Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

Never saw that report.......and for the record, the numbers listed at the time are hugely inflated. I know the J was involved in some litigation.......I don’t know if the P1 was..........the cars were well known in the Northeast.........the story went that it was some kind of “find” than no one knew about..........hell, I knew the two cars were there while I was in my teens. I have photos of Fred Roe looking over both cars in my files somewhere.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

On 2/1/2022 at 4:34 PM, George K said:

You must be talking about these cars.B703F67D-55C9-4B55-BB4B-E11533AABFCA.jpeg.40d5537362670cf26d1f88a377fe11c8.jpegb8790EA02-2313-407A-81F9-58742B9B6E14.jpeg.59436e529c513e13ef227bcb32828e9f.jpeg3093A6BD-4DC8-43FC-951A-D5CDA4B6DD8B.jpeg.c3cff3aa520c3f4f3bea030c45c86a05.jpeg

There were two cars in the parking garage (and at one time a third - a Bugatti)- A Duesenberg Town Car now owned by Jay Leno and a 1930 RRPI Newmarket Convertible Sedan.  I tried to buy the Newmarket from the owner and we could not come to terms on price and I tried to buy the Newmarket again from the parking garage and could not come to terms on price (The RR had an aluminum cylinder head and I was well aware of that saga - matched being kind of crusty having been sitting since the 1950's via a recommissioned to attend an early AACA event).  What was fun was the owner knew other people like himself who had RR cars (including another original family owned PI) stashed away within walking distance.   At the time John DeCampi was helping me find a RR, but the contact came much more close via a friend who's mom was a long time headliner at the Tropicana (I just casually mentioned one day and he said: "Oh, let me get you the owner's phone number from my address book"). 

This is the Rolls Royce:  https://www.gullwingmotorcars.com/1930-rolls-royce-phantom-i-convertible-sedan-c-980.htm

It sold a number of times:  https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21223/lot/523/

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Driving around Palm Beach the other day in the JN a guy walked up to me in the parking lot and was asking about the car. Ten minutes later as I was going to leave he commented.......I miss looking at my grandfather’s old cars when I was a kid. Remember.....this guy is third generation old Palm Beach. So I asked what were the cars? The answer was Two Hispano’s , a Phantom I, a Lincoln, and a Cord......all BOUGHT NEW by his grandfather. Anyways.....I got to asking about them, sure enough they have a box with ALL the paperwork on them. Photos, bills of sale, correspondence with coach builders including photos of the cars as chassis with canvas fenders so they could drive them while the bodies were being built! Long story short, he’s coming to visit at the museum next week with all the original files. He’s going to leave them with me to scan. One Hispano was a coupe......that’s all I know.........more when I get my hands on the stuff.

• Like 11

This gives you some sizing.   The Akron was  785 feet, putting it between the first Graf Zepplin and the Hiddenburg/Graf II.

For those that don't know their dirigible history (a Zeppelin is a specific make German dirigible) The Los Angeles was actually built by the Zeppelin company as part of WWI reparations and delivered to the US where it was by far the most successful of the American rigid airships.

s-l640.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

This gives you some sizing.   The Akron was  785 feet, putting it between the first Graf Zepplin and the Hiddenburg/Graf II.

For those that don't know their dirigible history (a Zeppelin is a specific make German dirigible) The Los Angeles was actually built by the Zeppelin company as part of WWI reparations and delivered to the US where it was by far the most successful of the American rigid airships.

s-l640.jpg

I found this book years ago. Cover is made from the material of the earliest Zeppelin. All in German but as the other photo shows size matters. Lighter than air is fascinating stuff.859141DC-34F9-4BCC-8DFF-156E2DDF954A.jpeg.7b9595180c0926e5926343b6f96123fb.jpeg5E0B7EFD-E5E4-4749-B678-4840D45064BC.jpeg.7d67446441cbbbf2c34297aa7e54f272.jpeg

• Like 2

I have always thought zeppelins, while originally built by Graf (Count) von Zeppelin, were any steerable lighter-than-air craft with a rigid frame containing inflatable gas bags.   Blimps were any steerable lighter-than-air craft without a rigid frame; the beast was one enormous, reinforced gas bag sturdy enough to carry the cabin and the engines.  People get confused by the term dirigible, because it sounds like rigid.  Dirigible is just the French word for steerable.  Zeppelins and blimps are both dirigibles, because you can steer them and power them toward where you want to go. An UNsteerable, lighter-than-air craft, is a free balloon, a totally different critter that drifts with the wind, although the pilot can vary the altitude and, therefore, climb or descend to where the wind will (maybe) blow him in a different direction.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, edinmass said:

Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 2.55.02 PM.png

Ed: Could this be from a later movie? The Lincoln looks to have sealed beams hiding behind the lenses.

The painted headlights and radiator shell on the ambulance. Also, it looks to be typical stage snow on the windowsills and the frost pattern on the windowpanes.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2022 at 7:46 PM, edinmass said:

Driving around Palm Beach the other day in the JN a guy walked up to me in the parking lot and was asking about the car. Ten minutes later as I was going to leave he commented.......I miss looking at my grandfather’s old cars when I was a kid. Remember.....this guy is third generation old Palm Beach. So I asked what were the cars? The answer was Two Hispano’s , a Phantom I, a Lincoln, and a Cord......all BOUGHT NEW by his grandfather. Anyways.....I got to asking about them, sure enough they have a box with ALL the paperwork on them. Photos, bills of sale, correspondence with coach builders including photos of the cars as chassis with canvas fenders so they could drive them while the bodies were being built! Long story short, he’s coming to visit at the museum next week with all the original files. He’s going to leave them with me to scan. One Hispano was a coupe......that’s all I know.........more when I get my hands on the stuff.

I observed that you are in the right neighborhood to go hunting but it appears to be just as good for fishing. Casually driving around in the JN isn’t something we all can experience. I’d say it’s great bait. Might even be considered chumming the waters. Hey but look what you snagged. Like to see all the photos and corr

George.....it’s NOT the car, it’s my charming good looks and wonderful personality..........and I have proof, ask my mother!😏

Interestingly;  as interesting as what is coming in this week on the cars, I may have gotten into another archive of something that was a turning point in world history.......... the type of thing a Discovery Channel special or an American Experience film are made of. If the second one works out I’ll be sure to share it. It’s fun digging through first had experiences of history........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 11:59 AM, HK500 said:

Lots of Weird going on here - 17" lockring wire wheels, 1930 Packard senior headlamps, and a very unusual B and C  pillar curve on what looks like a pre-1930  LHD Rolls Town car.  Note on the back says taken in 1935 for the California Auto Co.

RollsTownCarCaliforniaAutoCo.jpg

This car survives too (or at least the body survives if it was ever transplanted) 

• Like 2

On 1/27/2022 at 6:00 AM, alsancle said:

Posting these for Jim Fredrick.   A glass engine.  Comes from a magazine and maybe Jim can elaborate.

GlassEngine1.jpg

GlassEngine2.jpg

GlassEngine3.jpg

GlassEngine4.jpg

Thanks Mr. A.J.....

From Look Magazine, May 1938

"A full-Sized Automobile Engine made almost entirely of glass was a feature of the 1938 auto show in Berlin Germany. A manufacturer of nuts and bolts used it to show the hidden uses of his products

Jim

• Like 2