Looking for seat upholstery

Olle

Hi, I live in Sweden and have a 1965 Riviera.

I am looking for a complete set of upholstery, but I need help to find some that I am sure is good quality and that the upholstery fits correctly.

Otherwise it is going to cause me a lot of headache returning (if possible) and get my money back.

I found at opgi.com and carid.com, seems like that it is the same manufacturer. I have to ask them about difference between standard and custom and if they have both front and rear seat. But the main question to you out there is if they fit alright and if it seems like it is qood quality?

It's going to be quite expensive since I have to pay customs and VAT 25% in Sweden + shipping.

Else I have a person here in sweden that can make the interior from scratch, in that case I know it will fit alright, but he says the vinyl might not be exact as original.

Thanks for reading this far!

Best regards

Olle Hildebeck

20200607_164209.jpg

With all the taxes and import cost.  I would just have someone make it.  OPG has complete interior kits, but they are VERY expensive.   Plus then you have the option to do something maybe custom 👍

I have a 64 and I have 2 tears similar and I keep putting that purchase off. 

• Like 1

It's so coincidental seeing this thread.  I just put about 20 yards of Sierra White Vinyl into an online shopping cart.  I am hoping to be able to sew the upholstery myself.

I would agree with DDDDDan and have it done in your home country.  I believe you will need either Madrid Vinyl or Sierra Vinyl to match the OEM grain.

Chris

Got mine from sms auto fabrics. I was looking for the original luxury fabric and found it there:
https://smsautofabrics.com

Looks fantastic and the price is absolutely ok, even with all taxes I had for the shipment to Switzerland. They send you some patterns before you buy. Just ask for them to be sure what you‘ll get.

FA1EB6A6-C7E4-4CBD-923B-CFA67A1464E6.jpeg

7D18A8D5-4299-470B-8E89-0292F71DDF03.jpeg

• Like 4

ixnay on the OPGI stuff. Prices are high, quality is low.  Much better off sticking with someone who specializes in one make rather than piddling in all makes.

From the picture you posted, you have the standard interior. You cannot fit the custom interior option to your seat pads; they are different. Same make, same model, but different options.  The picture of @Schmiddy 's car show the custom option. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Olle said:

Hi, I live in Sweden and have a 1965 Riviera.

I am looking for a complete set of upholstery, but I need help to find some that I am sure is good quality and that the upholstery fits correctly.

Otherwise it is going to cause me a lot of headache returning (if possible) and get my money back.

I found at opgi.com and carid.com, seems like that it is the same manufacturer. I have to ask them about difference between standard and custom and if they have both front and rear seat. But the main question to you out there is if they fit alright and if it seems like it is qood quality?

It's going to be quite expensive since I have to pay customs and VAT 25% in Sweden + shipping.

Else I have a person here in sweden that can make the interior from scratch, in that case I know it will fit alright, but he says the vinyl might not be exact as original.

Thanks for reading this far!

Best regards

Olle Hildebeck

20200607_164209.jpg

If you decide to buy the material and have the covers made locally you will need Madrid grain vinyl which is readily available in black, you shouldnt even need to go to a specialty house like SMS upholstery. As of a few years ago Madrid grain vinyl was still being produced and available to any upholstery shop. Good luck!

Tom Mooney

• Like 2

Hej Olle,

I very much recommend Clark’s Corvair that I used for my 63, see:

Here is the link to the at Clark's Corvair for the Buick Riviera seats, the owner has a first gen Riviera and I think most have been very satisfied with the quality.

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.cgi?function=&category=buick&dbkey=24&level=1

Here is a tour of their upholstery factory:

As mentioned previously, SMS Auto Fabrics has NOS (original) interior fabric. Ordering in bulk and having a local shop make your covers might be an option. Also, as mentioned, if you have a vinyl interior just buying new Madrid grain material & having a local shop make your covers might be the most economical way to go.

Olle, I've done a lot of X-Border shopping and although I have never been burned 100% (not receiving goods), about 2/3rds of the items have been substandard, incomplete or totally useless. This is for new and used parts and after my government and those rip-off courier companies have thrown every conceivable hardship fee at me!

One Vendor that I've dealt with, < <CLARK'S CORVAIRS > > has constantly provided no-nonsense quality products with no-nonsense turn-around. If I had any complaint, they do not use my preferred USPS for shipping. But, they are so good, I gladly tolerate a courier delivery.

They have an upholstery shop and do LEATHER! The receipt below from yesterday shows the turn-around. The order is en-route and I'm sure I'll be 100% please with the product!

Thank-You Clark's Corvairs for catering to 1st Generation Riviera Owners!

image.thumb.png.71761dd4378322a452ebe98e9fde37ee.png

As you read John's shipping notice, you'll see some part numbers start with an R and some start with a C.  The R parts are Riviera items, the C parts are Corvair parts.  No big deal, they're parts shared by GM Corporate cars. Keep that in mind when looking other places for generic type parts.