Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Here is a colorized picture from the Caribou, Maine website.

This image is available from the United States Library of Congress's Prints and Photographs division under the digital ID fsac.1a33845. This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.

Trucks outside of a starch factory in Caribou, Aroostook County, Maine, October 1940. Reproduction from color slide.

1280px-Caribou_maine.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Here is a colorized picture from the Caribou, Maine website.

This image is available from the United States Library of Congress's Prints and Photographs division under the digital ID fsac.1a33845. This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing for more information.

Trucks outside of a starch factory in Caribou, Aroostook County, Maine, October 1940. Reproduction from color slide.

1280px-Caribou_maine.jpg

Thank you Larry,

I Just passed the site of this photo earlier this evening - The station and the branch of the Canadian Pacific Railroad that served it are long gone. I don't even want to think about how many of those wooden potato barrels I filled in my youth! School still takes a three week harvest break but hand picking potatoes is a treasure youth today will never experience.

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)

On 4/7/2022 at 3:38 PM, LCK81403 said:

Regarding the United truck.  In "The Automobile" of September 1, 1910, page 382, column 2, the article said the following:  "A record was established recently by a two-ton United States Motor truck on a three days' run from Cincinnati to Chicago.  The distance of 361.4 miles was covered in about 26 hours and 15 minutes.  Twenty-six gallons of gasoline and two and one-half gallons of oil were consumed on the trip.  The demonstration was made by Norman S. Hill, sales manager of the United States Motor Truck Company of Cincinnati...."

Another article in the same publication, dated January 20, 1921, column 1, page 148, under "Financial Notes", related that United States Motor Truck Co. paid on Jan. 10 the annual 7 per cent cash dividend....

Unfortunately I have no photos of a United States truck, or possibly the one and the same "United" truck.  I have no non-U.S. listing for a United truck.  The 1910 and 1921 articles show that United States Motor Truck Company was in operation for at least 11 years, or more, yet photos of a United States truck are very hard to find.  A June 15, 1916 ad for a United States Motor Truck does not show front fenders and radiator similar to the "United" truck which may or may not be related to different production years, or totally different trucks.

United States Motor Truck ad June 15 1916.jpg

More on the subject of 'United'. It appears that the vehicle in my photo had previously been a bus, one of about 20 that were in service in the Auckland area in the 1920s.

This is an ad from the local newspaper, The Herald, from May 1927. 

Web capture_10-4-2022_135625_www.facebook.com.jpeg

Time for me to post another sincere THANK YOU to all reading this, to AACA, and the volunteers and paid staff, the moderators etc. for this thread that was started on March 12, 2020. It has now achieved over 400 pages and over 400,000 views. I am in shock , just numb. Proves to me that there are a heck of a lot of people out there who really enjoy Pre WWII era vehicles. We are a strong community of people who embrace history and by looking at this and contributing to it ( with photos and learned comments with information) it is solid proof to all historical societies, organizations, libraries, museums, state and local officials  etc. how strong the AACA community of enthusiasts are.  You should all be proud of yourselves , I know I am of all of you - well almost all of you 😉😇  😆

Walt

FRANKLINseries153front.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Let's keep this going....800.....1000+ pages!

No reason to let good things come to an end just because it hits a certain number.  I've learned more from this thread here than any other, although others have come close, such as the Porter thread.

Craig

• Like 2

Sure, this learning experience needs to continue.  Regarding the 1930s photo of Main Street, Montrose, Colorado.  In addition to the old movie theater in town that has a round, sort of Egyptian look, this city still operates a outdoor, drive-in theater in the summer.  There are few drive-in theaters in operation and this small rural southwest Colorado town has one.

Many thanks to Walt, the contributors and especially AACA for allowing and supporting this! Here's a FIAT with a Quinby body to start the week.  To me, the motorists are as interesting as the car. The closeup shows the Quinby plate and also shows that the pipe smoking passenger wore spats.  You just don't see many motorists today wearing spats and bearskin coats.

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

• Like 6

Way back on page one of this thread, 'edinmass' posted a photo of a car with the caption, "Not an easy car to ID".  The car's radiator shape is unique and its shape flows back into the top of the hood.  The radiator's top is sort of like a Minerva's and several other cars.  However, what is more mysterious is this:  the man in the white shirt appears to be sitting on a flat surface that somewhat resembles a short running board protruding from the side of the vehicle, and the protrusion is extended over the actual running board of the car.  As well, a man wearing a cap has his left leg hiked up and resting on that same protrusion.  There does not appear to be an open car door and therefore the man sitting cannot be sitting on the floor of the car with a door open.  As well it appears the car is right-hand drive.  A rather large, nearly body width case is secured on the roof possibly suggesting it is a container for a traveling group's entertainment belongings (special clothing, objects to support an act).

While this guessitmation is that the car may be a Minerva, other photos of Minerva's of the apparent time period show such cars with wire wheels and differently configured windshield areas.  The wheels on this mystery car somehow appear to be of the German persuasion.

DBAAFAB4-9FBC-4E41-923A-A69DF6A4C658.thumb.png.b2af7d7f9bf1eb3accef25533eea4557.png

27 Minerva AK.jpg

• Like 2

those are wheel disc covering the wire wheels, a very popular accessory at the time especially in Europe and England. IN England ACE was the main manufacturer of these for all brands of cars. Most had both inner and outer discs to cover the wire wheels.   They helped keep the dust and dirt off the wheels and were easier to wipe clean. That box on the running board could be a bolt on tool compartment or for spare parts etc to have on long trips. The roof trunk tells us that the occupants were in for a long journey and thus the car was equipped to accommodate that. Service centers for cars were a fair distance apart in Europe at the time just like in the USA, most were prevalent near larger cities . Car is indeed a Minerva, you can sort of make out the distinct Minerva goddess ( helmeted head figure) radiator ornament where the light is reflecting off some raised areas.

23 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

OK0Y=&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0&sres=1&sresctGREAT PHOTO! There is something special about Model T & A Ford factory photos in the winter time. Note that the hood, body and box have a flat finish unlike the fenders, a time and cost saving feature of truck production . 

That spare tire almost looks retouched in that photo.

Thanks, Walt, I could not see wire wheels on the car behind the covers.  But I do see the wire wheel under the cover on that green Minerva.  And I think you are correct about the Minerva goddess lurking in the dark, it is very hard to see but knowing that it should be there it is then detected.

19 hours ago, Walt G said:

Time for me to post another sincere THANK YOU to all reading this, to AACA, and the volunteers and paid staff, the moderators etc. for this thread that was started on March 12, 2020. It has now achieved over 400 pages and over 400,000 views. I am in shock , just numb. Proves to me that there are a heck of a lot of people out there who really enjoy Pre WWII era vehicles. We are a strong community of people who embrace history and by looking at this and contributing to it ( with photos and learned comments with information) it is solid proof to all historical societies, organizations, libraries, museums, state and local officials  etc. how strong the AACA community of enthusiasts are.  You should all be proud of yourselves , I know I am of all of you - well almost all of you 😉😇  😆

Walt

FRANKLINseries153front.jpg

Walt, lets add a little color to it!

27 - Copy.JPG

29.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, with all the current talk about how electric vehicles will now be the way to go to save the environment, world and humanity we will take a look back at how this same idea was current over a century ago in Europe - electrics were the new wave in horseless carriages, men wore hats - panama and derby ( now that I can agree should be current, especially the derby - we can all look like Stan & Ollie! ) Plug her in fellas.

First photo with the flower draped car and the umbrella holding damsel perched on the rear of the car on her rea........ anyway is Jenatzy  ( he is the driver) in the "Jamais Contenre" after his victory in 1899. this is in France , notice how small the wheels/tires are.

Second photo is in 1896 and electric coupe with Morris & ? can't make out the name clearly, rear of photo notes it was printed by Joseph Klima Jr. Photographer of Detroit ( before zip code era so has to be at least 60-70 year old print) If you can see it there is a huge drive gear on the inside of the front wheel - love the look of the painted wheels with the spokes and panels between the spokes - all wood sanded and polished to perfection.

Jenatzy Jamais Contente in 1899.jpg

electric coupe 1896.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, Walt nailed it.  It must be a tool box.  Another observable point about the photo:  the seated man wearing a white shirt.  It appears that he possesses the upper part of his right arm, and the lower part of the upper arm plus the entire lower arm is missing.  Notice that his shirt sleeve appears to be empty and the cuff of the sleeve is tucked into his trouser pocket.

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

Ok, with all the current talk about how electric vehicles will now be the way to go to save the environment, world and humanity we will take a look back at how this same idea was current over a century ago in Europe - electrics were the new wave in horseless carriages, men wore hats - panama and derby ( now that I can agree should be current, especially the derby - we can all look like Stan & Ollie! ) Plug her in fellas.

First photo with the flower draped car and the umbrella holding damsel perched on the rear of the car on her rea........ anyway is Jenatzy  ( he is the driver) in the "Jamais Contenre" after his victory in 1899. this is in France , notice how small the wheels/tires are.

Second photo is in 1896 and electric coupe with Morris & ? can't make out the name clearly, rear of photo notes it was printed by Joseph Klima Jr. Photographer of Detroit ( before zip code era so has to be at least 60-70 year old print) If you can see it there is a huge drive gear on the inside of the front wheel - love the look of the painted wheels with the spokes and panels between the spokes - all wood sanded and polished to perfection.

Jenatzy Jamais Contente in 1899.jpg

electric coupe 1896.jpg

That front wheel drive cab won't go far on that left front tyre.

I think there was quite a large fleet of Krieger electric taxis in New York but only for a relatively brief period.

From the info with this post card it seems they were in London as well. How many I have no idea but by about 1908 they began to import large numbers of petrol-powered Unics to use as taxis, and there were other makes involved as well - Napier was one.

image.png

The important thing re the Jenatzy car was that it was the first car purpose built to attempt the record, the first to go over 100kph, and it was the last electric car to take the record

2050348641_JenatzyJamaisContentein1899.j

For his earlier attempts - only a few weeks before the 100kph run - he used this electric dogcart. Still managed 80 kph.

Camille_Jenatzy%2C_le_17_janvier_1899_%C

Lots more here  - Camille Jenatzy - Wikiwand

His main competitor was  - https://www.wikiwand.com/fr/Gaston_de_Chasseloup-Lauba

I left the French version in the link as it seems to have more info. English can be selected at top right.

It is noticeable that even though both competing purpose built electrics had 'aerodynamic' shapes, the driver remained exposed in the air stream on both.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, twin6 said:

Many thanks to Walt, the contributors and especially AACA for allowing and supporting this! Here's a FIAT with a Quinby body to start the week.  To me, the motorists are as interesting as the car. The closeup shows the Quinby plate and also shows that the pipe smoking passenger wore spats.  You just don't see many motorists today wearing spats and bearskin coats.

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

I wonder if the car in this link with lots of photos of a surviving example is the same actual car. I guess they must have sold a few but they were a seriously expensive piece of kit.

1905 FIAT 60HP Five-Passenger Tourer by Quinby & Co. (car-revs-daily.com)

30 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

Yes, Walt nailed it.  It must be a tool box.  Another observable point about the photo:  the seated man wearing a white shirt.  It appears that he possesses the upper part of his right arm, and the lower part of the upper arm plus the entire lower arm is missing.  Notice that his shirt sleeve appears to be empty and the cuff of the sleeve is tucked into his trouser pocket.

And his right leg is unnaturally straight. Possibly a wooden leg? Maybe a WW1 vet whose right side was exposed to an explosion?