Question on old rubber floor mat(s)

Joe Cocuzza

I have a 1949 Plymouth Woody wagon with the original rubber floor mats in it.

Because they are 71 years old, of course, they are VERY brittle. I went to pick up a corner of the rear one and it just snapped off like a potato chip would snap in half.

Here is my question:

Is there ANYTHING that anyone knows of that would make it flexible again?

Would using Linseed oil work by allowing it to be absorbed into the rubber?

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Joe

Joe, in my experience, NOTHING will restore flexibility to those floor mats. They can be used as patterns for making new ones, IF you can find enough other Plymouth owners to commit to buying some, to defray the cost of reproduction. 

Good luck to you. 

There is a rejuvinator printers use on rubber rollers and mats that will make old rubber like new. I have a friend who restores antique radios, he had an old short wave portable that had an antenna with rubber suction cups. They were dried out till they looked like hard shriveled up  blobs, soaking overnight restored them to their original shape and flexibility. I don't know what the stuff is called but it should be possible to find out.

Later.... a quick web search turned up plenty of different brands in jugs and spray cans. The brush on kind would probably be most suitable for your use. Here is one for example, I know nothing about this brand I chose it at random https://www.printingsuppliesdirect.com/printing-chemistry/blanket-savers/rycoline-rubber-rejuvenator-1-gallon?zenid=7ec3tog80qsu11mj44argg1950

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

It's going to depend on the type of degradation.  If the plasticizing oil volatilized but the rubber molecule itself has not degraded, it can be partially at least reflexibilized.  If the rubber itself has broken down from oxidation, the degraded rubber won't hold oil beyond being a gummy mess. After this long, the odds are not good.

• Like 2

Joe, just for the heck of it, I Googled "how to rejuvenate old rubber" and I came up with several solutions, so you might give it a try. I have a '46 Ford Woodie and know how hard it is to find the cargo mat for a Ford so finding one for a Plymouth would be like finding "hen's teeth". I don't know how close your car is to a Ford. but C&G Parts does have the Ford cargo mat available.

8 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

It's going to depend on the type of degradation.  If the plasticizing oil volatilized but the rubber molecule itself has not degraded, it can be partially at least reflexibilized.  If the rubber itself has broken down from oxidation, the degraded rubber won't hold oil beyond being a gummy mess. After this long, the odds are not good.

I always learn something from reading the forum, today it was a new word.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The front rubber mat in my '29 Pierce was fine for almost a hundred years and then it aged drastically seemingly in a few months.

Luckily, I managed to jump in on the tail end of a special run of front, rubber mats that were patterned after a '31 open car.

Being as I didn't get in on the initial group buy but got in at the tail end of the run, it cost me a little more but when you're already talking 4 figures for a specialized run an extra few hundred isn't bad.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

If the mat is one without a special logo you may be able to get away with buying some very wide ribbed rubber from an industrial supply place and cut it to fit.

It won't be perfect but it will at least cover the floor in a single piece.