Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

We have reached 295 pages of period photographs of all kinds of vehicles from the early 1900's until the WWII era, and everyone has tried to stick to the "pre war" era as I had hoped they would. Thanks to all, from all over the world for making such an effort to " relieve some of the stress"  with your contributions, be they the photographs, comments, information etc. Just to observe the settings that vehicles are set in : the signs, architecture, mode of dress etc. . It makes me so pleased to see all of this unfold, I know it is making more then a few 'just plain happy' to share the heritage of the great vehicles we see pictured here. Our common bond of old used cars and the history they represent - the wonderful flow of a design, from artists in wood and sheet metal that functioned as transportation.  Thanks to all of you my friends.

Walt

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Side of rear of British owned Mercedes SSK car in front of storage shed

UNITED KINGDOM - JUNE 24: Photograph taken during Automobile Exhibition (Photo by National Media Museum/Zoltan Glass/SSPL/Getty Images)

Side of rear of British owned Mercedes SSK car in front of storage shed : News Photo

I would say Mercedes S with body by Barker.

image.jpeg.c363e4e03f1e7e4cb2956ee53712bfd5.jpeg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Prince Lobkowicz with a Bugatti, Germany, 1932.

GERMANY - JULY 31: A Bugatti saloon car, with Prince Lobkowicz standing behind. Lobkowicz was killed in a Bugatti Type 54 at the AVUS race track in Berlin the same year. (Photo by SSPL/Getty Images)

Prince Lobkowicz with a Bugatti, Germany, 1932. : News Photo

Notice the sliding doors! Type 46 with  chassis nr. 46409, delivered 28.4.1932 only three months before Lobkowicz' fatal crash. Coachwork by Uhlik of Prague

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Casper Friederich said:

1928 Röhr, the the smallest German Eight. Bellow a period photo from 1933 of a Röhr with spectacular coachwork, that i know still exists.

Röhr (2).png

Type F (2).png

Edgar Rohr, Past President of AACA for 2 years in  the '60's had a Rohr on the order of the second one pictured.  Am I wrong in recalling that it was fwd?

I have a file of clippings from early automobile magazines that had been collected by Peter Helck. The photo shown here is from 1906 and taken in a garage in New York City. I know that there are parking garages in New York City and have been since the Pre WWII era but was amazed to see the amount of cars in a Parking Garage in 1906. The cars belonged to residents of the city and had to be stored someplace because people lived in apartments, even those that at that year could afford a motor car which was still unusual to see where horses were the main provider of power for transportation ( there are still stables for horses on the west side of NY City). Can you even imagine walking into a garage loaded hubcap to hubcap with brass era automobiles? On the back of this clipping Peter H. wrote in ink ' Note - At least 1/2 of the cars shown are Foreign, French & German'.   Is that a "cross engine " Franklin at center fitted with a windshield and top?

STORAGEgarage1906-NY001.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave Henderson said:

Edgar Rohr, Past President of AACA for 2 years in  the '60's had a Rohr on the order of the second one pictured.  Am I wrong in recalling that it was fwd?

It isn't front Wheel drive, but it lacks a beam axle up front as you can see on the older model above the Autenrieth bodied streamliner

On 7/6/2020 at 9:28 PM, Walt G said:

At least 1/2 of the cars shown are Foreign, French & German'.   Is that a "cross engine " Franklin at center fitted with a windshield and top?

STORAGEgarage1906-NY001.jpg

Yes, it's most probably a cross-engined Franklin. But there were Copycats, built with inferior materials and heavier, for example Marion and Premier.

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

On 6/22/2020 at 4:27 PM, nzcarnerd said:

It was posted on a facebook page with the caption - 1933 Studebaker President Speedway State coupe.

Total production of the Speedway Presidents was 657, of which about ten are know to survive. I did have a list of those survivors on file, and there is apparently one surviving coupe.  I guess not a lot of coupes were built.

Just getting caught up as I have been away but here is a pic of the President Speedway Coupe. This is a Canadian car. There were 2 33 President Speedways' within an hr of each other for many years.

33 Coupe Side Shot.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

Lancia-Lambda-Cabriolet,

(Eingeschränkte Rechte für bestimmte redaktionelle Kunden in Deutschland. Limited rights for specific editorial clients in Germany.) Lancia-Lambda-Cabriolet, 8 Zylinder, das beim Auto-Wettbewerb in Wien einen ersten Preis erhieltBesitzer: Richard Weininger, BerlinErschienen in Dame 23/1930Aufnahme: Lothar Ruebelt (Photo by Lothar Ruebelt/ullstein bild via Getty Images)

Lancia-Lambda-Cabriolet, : News Photo

This one is captioned 'Lambda 8 cylinder' but I think being an 8 it is actually a Dilambda.

• Like 1

On April 22nd-23rd 1927, the Daimler-Knight limousine, once owned by England's King George V was on display at Manley Motor Co., 956-58 Fawcett Ave. The vehicle had been built especially for King George V in England in 1910. He used it until 1924. After its 14 years of service, it was being driven across the US in a cross country tour. It could reach speeds of up to 52mph, got 6 1/2 miles per gallon of gas and carried 35 gallons. Alongside the Daimler is a Willys Knight 70 sedan. 

Richards_Studio_A2227.jpg

• Like 2

I couldn't really tell if the Model T was a '14 or a '15.  A '14 has a straight rear fender but a '15 has a curved rear fender.  The photo cuts off and I could never feel sure if it was straight or curved.  Is there something else about the car that is unique to '14 versus '15?

One thing that has been a question for many years is that my mother said that her dad had a car with two windshields.  She had no knowledge of what the car was, only that it had two windshields.  Based on that observation it suggests that the car with two windshields was a dual cowl model.  I have never found a photo of such a car in all of the family photos.  That one of those famous "big fish" stories where the fish got away.

John Rose Betty Aloys.jpg

6 minutes ago, LCK81403 said:

I couldn't really tell if the Model T was a '14 or a '15.  A '14 has a straight rear fender but a '15 has a curved rear fender.  The photo cuts off and I could never feel sure if it was straight or curved.  Is there something else about the car that is unique to '14 versus '15?

One thing that has been a question for many years is that my mother said that her dad had a car with two windshields.  She had no knowledge of what the car was, only that it had two windshields.  Based on that observation it suggests that the car with two windshields was a dual cowl model.  I have never found a photo of such a car in all of the family photos.  That one of those famous "big fish" stories where the fish got away.

John Rose Betty Aloys.jpg

Perhaps as a child, your mother saw the "folded in half" windshield as 2 windshields.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Walt G said:

We have reached 295 pages of period photographs of all kinds of vehicles from the early 1900's until the WWII era, and everyone has tried to stick to the "pre war" era as I had hoped they would. Thanks to all, from all over the world for making such an effort to " relieve some of the stress"  with your contributions, be they the photographs, comments, information etc. Just to observe the settings that vehicles are set in : the signs, architecture, mode of dress etc. . It makes me so pleased to see all of this unfold, I know it is making more then a few 'just plain happy' to share the heritage of the great vehicles we see pictured here. Our common bond of old used cars and the history they represent - the wonderful flow of a design, from artists in wood and sheet metal that functioned as transportation.  Thanks to all of you my friends.

Walt

You started something Walt ,  that I depend on , it’s my daily catch up , when I sit in bed at night , I peruse and study the latest additions and skip back into a time of class. , elegance , beautiful amazing automobiles, great photography  catching  interesting glimpses of a time perhaps many of us would love to have experienced after following this thread.

once again thanks to you and all the posters, particularly to John for his  huge contribution,  it’s a great unique collection of images.

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1