A rose by any other name and Ralph Nader

California governor decided to close us down again due to the coronavirus, so instead of sitting around in 118° we decided to hit the highway for a long overdue vacation. Chose to drive a rental this time. Called Budget at the Palm Springs airport and booked a Jeep Grand Cherokee (we like to do a little antique shopping along the way). Got to the counter to pick up the car and this was our exchange:

Me: Hi, I'm Greg, here to pick up a Jeep G.C.

Clerk: Sorry sir I don't have one of those but I have a Mitsubishi (something or other).

Me: No thanks. That won't do.

Clerk: I have a Toyota (something or other).

Me: No thanks, I prefer an American car.

Clerk: Oh, I have an Enclave, ...a Buick Enclave. I believe that's made by Ford. That's American.

Me: I'll take the Ford Buick Enclave. 

Clerk: Excellent choice sir.

Anyway, the car and the trip have been great. We're just making it up as we go. Woke up this morning in Wichita, Kansas. Beautiful weather and friendly people.

Spotted this other Buick in east Texas with spinners that would have Mr. Nader spinning in his grave. I guess it's a "thing" around that area because we spotted several more like it later.20200713_113530.thumb.jpg.b4702aeb9ac07d6576f21524b574e9a3.jpg20200713_113455.jpg.ee69cdaec11f57eea64d9e7a7bbc2653.jpg

You'll be happy to know we've seen so many of those old abandoned little service stations along the secondary highways, America will never run out of them. There have to be thousands of them still standing, across the country. Got many pics but I'll save that for another post.

Got a busy day ahead of us here in Kansas, my wife is on the hunt for the girl that dropped a house on her sister....

Cheers, Greg

I've not encountered those hubcap/wheel extensions yet, but I'm sure they're on their way to Central Florida.  As near as I can tell, these things, called "swangers", "elbows" or "pokes", aren't yet illegal, unless it makes the vehicle's overall width greater than 8 feet.  I think that these things should be mandatory on all vehicles, since they would give mechanically-induced audible warnings when encountering vehicles in other lanes, guard rails,  bicyclists etc.  What a great safety asset, which doesn't even rely on electronic, computer type gadgetry.  They don't even need batteries!  Where can I get a set?

I hope you continue to give us updates on your travels as you make your way around this great Country of ours.  "Drive keerful" and have fun.

Cheers,

Grog

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

Spotted this other Buick in east Texas with spinners that would have Mr. Nader spinning in his grave. I guess it's a "thing" around that area because we spotted several more like it later.

Cheers, Greg

I'm certain Mr. Nader would be spinning in his grave, trying to get out as he is very much alive

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CarlLaFong said:

I'm certain Mr. Nader would be spinning in his grave, trying to get out as he is very much alive

oops! 😄

Yes, trust us Corvair owners, we would know if Ralph had passed!😉

BTW, back in the day he never owned a Corvair, just wrote and talked about them. But, recently he has bought and sold some, getting a better one for his Tort Museum!

https://www.tortmuseum.org/

🙃

I have a friend who owns a Corvair and specifically hunted down one of Nader's presidential bumper stickers to put on it. 

I've seen hubcaps like those above in a model kit, but never in person. Not something I would want on any car. It reminds me of the Grease movie. 

• Like 1