1959 Edsel Corsair - $4300 - NE - Not Mine

32 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Why did Edsels get a bad rap ?

1. When they first went on sale in September 1957 the press made fun of them and referred to them as "an Olds sucking a lemon" among other things because of the unusual front end.

2. There was a recession going on in late 1957 so sales were slow.

3. Some people didn't like the name "Edsel" which was named after Henry Ford's only son.

4. The 1958 models had the buttons for the transmission in the middle of the steering wheel which was called "Teletouch" but they weren't developed properly so a lot of people had to take them back to the dealer to get them fixed. They did away with it for the 1959 and 1960 models. 

There were other reasons too but you get the idea. The 1958 models were built in half a dozen plants in the US in Canada but after sales were nowhere near what they were projected to be the majority of the 1959 and 1960 models were built in the Louisville Assembly Plant as this one was. Ford discontinued them in November 1959 and lost hundreds of millions of dollars on the car. I've owned six of them over the years and would consider buying this one except for that miserable color. Have you seen the movie "Peggy Sue Got Married " with Kathleen Turner and Nicolas Cage? If not check out this clip for a few laughs....

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

You could bang around in it and have some fun without breaking the bank.

A 1959 Edsel is an EXCELLENT car for a beginner. They are significantly less expensive than the comparable Chevrolet and way cheaper than the equivalent Ford.  They are also durable and easy to fix. 

1958s have a lot of trim and features (the teletouch, the dial-temp heater, heater valves, trunk hinges, the taillights, hood ornament, padded dash. . . ) that are difficult to repair and/or difficult to find parts for.

While not as 'exciting as a first year 1958, the 1959s are simple and rugged. A lot of Edsels were saved, so parts are not hard to find. (or they readily exist on Fords) 

The bad part? there are a lot of them, they are cheap to buy which also makes them cheap and inexpensive when you want to sell. 

1960s are RARE. You need have connections in Edsel circles because you are not going to find 1960 (trim) parts at any wrecking yard or swap meet. The 1960 mechanicals are all Ford, but this includes that the 1960 Ford was a tinny rattly car itself.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Lebowski said:

1. When they first went on sale in September 1957 the press made fun of them and referred to them as "an Olds sucking a lemon" among other things because of the unusual front end.

2. There was a recession going on in late 1957 so sales were slow.

3. Some people didn't like the name "Edsel" which was named after Henry Ford's only son.

4. The 1958 models had the buttons for the transmission in the middle of the steering wheel which was called "Teletouch" but they weren't developed properly so a lot of people had to take them back to the dealer to get them fixed. They did away with it for the 1959 and 1960 models. 

There were other reasons too but you get the idea. The 1958 models were built in half a dozen plants in the US in Canada but after sales were nowhere near what they were projected to be the majority of the 1959 and 1960 models were built in the Louisville Assembly Plant as this one was. Ford discontinued them in November 1959 and lost hundreds of millions of dollars on the car. I've owned six of them over the years and would consider buying this one except for that miserable color. Have you seen the movie "Peggy Sue Got Married " with Kathleen Turner and Nicolas Cage? If not check out this clip for a few laughs....

There is a lot of truth here - when you run into many people of the period they will tell you the "cool kids" did not drive Nash's, Hudsons, Kaisers, Rambler's and ...

3 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Different and at a very reasonable price point.  Nice to see someone who doesn’t automatically think that their old car is worth at least $15,000 no matter what it’s condition.

I see you are catching onto my motivation to post some of these CL pickings.  It is that there are good values to be found in older collector cars available for those without major expenditures, cars that can be enjoyed with family and friends without depleting the family fortune.   Not everyone has five figures to commit to what is essentially the luxury of a collector car to only use for enjoyment, not daily transportation. 

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The final last straw on the Edsel was the fact Ford management tried to "slip" the cars into the assembly line at St. Louis Assembly Plant running the cars between the regular production Mercury models and union workers revolted.  Here was a car that in some ways was better designed and used materials superior to the current production Lincoln and they would show up on the shipping dock with so many assembly quality problems Ford gave up.  My dad was a manager at Ford in 1959 and his first lease car was supposed to be an Edsel.  The car got cancelled and we wound up with a red 1960 Sunliner convertible instead.  The Sunliner was a good car with a 352 2 barrel and cast iron Cruise-O-Matic trans, power steering and brakes.  If there was a complaint about that car it was from me, I was 9yrs old when we took off from Wayne Michigan to East Jordan Michigan on the 23rd of December to visit my dad's aunt and uncle for Christmas.  I sat in the right rear seat and it was a nasty windy snowy day and I froze my tuckus off in the back seat of that thing...

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
typo (see edit history)

7 hours ago, GregLaR said:

What is this human holding?

A car part?

A camera case?

A purse?

A couple salamis?

A camera and case, and the camera might be an Argus C3

Brooklyn Beer- Get a Corsair with push button gear selector in the middle of the steering wheel.

Oh- and when the Edsel was rolled out Ford passed out souvenir 24th scale models of the Edsel, turqoise and white, in a Ford box as an advertising gimmick and my dad gave me one.  Wish I had it now...

Edited by Str8-8-Dave (see edit history)

I'd love to get my hands on that, clean it up and take it to every cruise night I could find. A four door Edsel is one of my dream cars. If I could just convince myself to stop spending so much in my other hobbies I could do it within a few months, probably. 

I got one of those promos back in February. They are still out there...still has the original box, too. They were made of acetate and warp badly but mine has only a little warping.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I'd love to get my hands on that, clean it up and take it to every cruise night I could find. A four door Edsel is one of my dream cars. If I could just convince myself to stop spending so much in my other hobbies I could do it within a few months, probably. 

I got one of those promos back in February. They are still out there...still has the original box, too. They were made of acetate and warp badly but mine has only a little warping.

Billy, I live not far from that car. If you'd like me to check it out for you, let me know.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 1:21 PM, GregLaR said:

What is this human holding?

A car part?

A camera case?

A purse?

A couple salamis?

20200610_112008.thumb.jpg.751cd3fea3c689947b281471adbd76e7.jpg

That's no human, that's a Cornhusker fan!

JUST KIDDING! I can say that because I live there (here.) My wife teaches at the university, as well.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)