Identify car from Alaska Gold Rush

Mark Gregory

3 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Some of the earliest car owners didn't even

purchase the optional headlights.  Such owners

didn't plan to drive at night.

That is correct, but it is odd there are brackets in place for them.

Craig

The brackets were often riveted to the frame and a part of the car even if lights were not ordered. The same can be said for brackets to mount a top being installed on the body when a top is not included. This flyer has those as well. 

Headlamps on these brass age cars were easily removable.  When not needed, you could store them someplace safe to keep them clean and undamaged. Permanently mounted headlamps did not appear until electric lighting was used.  As was pointed out also, you could put any headlamp you wanted to on these early cars.  I believe the high end vehicles like the Thomas would have come already equipped with them, but often an owner would keep their lamps and use them on the next car they purchased.  You could buy headlamps from catalogs, auto parts stores, even hardware stores and put your favorite kind on your car. 

Terry

One year after the introduction of the priest-o-lite tank and all the way up in Alaska, headlights requiring an acetylene generator might not have worked. The water in the top tank would freeze. 

This 1924 Essex was shipped to Alaska by a couple of entrepreneurs to meet a perceived demand for cars. It ended up deteriorating in the back room of a hardware store because there were too few roads to find for its use. The car was restored in 1969  and in 2017 had racked up 7,000 miles.

008001.jpg.b56f4e2d497b5481df5bbd8ae1c50387.jpg

I imagined two guys planning to make a fortune selling cars in Alaska kind of like Jackie Gleason and Art Carney might do on the Honeymooners. My son makes movies and I almost bought the car to retell the original story updated be be two guys finding the low mileage car and making their fortune pedaling it at a big car auction. I should have taped the father trying to talk the son into the movie scheme.

Bernie

009001.jpg

010001.jpg

• Like 2

Nome Alaska had a gold rush that lasted till 07 or 08 ........but only for the big dig style mines, all the shallow easy stuff was gone by 04.

In the Yukon, Guggenheim had mining interests continuing past 1910.  The Zust automobile from the Great Race was discovered in Dawson City in the 50s. It had been sent up there for the mining superintendent to use around 1910.

The museum in Fairbanks has a good collection of early cars, hoping to get up there to see them sometime.

Edited by Modeleh (see edit history)