....

Thanks, I agree, I love the wires but realize the extra care and maintenance involved ..... if I can keep the cat from pissing on them i think they'll be OK.   so "pipe wrap tape" in lieu of the rubber flaps/rim straps from Lucas i have planned?  Can you give more info on the pipe wrap tape, not sure what you're referring to

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

I think I would jack up one front wheel and in turn put each bare rim on the drum and spin them to see if they are true.  This way you would not have to un-mount the tire and tube if one of them was not true.

Your Buick will look great.

4 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

I think I would jack up one front wheel and in turn put each bare rim on the drum and spin them to see if they are true.  This way you would not have to un-mount the tire and tube if one of them was not true.

Your Buick will look great.

The tire shop can check before mounting.  Do a static balance with weights on the inside.  Seal the spokes and install as tubeless.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

and B6 rim hole bushings to adapt the TR 13 stem to the KH wire wheel stem hole

also note the installed rubber rim strip

IMG_0619.JPG

Lamar,

I'd stay with the rubber rim strips vs. pipe wrap....thicker/wider vs. thinner/skinnier.  I remember as a kid that bicycle balloon tires had the rubber rim strips so that the spoke screws would not chafe a hole in the tube....same setup for your wire rims.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just did all this last year for second time.  You are good to go.  You can seal spokes, but I'd go with tubes.  Less of a chance of getting a flat, and on a wheel without safety beads that is a good thing. 

Your rim strips should work just fine, but pipe wrap is great too, which is what I did.  It's a thick rubber tape with adhesive available in different widths.  Benefit it no chance of slippage with the adhesive and you can also make an extra wrap around if desired.

They're gonna look great!  I contemplated same on Big Blue, since that's how I got the car.  I took them off at one point because they were the 6.5 inch and rubbed on a tight turn (so wise choice sticking with 6" on this car cuz you'd probably have same problem).  They also weren't in great shape.  So I sold them and restored the ones I got from you to put on!

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Last time I messed with wire rims my shop put talc inside the tires before installing the tubes.  Not sure if that was absolutely necessary, but does provide for some "lubrication between the two.

As for the radial tubes, are those radial tires or bias ply?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

As for the radial tubes, are those radial tires or bias ply?  

They're bias but radial tubes are thicker and better reinforced

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

Last time I messed with wire rims my shop put talc inside the tires before installing the tubes.

Got it🙏

Talc keeps the rubber tube from sticking to the rubber tire casing.  They will stick from heat build up without it.  However, talc will help a lung stick to a chest cavity wall.  Pleurodesis. Worked for me on my left lung. It collapsed twice. My right lung once. Thankfully never at the same time. Talc. The more you know. 

Back to wires and tires.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another good reason to run tubeless whenever you can. You can still buy tire talc. Baby powder used to be talc, but is corn starch now? Maybe it would work. If you don't use something there's gonna be trouble, and probably sooner than later. Chances are you wont have to wait for the rubber to heat up and stick.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, FireballV8 said:

Hi Lamar

steve

So this is available at local Lowes. But since I already have the rim strips, I'll likely use them. Is there any need in using an adhesive to keep the rim strips from "slipping". If so what?

image.thumb.png.3bacb5a480883346d1818c219952344e.png

19 hours ago, MrEarl said:

sorry Steve, I was still typing....

Thanks, I agree, I love the wires but realize the extra care and maintenance involved ..... if I can keep the cat from pissing on them i think they'll be OK.   so "pipe wrap tape" in lieu of the rubber flaps/rim straps from Lucas i have planned?  Can you give more info on the pipe wrap tape, not sure what you're referring to

Hi Lamar

Here is the 20 mil tape he recommends, I don’t remember the exact reason why he likes the tape. 
I just did this on my 55 MG TF and the existing rim seal rubbers were not glued. 
If you like call Mike at Valley Wire Wheel in Van Nuys, CA and ask him why he uses the tape. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.

thanks

Steve

F6C8B50B-12DC-4262-B6DD-454D3E8A7830.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'd suspect he likes the tape as it's very possibly readily-available locally.  Which can speed things up in the tire shop, rather than having to wait for the "rubber bands" to be shipped in?  Just a hunch . . . 

NTX5467

Hey, Lamar, congrats on the wires.  I love mine, though they are the repos, but that lets me use aluminum drums on the front end, which the OEMs won't let me do.

Rubber tape has worked for me.

Be prepared to service them now and again for broken or loose spokes.  I call them my around town wheels, as in I don't go far past an easy tow home in case of a problem.  And thats on a much heavier Super that weighs past  5k with two aboard.  You may have better luck with originals on a lighter car.

And the best way to get them clean is off the car and on 2 saw horses with access above and below.  Lots of spray polish and microfibers and hand work.  Enjoy!!

• Thanks 1

Seems like somebody makes a "spoke brush"?  As used on many British imports which had wire wheels from the start.  Seems like spray-on oven cleaner is a trick, too?

My proposed theory on keeping wire wheels looking nice, in the current time.  Get them all cleaned, polished, and looking as good as possible.  Then soak them in the new Meguiars Hybrid Ceramix Wax spray, which is (according to many YouTube video comarisons) the highest-durability silicon dioxide coatings/"wax" out today.  Spray it on, "set" it with a water spray.  As with ANY similar silicon dioxide product, make sure things are like you want them BEFORE application.  I bought a new lawn mower earlier this year,  Washed it off initially, then soaked it with that stuff, then rinsed.  All it takes to keep it clean now is a shower-spray when finished mowing.  NOT sure how the brake heat might affect it, but I also suspect it'll last better than normal wax might.  I believe it's compatible with rubber items, too, as on a car, no mention of protecting rubber items from it being necessary.

I suspect you've checked for un-torqued spokes on the wheels?  The car looks good with them and the wide whites.

NTX5467

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2020 at 10:29 AM, NTX5467 said:

Seems like somebody makes a "spoke brush"?  As used on many British imports

Off topic and completely irrelevant, I was looking at some Rolls-Royce Bespoke items earlier. Be spoke. Call Alber's they will be thrilled.

So here is the irrelevant part. My name is Bernard Eugene Daily. My signature is just scrawled B. E. Daily. During my medical issues my doctor's office asked me to sign some paper for a prescription. I did. Didn't get past the corner and my phone rang. It was the doctor's office "We needed your signature, not the frequency."

Better luck on the spoke brush search.

Bernie

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

So, where are the pictures with the Buick in new shoes? 

Haven’t had time to finish cleaning the wheels (I know, I should have done that before putting the tires on but....) and put them on the car yet but the mounting and balancing went well. The wheels spun good prior to mounting the tires and the tires were pretty well balanced themselves. May be awhile before I can get the car pulled out and tires mounted. 

E3A74F84-B2ED-4567-AB48-B494B5563560.thumb.jpeg.a9faa0b91510c10392dc69a34f18f8d4.jpeg

3CD7B5CF-E6A2-4E33-BD9F-D42B06D6A2E6.thumb.jpeg.175eeb6218bc8d6ff8e6bc942d87a121.jpeg

F5010537-5979-47EC-AD81-2503C3EBE2F0.thumb.jpeg.3657cf79395b273db687754983692270.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set (including the spare) of the KH wire wheel originals on my 1955 Buick Roadmaster Convertible, which I have owned for only a year. I'm pretty sure they are original to the car. I know nothing about these wheels (neither in general, nor the 5 that I have in particular). I have had the car up to about 65 MPH and did not notice any unbalance or out-of-round vibrations. After reading this post, I have become a little suspect of them and am thinking I should remove the tires and have a look. Fr. Buick and NTX5467 made mention of torquing the spokes. Can anyone inform me of the amount of torque? Do the tires need to be removed to check the torque?

IMG_2541.JPG

• Like 1

I believe the term is "trueing" which is a process where spokes are tightened or loosened so as to center the hub in the rim.  If you are driving on vibration free wheels, without breaking spokes, then imo leave them alone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bill, all I did prior to having the tires mounted was try to wiggle all the spokes, tapped on each one and listened for a dead ring then put an open end wrench on each one to see if they were all tight. The same can be done on a bench with tires on. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...