Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

5 hours ago, LCK81403 said:

Correct, this American has not known about a '57 Chrysler Royal AP-1.  Interesting photo and thank you for sharing.  Do you have more photos of the car?  From seeing the single view it is difficult to speculate about the styling basis for the car.  Reviewing photos of U.S. Chrysler models dating from 1957 and earlier, the 57 Chrysler Royal AP-1 looks nothing like the U.S. Chrysler.  The front end appears to suggest styling by Holden of England.  The 1961-62 Holden EK model has somewhat of the frontal design of the '57 Chrysler Royal AP-1.

57 Chrysler Royal AP-1 New Zealand 1960s.jpg

61-62 Holden EK Special Station Sedan.jpg

If you read the wiki article about the Chrysler Royal that I linked there you will see the reason why it came about. One positive from it was that being a full chassis car at a time when makers were going to uni-body construction it provided the basis for a generation of ambulances and hearses.

Holden was not English, it was Australian. It had connections to GM from as early as the late teens (it became part of GM in 1931), and even though their cars are regarded as 'purely' Australian they always had connections to Detroit (and in later years to GM Europe). The styling influences for EK and its immediate predecessors can be seen in the '55 Chev.

Point taken from Walt about the photo being 'out of period'. I don't often look at the post WW2 page.

5 hours ago, Walt G said:

Great photos of the Australian Chrysler Royal but we are starting to stray a bit beyond the era that this thread is located under - Pre WWII era vehicles.  If it would be possible perhaps someone could start a post WII era period photos of the era thread ? Not a complaint , just trying to continue to stay on focus of the era after 2 years of contributions.  I can well understand and appreciate the enthusiasm to want to contribute but please try to stay with what the intention was when it started. Thank you.

Point taken. There is already a Post WW2 page, it is just that I spend more time on the Pre WW2 one.

4 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

May be an image of 3 people and outdoors

Very nice! I have no idea in regards to the truck manufacturer however a close look (it gets a bit grainy) indicated that the load might be a horizontal boring machine produced by the Universal Boring Machine Company of Hudson, Mass. They were founded in 1907 and operated until 1947 when they were purchased by the Bullard Machine Tool Company. (www.VintageMachinery.org)

download.jpg.0dafbb848c044eed6be6c351bfbaaeb7.jpg

What else can we tell from this photo? Well... the boring machine was (or was being) shipped via the Boston & Maine Railroad to Newport Vt. Then by the Canadian Pacific. The last carrier appears to have been the Wabash (C&NW) Whether the purchaser was the same Simmons Company that evolved from a humble cheese box factory to making Beauty Rest mattresses I do not know.

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Terry Harper said:

Very nice! I have no idea in regards to the truck manufacturer however a close look (it gets a bit grainy) indicated that the load might be a horizontal boring machine produced by the Universal Boring Machine Company of Hudson, Mass. They were founded in 1907 and operated until 1947 when they were purchased by the Bullard Machine Tool Company. (www.VintageMachinery.org)

download.jpg.0dafbb848c044eed6be6c351bfbaaeb7.jpg

What else can we tell from this photo? Well... the boring machine was (or was being) shipped via the Boston & Maine Railroad to Newport Vt. Then by the Canadian Pacific. Unfortunately I can't make out the last carrier. Whether the purchaser was the same Simmons Company that evolved from a humble cheese box factory to making Beauty Rest mattresses I do not know.

The truck is a Packard as far as I can tell.  Not sure of the year or model but I reckon it is quite early - circa 1910.

10 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

The truck is a Packard as far as I can tell.  Not sure of the year or model but I reckon it is quite early - circa 1910.

Yes, this photo was dated 1915 but I don’t know if that is correct. I have no idea when Packard switched completely to shaft drive.

6B878511-C8E0-4492-95C9-DB6C506D90EB.jpeg.8f9764364d92a7998f52f70560440a0c.jpeg

Packard Hubbard Woods dealership in Chicago.  Parabolics and door accent trim, I'm guessing 6th series 1929.  Somebody put a high intensity light behind that chair, made a great shadow of the car on the wall.  And highlights the need for some new carpeting under that table full of brochures! 

1929PackardHubbardWood_000057.jpg

Edited by HK500 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

s-l1600-1.jpg.7b91ea81b33be45294d007167e

The Mercedes team at the 1914 French Grand Prix. Car #28 (Lautenschlager) was first, car #40 (Wagner) was second and car #39 (Salzer) was third. The other two cars failed to finish. Apparently Belgian driver Theodore Pilette in #41 missed a gear change and over-revved his engine. In 1913 he was fifth in the Indy 500. Both Pilette's son and grandson also became racing drivers. I remember his grandson, also Theodore but known as Teddy, racing in the 1971 and 1972 Tasman Series, which in that era was for Formula 5000 (Formula A in the US). I think he liked to party, though as far as I know he is still with us.. 

On 4/19/2022 at 6:53 PM, HK500 said:

Packard Hubbard Woods dealership in Chicago.  Parabolics and door accent trim, I'm guessing 6th series 1929.  Somebody put a high intensity light behind that chair, made a great shadow of the car on the wall.  And highlights the need for some new carpeting under that table full of brochures! 

1929PackardHubbardWood_000057.jpg

At first I thought that was one of the 634 Speedsters, but didn't speeders come with a non-folding windshield?  Also, notice the hood door.  Optional 3-door hood for the 626 & 633?

Capt. Harley😉

2 hours ago, twin6 said:

Belated thanks to all who help identify the cars in photos.  I hope Walt's thread keeps on providing stress relief as well as an educational opportunity.  May we never tire of it....

tired (1).jpg

tired (2).jpg

The girl in the second photo looks rather modern for the times with her jump suit and hair. Compare her to my 17 year old aunt in 1918.

005.jpg

• Like 2

Ah, the classic cheesecake pose with a tire.  Ajax tires had the lock on advertising like that.  Not only were the tire ads interesting, grandpa didn't need to avert his eyes from the ad when grandma was around.  Plus the tires were guaranteed for 5,000 miles.  What's not to love?

07 Ajax Tires.JPG

07 Ajax Tires 02-02.JPG

07 Ajax Tires 01-02.JPG

• Like 1

Camping in Australia - in the 1930s I think. In both cases the cars are several years old. 1923(?) Essex and 1928(?) Packard.

First one from Queensland archives

May be an image of 3 people, child, people standing and outdoors

Port Lincoln, South Australia. Any thoughts on the model of Packard? This photo may even be post WW2 - really nothing to reference it.

May be an image of outdoors