Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

Loretta Young

LORETTA YOUNG IN HER CIRCA 1930 PACKARD ROADSTER*M.W* - Image 759_141

Sold by Earl C Anthony the car is now in Arizona, low mileage original.

• Thanks 1

The finest of the Classic Automobile era and the same era Hollywood elites are a match made in heaven. Many of Hollywood's best elites had and drove many of the best automobiles the world had to offer in those days.True, I personally favor somewhat earlier cars, the brass and nickel eras, but the Classic era follows closely behind. And seeing stars of many movies I fondly remember in cars they drove, whether for the movies, or in their daily lives, is a combination that I truly enjoy!

A few hours ago, Pilgrim65 said;

"Great images from many 30s films , showing beautiful amazing cars but I wonder as many of these films may have been produced by the same studio , has anyone spotted the same car in more than one film., just curious, would make sense "

I have been wondering the same thing. I spent some time looking at several pictures comparing details, and don't really have an answer. A few pages back, there were a number of photos of Duesenberg town cars and a few sedans. A few of the town cars had a slightly V'ed split windshield. Several had the more common single flat windshield. Most of the pictures I could not see the license plate, and other minor details were difficult to tell. I am sure a Duesenberg authority could identify most of the cars to their factory number. 

Auburns were similarly confusing, although in a somewhat different way. I could tell many that although were similar, were different year and/or models, others? Some were so very similar, but with somewhat different trimming, paint on the moldings, or spare tire covers. However when the pictures were from different films? Studios often made minor changes to details like that. Entire automobiles were often painted for a single film.

Having read a fair amount of film history and trivia over the years. I have often seen where producer's or star's cars were used in films. In some cases, a car would be purchased by a studio, and after the film completed, sell it to one of their people, or stars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Going out on a limb with limb saw in hand, this was a 1930 Pierce-Arrow Series A with convertible sedan body by Rollston.  Ed?

'30 Pierce-Arrow Series A conv sedan - body by Rollston a.jpg

'30 Pierce-Arrow Series A conv sedan - body by Rollston b.jpg

'30 Pierce-Arrow Series A conv sedan - body by Rollston c.jpg

Cool....never seen anything like it..............could be a Dietrich....trunk throws me off a bit. Waterhouse also built one of these in 30. Too bad the photos are not detailed.

image.thumb.png.7fb2ab0e2960290ce2a228e89dbf91f6.png

'30 Pierce-Arrow Series A conv sedan - body by Rollston a.jpg

I am leaning towards these being the same car - the movie featured is "Fashioned by Function" and it is a 1933 Documentary (58L-Y8 cut and pasted photos verse "quoting" whole post).  The reason why I am leaning to same car is approximate colors,the totally painted spare tire cover with PA "strap", PA door handles, and door hinges front and rear being in same spot.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Here is an "odd duck" that appears to be a  customized 1934 Cadillac (Cadillac door handles, Cadillac wheels w/chrome wheel disk covers, Cadillac lights, Cadillac grill, and Cadillac bi=plane bumpers) ?

Always Goodbye - 1938

Cadillac unknown

al19.jpg

Always Goodbye (1938)

Update:  Film is on youtube and car comes in at about 55:00 

Add'l Update:  Possibly this car with different hood side panels

Willet-brown-1934-lasalle.jpg

Photo: Willet-Brown-34-LaSalle-02 | 1934 LaSalle Willet Brown ...

Photo: Willet-Brown-34-LaSalle-03 | 1934 LaSalle Willet Brown ...

Photo: Willet-Brown-34-LaSalle-03 | 1934 LaSalle Willet Brown ...

1934 LaSalle Boattail Roadster built by Frank Kurtis for Willet Brown manager of Don Lee's Los Angeles Station KHJ. Frank built the car from a wrecked 1934 LaSalle Coupe. He kept the stock hood, doors and fenders, and rolled the tops of the doors and cowl a la Auburn Speedster to form a cockpit topped with a handmade veed windshield. The after-section was completely hand-formed and tapered to a point with sheet metal bridging the gap to the rear fenders. The original runningboards were ash-canned and replaced by small wingshaped steps patterned after the 1930 Jordan Speedway Ace roadster. The car was still around in 1980, and owned by comedian Doodles Weaver.[1]

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)