Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Jack Johnson, Heavy Weight Boxing Champion had an eye for fine cars. 

56.jpg

The British Standard - this one is circa 1907-08 I think - later Standard-Triumph - not to be confused with the more than one(?) American maker who used the same name.

Im1906Au-Stan267.jpg

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

English AUSTIN logo on the radiator, they did make large cars early on. 

204245484_JJ1.jpg.eda9873ae427480c19cfc5

One of four built for the 1908 French Grand Prix at Dieppe - 100hp six cylinder 9.7 litre. This one looks to have been converted into a road car. One example has survived.

• Like 1

The warehouse of J Ballantyne and Co, Christchurch, New Zealand, probably just post WW1. The vehicle second from left is a circa 1913 Unic which has survived. It was first restored in the early 1950s and has been with the same family ever since.

Ballantynes rem ch 021121 (2).jpg

13 DW1913 Unic C7 Palmers car Barb P photo Hororata 1120.jpg

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Nope. Too many differences. Belt molding is different. Lug nut count is different. Hood louvers are different.

Right you are. I was too focused on the lights. It looks a lot like my '25 Buick but I can't find a Buick with that body style.

7 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

Right you are. I was too focused on the lights. It looks a lot like my '25 Buick but I can't find a Buick with that body style.

When I first saw the old photos I thought the hub caps were too small for it o be a Buick but I realise now they are correct.

Yes you are right there seems to be a paucity of photos of the 1925 Model 26 Buick coupe. The literature mentions both a Model 26  - a basic coupe - and a Model 26 S Sport Coupe but my copy of 70 Years of Buick does not explain the difference. It does say that the Model 26 had the dummy landau irons.

There are more pics of the Model 28 four passenger coupe - which has the same moulding - 

See the source image

2 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

When I first saw the old photos I thought the hub caps were too small for it o be a Buick but I realise now they are correct.

Yes you are right there seems to be a paucity of photos of the 1925 Model 26 Buick coupe. The literature mentions both a Model 26  - a basic coupe - and a Model 26 S Sport Coupe but my copy of 70 Years of Buick does not explain the difference. It does say that the Model 26 had the dummy landau irons.

There are more pics of the Model 28 four passenger coupe - which has the same moulding - 

See the source image

I hadn't seen a Model 25-6-26 picture until now. Here's one from the sales brochure. 

1925 Buick Model 626.jpg

Interesting photo.  The DIY mechanic tearing down an engine inside a building while wearing a hat, necktie, vest with pocket watch, and a watch FOB dangling. He is a well dressed busted knuckle mechanic.

10 Buick 001.jpg

The posted photo of the 05-07 American Mercedes caused me to look into the American Mercedes.  The advertisement for American Mercedes (noted by the source as 1906) has the interesting lines, "Parts price of the Mercedes, $7,500" and "New York price of the American Mercedes, $7,500".  The ad also shows the selling company as Daimler Manufacturing Company in New York City.

Questions arise: 1.  Did the Mercedes automobile parts arrive in NYC as a method to circumvent importation of an assembled vehicle?  2.  Saying that assembly of a complete Mercedes car from parts was performed in the USA, was there an assembly charge on top of the $7,500 price of parts?  3.  Why was Daimler working as an agent for Mercedes; weren't those separate companies?

One last thought, consulting an on-line inflation calculator that begins with year 1913 rather than 1906, the Mercedes car parts originally cost $7,500 but would cost in year 2022 $224,478.  It is hard to imagine that in the 1906 (1913?) time period one-quarter million dollars purchased car parts with some assembly required.

American Mercedes 1905-07.jpg

06 American Mercedes ad.jpg

12 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

The posted photo of the 05-07 American Mercedes caused me to look into the American Mercedes.  The advertisement for American Mercedes (noted by the source as 1906) has the interesting lines, "Parts price of the Mercedes, $7,500" and "New York price of the American Mercedes, $7,500".  The ad also shows the selling company as Daimler Manufacturing Company in New York City.

Questions arise: 1.  Did the Mercedes automobile parts arrive in NYC as a method to circumvent importation of an assembled vehicle?  2.  Saying that assembly of a complete Mercedes car from parts was performed in the USA, was there an assembly charge on top of the $7,500 price of parts?  3.  Why was Daimler working as an agent for Mercedes; weren't those separate companies?

One last thought, consulting an on-line inflation calculator that begins with year 1913 rather than 1906, the Mercedes car parts originally cost $7,500 but would cost in year 2022 $224,478.  It is hard to imagine that in the 1906 (1913?) time period one-quarter million dollars purchased car parts with some assembly required.

The ad also states Canada.

I wonder what the Canadian price would have been.  Toronto or Montreal would have most likely been the Canadian sales outlet.  Would they have been delivered to port in NYC first before being delivered to Canada?

Craig

19 hours ago, edinmass said:

Not much better than this………almost looks like a photo shopped…..

F2DFB001-18AC-4469-95CD-8DB7332A9516.png

Super sharp image. Beautiful. If it was photoshopped wish they would of blackened the whitewalls. Too distracting from the body lines. I like the covered side mounts matching the top and covering the bright white.

4 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

American Mercedes 1905-07.jpg

Mercedes cars were built by Daimler. It was Benz that was the separate company - until it combined with Daimler in 1926 to form Daimler-Benz, and build Mercedes-Benz cars, and trucks etc.