Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

On 4/28/2024 at 11:24 AM, A Woolf said:

Stanley-ModelH.JPG.b0af0137a170f87e2463f76f22eecfef.JPG

H4 or H5 Stanley.  Better known as a Gentleman's Speedy Roadster.   

It looks like an early square tail model H. Note the flat dash and the left drive that was also common on the early H.  Interestingly though, this car appears to have outboard rear brakes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, alsancle said:

image.jpeg.64d421d6eb35db78938ef340e6d8d60e.jpeg

Now that’s an unusual body. What would that body style be considered with the folding rear roof? Also, who would be the car manufacturer? Thanks for sharing, I learn a lot from things like this. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BobinVirginia said:

Now that’s an unusual body. What would that body style be considered with the folding rear roof? Also, who would be the car manufacturer? Thanks for sharing, I learn a lot from things like this. 

“landaulette”

Don’t know the manufacturer.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

From a trade show somewhere, Lazarnick Collection, from the Detroit Public Library automotive history collection. Example of a 1912 Peerless Model "24-4", most likely, offered at $4,200-4,300 according to Peerless Automobiles In The Brass Era: 1900-1915, pg 176. That was the lowest price possible for a Peerless in 1912, of their 5 models, unless one was simply obtaining a chassis for a coachbuilder.

view

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, John E. Guitar said:

Rio de Janeiro

AvenidaRioBrancoRiodeJaneiro.jpg.a78094833a5f6b546f07fb4056490c79.jpg

Walt G should love this one! Wow, the architecture, the street lamps. What an incredible street scene!

Thank you John E G.

• Like 3

Unfortunately only few buildings remain untouched. During 1950s to 1970s, they were replaced by box type tall buildings, and street lamps removed. In early 1900, the Rio de Janeiro city center was completely remodeled, producing this beautiful avenue, but local modernist architects in the 1930/40s continuously devalue these buildings so they were not preserved.

I was about to contact my good friend JRA about that Wayne! SO sad to read that "progress" took its toll on the wonderful architecture.  All the craftsmen that did that stone work most likely did not pass on their skills , same as here in the USA , so not only are the structures lost but the ability to even make them again.  There is most likely a rubble pile with all that beautiful stone, iron lamps etc buried as a record of past grandeur. I look at that photo and think " I want to be in that building and that one and that one looking out the window at the upper floors at what is across the street.....................

• Like 5

21 hours ago, RetroPetro said:

IMG_6954.jpeg

I couldn’t identify the car, what is it?