Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

7 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I thought I spied speedster fenders.

Speedster fenders all the way around.  It also has a metal roof on the Coupe body and technically a Coupe is pretty near a convertible with a bolt-on/screw-on wooden roof structure that is fabric covered.  Also, the car lacks a metal spare tire cover (which was standard equipment normally). Plus, note it is a Business Coupe and not a Rumbleseat Coupe.

19718652.jpg.d59d55df1f7d15eed8a5aa742acb03d3.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

Speedster fenders all the way around.  It also has a metal roof on the Coupe body and technically a Coupe is pretty near a convertible with a bolt-on/screw-on wooden roof structure that is fabric covered.  Also, the car lacks a metal spare tire cover (which was standard equipment normally). Plus, note it is a Business Coupe and not a Rumbleseat Coupe.

19718652.jpg.d59d55df1f7d15eed8a5aa742acb03d3.jpg

any survive?

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

any survive?

The 1935 851 S/C Phaeton (4 door convertible) survived long enough post WWII that it should still be around - it had the wheelbase extended and the hood elongated to have an Auburn V-12 installed. It was pretty run down/rough by 1950's and there is a chance that the fenders had more value than the entire car - so it could have bit the dust as a parts car. 

There are no other known photo's of the Coupe.

My guess is that if "they" played with a Phaeton and a Coupe, then they probably played with a Cabriolet as well (maybe not, but ....).

Basically: This should still be out there in a very modified form (longer wheelbase with longer hood to allow for an Auburn V-12 installation.

19718650.jpg.27906b8944356f95120d2bf79d99e722.jpg

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

The 1906 Swift (U.K.) had a three cylinder engine.  Perhaps the doctor could receive vibration massage while he drove to see a patient, or to the office.

06 Swift U.K. Clymer Scrapbook Vol.1 p71.JPG

1 hour ago, LCK81403 said:

1935 Armstrong Siddeley.  Buy a car made in the United Kingdom.

35 Armstrong Siddeley U.K. Clymer Scrapbook Vol.1 p172.JPG

My father had a 30s Armstrong siddeley in the late 50 s not large as above I remember, but I did travel in a few as were popular wedding and funeral cars in 50s and 60s 

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

The 1903 Stirling Dogcart.  Reportedly it could do 35 miles per gallon of petrol.  Amazingly enough, 117 years later, we still have a lot of cars on the road that can not do 35 mpg.

03 Stirling Dogcart U.K. Clymer Scrapbook Vol.1 p42.JPG

2 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Cars at Lindbergh parade

Lindberg parade.jpg

An assembly for a Lindberg parade !  

This is a favorite photo - I love all the differences in the cars and especially such as paint colors (not everything was somber tones) and the number of rear mounted spares  - which I assume was a movement toward a "modern" car (though equally even a Packard Touring with storage boxes cabinetry and possibly some under seat storage still does not have the wanted space of a luggage trunk out on a luggage rack (and there was a practicality of having and extra spare tire - roads were still pretty bad).

The "highest cost" cars are probably the 2nd one from the front in the farthest left row and in the second row over the 5th one back. 

And interestingly - all are Packards !!!

• Like 1

In the photo of all the Packard touring cars - notice how many have tonneau windshield bolted to the back of the front seats! this was a factory accessory, which was first imported from England. Those tonneau windshields are very effective ( I know from experience) and add quite a bit of weight to the car since they are all made out of brass, and the glass is heavy, add in the brackets to mount it all and you are adding a lot of pounds to the overall weight of the car.  As late as the early 1950s plastic versions of the tonneau windshields were still available as an accessory to bolt to the back of the folding front seat backs on convertibles of that era.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Walt G said:

In the photo of all the Packard touring cars - notice how many have tonneau windshield bolted to the back of the front seats! this was a factory accessory, which was first imported from England. Those tonneau windshields are very effective ( I know from experience) and add quite a bit of weight to the car since they are all made out of brass, and the glass is heavy, add in the brackets to mount it all and you are adding a lot of pounds to the overall weight of the car.  As late as the early 1950s plastic versions of the tonneau windshields were still available as an accessory to bolt to the back of the folding front seat backs on convertibles of that era.

Most people do not drive their late 20's and early 30's cars at speed and with the top down, but a pretty rough ride via wind whipping you around for rear seat occupants (up to about 40 mph it is not too bad, but beyond that ...) - the Tonneau Windshield is a big help in achieving a happy guest. 

• Like 1

John , you are being kind when you state " a pretty rough ride via wind whipping you around for the rear seat occupants"  .  I am sure the dual cowl phaeton was developed ( by designer J. Frank deCausse for Locomobile) just to prevent the "beating up" you got from wind. I have been in enough open cars over the decades to experience first hand at speeds over 40 mph the effect of wind- not so pleasant after the first minute or two. Plus add to that assorted insects banging into your face at the same speed. It is also the reason 'wind wings' were invented to add to the side edge of the windshield as well as the tonneau windshield. Female passengers quickly seek a mirror and a comb to rearrange their hair back to what they deem acceptable and attractive after a ride without some protection of the wind ( and usually a glare that conveys "really!!!" to the driver of the car. ) 😬 and usually avoid having a photo taken of them "after" the ride  before they can rearrange to get back to a acceptable appearance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very Stylish 1931 Cadillac Series 452 V-16 Sport Phaeton - with unusually a rear spare tire (optional whitewall tires, stainless spoke wire wheels, and chrome hood doors,  but they probably would have been happier had they bought the optional wind wings and also a Goddess or Heron mascot)

106359848_10158863445092189_6710861154705096710_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=UvKCyx3nbUQAX8SZ4aQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fluk1-1.fna&oh=ca101994205d9d0ae25865b6151a0e64&oe=5F2942A8

• Like 2