Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

7 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

Gotta love this pic 

May be a black-and-white image of 3 people, baby, wedding and text

Now that would be cool if they ended up being 'childhood sweethearts' and actually did marry years later.

Craig

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just on here now - busy with next story in a magazine and material for the local historical society . It never ends.....

Anyway thanks to all of you who come here to look at history ! I see that There are now 900,000 views that have taken place. Proves that "everything old is new again" so far as interest. Thank you AACA for being the host.

Edited by Walt G
clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

A few interesting points of discussion, the license plate, top hatch, wheels, unique slope at windshield creating unusual shaped side windows etc

From the grille I'm guessing it to be a Ford?

Does anyone know anything about this vehicle and have photos of the entire unit or, brochures / special order catalogs other than the link I provided?

Lastly, does it still exist?

The Radio Historian

image.jpeg.86fa0986567157928a77f1ef65553bd2.jpeg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 7

19 hours ago, RetroPetro said:

IMG_9177.jpeg

Who is the top hat guy? I believe it is a 1926 Cadillac, right?

22 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

A few interesting points of discussion, the license plate, top hatch, wheels, unique slope at windshield creating unusual shaped side windows etc

Does anyone know anything about this vehicle and have photos of the entire unit or, brochures / special order catalogs other than the link I provided?

The Radio Historian

As a follow up,  some information on this link sent to me from another forum member appears to suggest the vehicle may have been used to promote (and possibly accommodate) the move from 610 am to 660 am in the late 1920s to early 1930s.  Some of you that have studied radio may have more to add. I have not studied radio, but I'm quite curious and hope to find out more about this vehicle. 

Media Confidential: May 20 Radio History

"WNBC signed on for the first time on March 2, 1922, as WEAF, owned by AT&T Western Electric. It was the first radio station in New York City.

The call are popularly thought to have stood for Western Electric AT&T Fone or Water, Earth, Air, and Fire (the 4 classical elements).   However, records suggest that the call letters were assigned from an alphabetical sequence. The first assigned call was actually WDAM; it was quickly dropped, but presumably came from the same alphabetical sequence.

In 1922, WEAF broadcast what it later claimed to be the first radio advertisement (actually a roughly 10-minute long talk anticipating today's radio and television infomercials) which promoted an apartment development in Jackson Heights near a new elevated train line, (the IRT's Flushing-Corona line, now the number 7 line).

In 1926, WEAF was purchased by the Radio Corporation of America, making it a sister station to WJZ. RCA then formed the National Broadcasting Company, which operated two radio

chains.

WEAF became the flagship station of the NBC Red Network. The other chain was the NBC Blue Network, whose programming originated at WJZ (now WABC), also owned by RCA. As a result of the North American Radio Broadcasting Agreement of 1941, WEAF became a clear channel station, and could be heard across most of the eastern half of North America at night.

On November 11, 1928, WEAF moved from 610 to 660 AM. The move that solidified WEAF's position as the most pretigious of all broadcasters took place in the autumn of 1933, when NBC moved to 30 Rockefeller Plaza and became the "radio" that gave Radio City its name."

image.png.2b2310e06e0b8350575c537da8e38c7b.png

Surely there must be interior photos along with a builders name along with current status of the vehicle.

More to come...

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 4

On 8/14/2024 at 8:15 PM, JRA said:

Who is the top hat guy? I believe it is a 1926 Cadillac, right?

Miss Amelia Earhart, who, with the rest of the crew of the transatlantic plane Friendship, will arrive on the President Roosevelt Friday morning, will spend three days in New York before going to Boston for the reception by her home city.

The Friendship fliers get a big celebration at Medford, MA, Amelia Earhart's hometown.

Subjects: Earhart, Amelia, 1897-1937; Stultz, Wilmer L., 1899-1929; Gordon, Louis E.;

1928-07-10

Creator/Contributor: Jones, Leslie, 1886-1967 (photographer)

Guy with Top Hat?

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 4:30 AM, 30DodgePanel said:

The Radio Historian

Isn’t this the same vehicle pictured just 2 posts above?

18 minutes ago, Gary_Ash said:

Isn’t this the same vehicle pictured just 2 posts above?

It appears this one is Unit 2 and the photo showing the entire vehicle is Unit 5.

Craig