Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

In the Los Angeles salon souvenir programs in the final years the LA Hudson/Essex dealer had some deal going with Murphy Body Co. as they had full page ads in the salon programs in full color of those chassis with Murphy bodies.

The salons were organized and managed by a NY City firm and managed all the salons held - San Francisco, NY, Chicago and the LA one as mentioned.  I am still trying to get a full run of souvenir programs to have one for every year for each salon at each location. Almost there missing about 6 altogether. The salons were not open to the public like an auto show was, were by invitation only and none had stock factory issued coachwork on display, everything was custom bodied. It was not unusual for a car shown in NY City to appear in Chicago - multiple bodies of the exact same style and equipment were not made so that one could be at each salon without a bother. Cars were loaded into box cars and shipped by rail ( chained to the floor of the box car so they wouldn't bounce around in transit) .

Edited by Walt G
added information (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ok everyone Happy Thanksgiving - I'm off to the patio to put the turkey on the smoker!  Not even gonna try to keep up with Ed's photographic output today!  Here's a shot from a promotion in Los Angeles called "Luxury Week".  no luck on Google for that event. .  Not 100% sure on the location - maybe Earle C. Anthony showroom in LA ?  It looks like a dealer plate with the 4B prefix. 

36PackardLuxuryWeek.jpg

• Like 1

This is a great photo that is begging to tell a story.  The man with his outstretched arm is virtually pointing at nearby carpenter's tool box.  My great-uncle had a box like that for hand saws, hammers, wood boring brace and other items.  In the background is a wood framed structure with wire that resembles a baited trap for catching game, such as pheasants or wild pigs.

B9FD664D-53E1-4F9E-893E-0A68B23C5065.png.1423325b3764b1f270442b07ccbe2ccb.png

B9FD664D-53E1-4F9E-893E-0A68B23C5065.png.1423325b3764b1f270442b07ccbe2ccb - Copy.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Walt G said:

The salons were organized and managed by a NY City firm and managed all the salons held - San Francisco, NY, Chicago and the LA one as mentioned.  I am still trying to get a full run of souvenir programs to have one for every year for each salon at each location. Almost there missing about 6 altogether. The salons were not open to the public like an auto show was, were by invitation only and none had stock factory issued coachwork on display, everything was custom bodied. It was not unusual for a car shown in NY City to appear in Chicago - multiple bodies of the exact same style and equipment were not made so that one could be at each salon without a bother. Cars were loaded into box cars and shipped by rail ( chained to the floor of the box car so they wouldn't bounce around in transit) .

Did Studebaker ever participate in these Salons at the time?

Craig

20 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Did Studebaker ever participate in these Salons at the time?

Craig

I can answer this one, yes, 1926 with LeBaron bodies on the Model EP. They were displayed in the Rose Room of the Plaza Hotel.  One is still extant, the Sport Cabriolet (town car).   Walt will have to answer if these were part of the official Custom Salon or not.  I have a copy of the Hugo Pfau article on this foray into the rarified world of custom coachwork by Studebaker.

Steve

Salons were held at the Hotel Commodore in NY after it was completed, before that another location. But to get the exposure car companies would try to have additional displays in either hotels of larger showrooms all trying to be as close to the real/official salon as possible. Floor space at the salons was limited and very expensive. Hard to get cars into , so when the Commodore hotel was built a special rear entrance to get cars into be displayed was built into the structure! They were that important, not just for the car companies for sales but as a social event since it was a by invitation only affair. I have some additional information on the Studebaker display - yes it was 1926 and LeBaron bodies another thing to dig out.

• Like 1

A shot of the camera car at a parade in Montana. The car a 1913 Reo I think.  The plate is Montana 1913, the first year plates were required in the state. The wiki page would have us believe that the issued front plates were perforated for air flow. The first I had read of that anywhere. Whether subsequent issues were also perforated is not noted.

20s autos Joel Christensen Montana Picker 1220.jpg

• Like 2

This one is for me..........I own the custom made lap robe for this car, Herman Brunn kept it and then gave it to his daughter who sold it to me in the 90's. It has the same family crest on the robe as the doors and seats..........the car is in a museum in Iran.

s-l1600-3.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Walt G said:

GREAT PHOTO I love the house, hard to read due to the pixels but it seems that the cars have NY license plates? Can anyone make it out better then I can?

Too bad one cannot see a coal chute in the foundation of that big old house!!

Craig

• Like 1

Re the photo Ed posted: the car on the trailer was Austin Clark's 1905 Pierce Great Arrow, the R-R is a Springfield Ghost but I have no clue as to the year. Probably has later flat bumpers on it updated in the early 1930s after the Phantom II came out to make R-R's of the 1920s look less "dated" ( the Phantom I Springfield (S74PM) I had was updated in 1933 by Brewster with a new body, fenders,lamps and bumpers but kept the German Silver radiator shell.  No idea what the last car is , not enough to tell but pre 1915. Most likely this photo was taken on a tour in New England.

Austin had a favorite story he told about one of those tours when he was parked along side of the road for a break for some adult beverage that he had in a glass filled  to the brim in his hand when the state police pulled up to inquire what he was doing................................... a tale to be told at some point in time, I wasn't along for that experience but was along when some other amusing tales/encounters/experiences took place. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

GREAT PHOTO I love the house, hard to read due to the pixels but it seems that the cars have NY license plates? Can anyone make it out better then I can?

The plates are NOT New York. NY had the state abbreviation on the right side. My eyes detect IL on the left side of this plate, Illinois?

Frank

5 hours ago, oldford said:

The plates are NOT New York. NY had the state abbreviation on the right side. My eyes detect IL on the left side of this plate, Illinois?

Frank

According to this link the NY plates had the state abbreviation above or below depending on the year - Vehicle registration plates of New York - Wikipedia

Not Illinois either I think - Vehicle registration plates of Illinois - Wikipedia

Hopefully this one can be expanded to read the letters. That might be IC on the left?  Maybe reference to a county?

20s autos mark Christoffersen big house (3).jpg

19 hours ago, Walt G said:

Re the photo Ed posted: the car on the trailer was Austin Clark's 1905 Pierce Great Arrow, the R-R is a Springfield Ghost but I have no clue as to the year. Probably has later flat bumpers on it updated in the early 1930s after the Phantom II came out to make R-R's of the 1920s look less "dated" ( the Phantom I Springfield (S74PM) I had was updated in 1933 by Brewster with a new body, fenders,lamps and bumpers but kept the German Silver radiator shell.  No idea what the last car is , not enough to tell but pre 1915. Most likely this photo was taken on a tour in New England.

Austin had a favorite story he told about one of those tours when he was parked along side of the road for a break for some adult beverage that he had in a glass filled  to the brim in his hand when the state police pulled up to inquire what he was doing................................... a tale to be told at some point in time, I wasn't along for that experience but was along when some other amusing tales/encounters/experiences took place. 

The other car is a 07 Mercedes.

• Thanks 1

Just now, 58L-Y8 said:

That's what I thought too, but couldn't find my Packard dash reference immediately.  It's no doubt a promotional photo so identified as something foreign and exotic.

Look at the wiper motor….and the steering wheel controls……Im thinking Leland Lincoln.

• Like 2

Just now, edinmass said:

Look at the wiper motor….and the steering wheel controls……Im thinking Leland Lincoln.

Ed:

Do you have a Lincoln reference photo handy?   We need a dash board/instrument panel thread to post photos properly identified to which we can all readily refer when images such as this appear.

Steve

• Like 1

No photo handy…….could be Packard……..the wiper was used by both Lincoln, Packard, Cunningham, and a handful of others, most common on a Lincoln. Pierce used the exact same choke and spark knob on the dash in 29-30. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2