Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

21 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Here's a closer look at that town car delivery.  Opinions what make it was?

Wish I knew... It has bugged me since the second I seen it. I tried blowing it up but the details get lost...

Old__Settlers_Parade_1928 (2).jpg

Dr. Ivan P. Balabanoff stands next to the ambulance he donated to the Tacoma Dept. of Health & Sanitation in early 1919. The vehicle is parked outside the Elks Temple, 565 Broadway. Dr. Balabanoff made the presentation to the City in honor of his late wife, Dr. Margaret L. Carsley Balabanoff. A plaque is displayed on the vehicle next to the door with his wife's name and the year 1918. The presentation of the ambulance was made under the condition that the City must keep the vehicle in first-class condition and if the City ceased to use it, a donation of $1000 must be made to the Children's Home or other Tacoma charitable institution. Originally from Bulgaria, Dr. Ivan P. Balabanoff practiced in the Tacoma area for over 30 years. Mrs. Balabanoff was also a well-known and long-practicing physician. The completely equipped Ford ambulance was attached to the City Contagious Hospital. The ambulance body was designed by a local firm - the Acme Body Works

Marvin_D_Boland_Collection_BOLANDB1524.jpg

• Like 3

Tacoma Elks motion picture crew beside an automobile at Stadium Bowl. The Elks had signed the Peptimist Motion Picture Corporation of Hollywood to create a motion picture comedy drama woven around the industrial life and scenic attractions of Tacoma. The completed picture would be shown a gala frolic June 27, 1931 at the Elks Convention. A casting call went out for 500 men, women and children to be in the picture with the two main female starring roles receiving a salary. Cameraman L. A. Tatom, dressed in bright white knickers and sweater with plaid socks, operates a motion picture camera capturing the scene of motorcycle patrolmen and two women in suits and pumps posed on a 1931 model Buick eight automobile labeled the "official motion picture car" and supplied courtesy of Mueller-Harkins Buick. Posed on the vehicle are director L. Jack Sherry, officers Bill Cordell, Bob Marshall, George Johnson and Edwin Janassen, and actresses Helen White and Bebe Lee. Miss White was an established Hollywood star while Miss Lee was a Tacoma native starting out in the talkies.

Richards_Studio_6643.jpg

The Model JN above, is JN-565. I spent the first month of the pandemic servicing the car. It now has just turned 27,000 on the clock. 

• Thanks 1

That has to be the best Hood Ornament I have ever seen on a car , pre or post war because as seen here,  it is even smart enough to cool itself off when becoming overheated on a warm day ( or any day for that matter!)

To quote a very famous American film star of the same era - Miss Betty Boop -" Boop boop a doop! "

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Walt G said:

That has to be the best Hood Ornament I have ever seen on a car , pre or post war because as seen here,  it is even smart enough to cool itself off when becoming overheated on a warm day ( or any day for that matter!)

Will she snap off in an automatic car wash?

Craig

16 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

doble_e_series_steam_generator_cut_away_front.png

The steam car guys will probably explain better than me,  but the Doble "Steam Generator" is completely different than a Stanley "Boiler".    The tubes in the picture above contain the water where a Stanley boiler would have vertical "fire" tubes going through a big water tank.  The Doble heats downward while the Stanley is heating upwards.   The Doble is heating small amounts of water while the Stanley is heating lots and lots.   There are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches.    Because the Doble does not have a lot of stored energy,  the control system is very sophisticated and complicated to maintain adequate steam.   The Stanley has much more stored energy because of all that water.    The flip side is the Doble can get to enough Steam to move in minutes,  while the Stanley can take forever.

• Thanks 1

The Stanley is a "flat head" and the Double is a "double overhead camshaft" in basic terms. The Stanley is basicly a bare bones machine that didn't change for the entire production run. White was much more sophiscated , and a much better machine. The Doble is in a league of its own just like a Model J. A Stanley can't make steam faster than it can use it.....thus the term...."running out of steam". The White when warm will make as much steam as you need, by itself, without monitering the systems. A Stanley needs constant attention....and if you make a mistake you can scorch the boiler. The Doble "flash" steam generator goes from cold to movement in two minutes.....and "full power" in less than five. Since it's easier to buy a space shuttle compared to buying a Doble, a big White is what 99 percent of the steam guys dream of. Interestingly, they built a LOT of Whites........but very few survive. I have driven two dozen steam cars..........most of them Stanleys, and two Whites......they are all interesting and fun to play with............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Walt G said:

To quote a very famous American film star of the same era - Miss Betty Boop -" Boop boop a doop! "

I have a bunch of French post cards from the same photographer............except every photo next to a Bugatti had models who were rather poor.....they couldn't afford clothes..........and thus are not appropiate to publish here.

• Haha 1