Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 2/3/2021 at 1:36 AM, nzcarnerd said:

About 300 of these Renault Celtaquatres were sold in New Zealand in the late 1930s. They were marketed as Renault 12s, as I guess most would not have been able to pronounce the original name easily.

Renault (2).jpg

To my eye this looks a lot like a 7/8 sized 1937 Ford. I like it.

53 minutes ago, ericmac said:

To my eye this looks a lot like a 7/8 sized 1937 Ford. I like it.

Quite a few European makes mimicked elements of American styling through the late 1920 and 1930s. Particularly with the larger German models - eg Horchs - it confuses some when trying to identify them - there are suggestions of an American make but often there are hints of more than one make on the one car.

Here's the local Hudson dealer in the late 30s. It later became the AMC/Rambler dealer and this location was open into the 80s. Unfortunately it's just an empty lot now, but the Peterson company is still in business.

Fall-1939-12th-Main-Idaho-Dealers-picking-up-the-1940-Hudson-800x581.jpg.92956936f5ea883bf21fd531653b6ae3.jpg

And here's some demolition work:

default.jpg.8fa1b073257a6c97d7fd75d9748dbac6.jpg

• Like 1

From the annual Vehicle Yearbook a hardbound multi page volume that gave a listing of body, chassis, axle etc manufacturers to the industry that catered to same. Also a listing ( with address, officers etc) of all vehicle manufacturers and body manufacturers. This is from the 1918 edition does not mention the body designer or manufacturer. It notes the car is an 8 passenger on the "48" chassis. Note at lower left is the supplier of the photograph Ware Bros. who produced Motor Vehicle Monthly magazine  as well as this annual volume..

PIERCEA1918sedan001.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

From the annual Vehicle Yearbook a hardbound multi page volume that gave a listing of body, chassis, axle etc manufacturers to the industry that catered to same. Also a listing ( with address, officers etc) of all vehicle manufacturers and body manufacturers. This is from the 1918 edition does not mention the body designer or manufacturer. It notes the car is an 8 passenger on the "48" chassis. Note at lower left is the supplier of the photograph Ware Bros. who produced Motor Vehicle Monthly magazine  as well as this annual volume..

PIERCEA1918sedan001.jpg

Walt,  looks like a typical Pierce Arrow body to me!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Walt,  looks like a typical Pierce Arrow body to me!

Your car had an accident........tomorrow.🤯

• Haha 2

I thought it a bit odd that the only running board was a fold down one for the rear door, also to get to the front seat you had to walk through the middle of the front seat once in the car? Front fenders shaped  back to eliminate running board for front passengers due to no front doors. "bobbed" rear fenders. Lots going on here if you look at the car,  Quite possibly an all metal roof that was formed in two halves and joined at the center with no fabric on the outside at center??? very very narrow windshield and door posts for the era.

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, edinmass said:

The first green car.......

5C5DA8D1-8446-420E-B1DA-EEF58ED29ECE.png

Green car? No , fast set and stick oatmeal , about 160 lbs worth , after the parade that coating was donated to the Wayward home for hungry chillin.

Chillin didn't eat it they used it to build a retaining wall . Read about dat in a magazine.🙄

47 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Nah,,, crusher is more fitting... I'm stickin to it ;) 

Actually,  I think it got crushed by the snow.  It last surfaced in the 1950s.   What is amazing to me,  besides the fact that they built it so fast, was that nobody did any rough calculations on the tread size of the wheels to realize it would never move in the snow.    There is a reason most snow vehicles are tracked.   At least those smooth tires needed to be studded.

This is a good article if anyone is interested.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37291/scientists-find-probable-location-of-massive-polar-exploration-vehicle-lost-for-decades

SnowCruiser.jpg

• Like 2

This thread has gone on for 281 pages and almost a year. I think it’s time to thank the original poster Walt G.  He has often described himself as an art teacher but he is really an artist as he is responsible for the title page of the CCCA book by Beverly Rae Kimes —The Classic Car—. A book I received as a Xmas gift and am enjoying reading very much. I believe this is the pic. I hope Walt is OK with me posting it here. 
dave s 

1CE59802-BECC-4FF8-9183-307FB66B7DE7.jpeg

• Like 9