Riviera Fender Monogram installation

atencioee

It so happens I am missing the same emblem on the driver's side of my '63.

Removing the fender baffle with the door open will allow you to reach in and push speed clips onto the emblem pins.

John B.

DSC03460.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, abandg said:

Barrel bolts. They are a lot easier than putting the nuts back on and you won't have to worry about breaking a stud.  Gene.

Hello and thank you for the info. Do you have a pic? How di the barrel bolts work? 

I will see If I have any left to take a picture. To install you ream the hole on the fender to receive the bolt. It is not a bolt but a metal insert like the one you would use to install a crew in to a plaster board wall. Once the clips are pushed into the hole on the fender you just tap the script in and it's done. They come in different sizes. I am sure a body man uses these alot. I will try to get you pictures if I can find the few I have left. I hope I did not confuse you. Gene.

• Like 1

How many times do I have to say this.....all you have to do is put a dab of 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive on each stud of the

emblem and put it on..........allow 24 hours for the adhesive to set before driving the car......takes about ten seconds to do. The emblems

on my GTO have been held onto the fenders this way for 47 years so far.

4 hours ago, abandg said:

I will see If I have any left to take a picture. To install you ream the hole on the fender to receive the bolt. It is not a bolt but a metal insert like the one you would use to install a crew in to a plaster board wall. Once the clips are pushed into the hole on the fender you just tap the script in and it's done. They come in different sizes. I am sure a body man uses these alot. I will try to get you pictures if I can find the few I have left. I hope I did not confuse you. Gene.

Gene,

They are called "barrel clips"...

Tom

• Like 1

16 hours ago, XframeFX said:

In case I have trouble finding mine, where did you purchase yours?

This wasn't on my "To Do" List. Thanks, you helped me out as well!

John B.

John, I made a mistake earlier...said I got my monograms from cars.com...I meant from cars LLC (www.oldbuickparts.com). 

On 5/19/2020 at 10:31 AM, atencioee said:

John, I made a mistake earlier...said I got my monograms from cars.com...I meant from cars LLC (www.oldbuickparts.com). 

Thanks but, I found that 1963 emblem for my Driver's side fender of my 63 and again, not easy because it's a Riviera.

The emblem has 7 pins but my fender has 6 holes! Break off a pin?

Drilling holes in my floor board is one thing but drilling into my body panels . . . . I shudder to think!

I installed the right side emblem in the early '90s. So, not a chance of recalling 6 or 7 pins.

Another mid-year production change? 

I used your image to show the missing hole.

John B.

image.png.309be6c6e5c3d31d45e92ca85191263a.png

Did the 63s only have 6 holes? My 64 has 7 and the monograms I ordered have 7 pins. If your able to break off a pin without damaging the monogram unless your able to find them with 6 pins. If your 63 Rivi only has 6 holes, I would guess that there were and are monograms with 6 pins?

Just did this job and it’s very doable.  I reached in and put the speed nuts on with ratcheting box end with a string tied to it. Some of the nuts had to be drawn in to make the monogram fit tightly to the body. Line the sharp edge with tape to save your hand also a little dum dum on tip of finger to help start nut. Monogram has 7 post and bought from “oldbuickparts”.  

Edited by Chasander (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Be aware that speed nuts are very prone to strip out on the stud so that when you go to remove them later, they just spin and won't come off.

If that happens at a later date, the fender would have to come off to remove the emblem....another reason why the ten second weatherstrip adhesive

method is the way to go.The car makers figured that out 40 years ago.....all emblems on cars are held on by adhesive now.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

I don't know why people love to over-complicate things.  Just because something was done a certain way 50 years ago, that's not necessarily the best way today.  A small piece of 3M UHB or VHB double sided molding tape is how all modern emblems and badges are put on cars these days. 

A $10 roll will last you years.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JOVUO0?tag=commconn_us_45_101399-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

(comes in different colors and thicknesses)

1 hour ago, Hazdaz said:

I don't know why people love to over-complicate things.  Just because something was done a certain way 50 years ago, that's not necessarily the best way today.  A small piece of 3M UHB or VHB double sided molding tape is how all modern emblems and badges are put on cars these days. 

A $10 roll will last you years.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JOVUO0?tag=commconn_us_45_101399-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

(comes in different colors and thicknesses)

I had a Riviera script emblem come off the rear quarter of my 90.  I had a rool of 3M double sided tape and thought I would replicate what was done at the factory.   WRONG.  Unless you have the die to stamp out the adhesive in the shape of the emblem, there is no way to cut the adhesive.  Luckily, I found a new one so all I had to do was peel and stick.

Take a look at a lot of the new emblems, the chrome is embossed on a solid background of some sort making the adhesive easier to cut to shape.  

Lota of good tips here. Pick which ever looks like it will work for you.  If you're doing a repaint, hopefully the fender is off the car and attaching the emblem is a no brainer.

• Like 2

So, I just replaced both sides and I purchased them from   BestOfferCounts LLC. James Kehr 215-767-0845. Did the same as Chasander did NP.  Mine had only 6 pins on them.

Seafoam65 is correct about the way he said to do it.....I used black weatherstrip adhesive for the letters on the back of the trunk and in 24 hrs it was totally stuck on.

55 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I had a Riviera script emblem come off the rear quarter of my 90.  I had a rool of 3M double sided tape and thought I would replicate what was done at the factory.   WRONG.  Unless you have the die to stamp out the adhesive in the shape of the emblem, there is no way to cut the adhesive.  Luckily, I found a new one so all I had to do was peel and stick.

Take a look at a lot of the new emblems, the chrome is embossed on a solid background of some sort making the adhesive easier to cut to shape.  

Lota of good tips here. Pick which ever looks like it will work for you.  If you're doing a repaint, hopefully the fender is off the car and attaching the emblem is a no brainer.

A sharp razor blade does the trick. In the Bodyshop busisness we do this all the time to reinstall stick-on emblems and nameplates.

With that being said, for the 1st and 2nd Gen Riviera Mongrams, it would be a helluva lotta cutting so i woulnd recommend double stick tape for them...i would second the weatherstrip adhesive on the studs