Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Ambassador bridge opening

image.png.2ea0716efb535069490a6c1bab9f6ce6.png

The man in the center holding a top hat looks like President Hoover.           John

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Walt G said:

Refreshments in glass bottles with metal bottle caps ( not the twist off kind) and was it beer or"soda pop". Now rarely do people use the 'pop' second word of description. Everything is abbreviated to communicate faster and with less effort: Soda ( no POP) , Pebble ( No Beach) , Amelia ( No Island) , before you know it we will all be using less words for cities/destinations : we will be going to San, or New, or Los, etc.

Well, Walt, west of the Mississippi, lots of us westerners still use the words "soda pop" and "pop".

Maybe you need to get out more😁😁.

"Pop" is most commonly associated with the Midwest and in most of the West, including the Mountain- and the Pacific Northwest. These include Illinois, Ohio, Minnesota, Michigan, Kansas, Oklahoma, Indiana, Iowa, Colorado, Oregon, Washington and Alaska.

States such as New York, New Hampshire, Virginia and Florida call the beverage “soda”. Other states such as Oregon, Maine, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma and Montana call it “pop” while southern states such as Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana refer to any version of the bubbly drink as “Coke”.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, E-116-YH said:

Hello Walt,

It is my opinion that these abbreviations are used mainly because people are not so much in a hurry as they are LAZY.

That and the lack of upper case letters tells me they are using a cell phone. 

4 hours ago, f.f.jones said:

Here's more photos of Jerome, Arizona where the Verde open pit copper mine operated and where the above truck and loader picture was taken.

Jerome Arizona – Western Mining History

Note "Automobiles for Hire" sign above first roadster on the left.

Heyday:

United Verde Mine at Jerome

Today:

Jerome, AZ Mining Remains

Jerome AZ: A Wicked Good Ghost Town | SheBuysTravel

Can't forget those who fought fires on that big hill in AZ or one of the trucks that was used in the early days still in use for parades and joy rides for kids of all ages :) .

IMG_2167.JPG

IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2145.JPG

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

That and the lack of upper case letters tells me they are using a cell phone. 

If I have a poor post from a grammatical perspective there is a 100% chance I'm trying to dictate it from my cell phone.  I go back and try to correct the mistakes but often don't find all of them.

You could argue don't use the cellphone but my brilliant thought will be gone by the time I'm in front of a computer.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ed, Who was the coachbuilder? I like the wider channeled effect, was access to the toolboxes blocked? 

After 1925, Cadillac's primary coachbuilders were reliably Fisher for production styles and Fleetwood for series and full custom styles such as this Style 4260 5-passenger Sport Phaeton, with few exceptions.

'30 Cadillac Sixteen Fleetwood Style 4260 5-passenger Sport Phaeton - Pace Car.png

• Like 2

On 12/20/2022 at 11:51 AM, Walt G said:

Refreshments in glass bottles with metal bottle caps ( not the twist off kind) and was it beer or"soda pop". Now rarely do people use the 'pop' second word of description. Everything is abbreviated to communicate faster and with less effort: Soda ( no POP) , Pebble ( No Beach) , Amelia ( No Island) , before you know it we will all be using less words for cities/destinations : we will be going to San, or New, or Los, etc.

Walt G (No Gosden). :) 

Sorry, I had to do it!

Phil

• Haha 1

"Imported cars lining the street across from the Northern Hotel, circa 1915. Every summer Billings real estate maven Austin North placed ads in east coast newspapers challenging the wealthy to test their automobiles in scenic Montana. The Rockefellers and Du Ponts of the world loaded their fancy vehicles onto trains and attracted crowds upon arriving on Billings streets. Contributed by the North family. Published by Pediment Publishing with the cooperation of the Billings Gazette."

Montana Memory Project

22230-max?u=2022-04-13+17%3A31%3A33

• Like 2