What are you working on right now?

Well, this is what I worked on Saturday.  After selling my house I kept my shop for a month and am trying to move out by the end of the month.  Had the family helping to move 3 of the 4 cars into storage.  While they did most of the work I was very tired after a full day of pushing, pulling and lifting.  Got a 36 Fordor Deluxe to go.  Fortunately, all the kids love/want the cars so I usually can get help when needed.

If the land that we want to buy will perk we should have a new shop built by the end of summer which will be a real blessing.  My wife says I have to get them all restored and running for the kids so I have my work cut out.

image_50403585.JPG

image_50741249.JPG

image_50773249.JPG

• Like 13

Mrs. Mack found a perfect size curio cabinet that is no too ornate to house automobilia on a town "buy nothing" site so we picked it up yesterday despite the rain.  Rained most of the day so a good day to spend in the garage.  Cleaned it up and fixed the glass shelving supports.  Awaiting my son's arrival Sunday to help me move it in and remove the hardtop from the SL Sunday. 😊

13605.jpeg

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Mrs. Mack found a perfect size curio cabinet that is no too ornate to house automobilia on a town "buy nothing" site so we picked it up yesterday despite the rain.  Rained most of the day so a good day to spend in the garage.  Cleaned it up and fixed the glass shelving supports.  Awaiting my son's arrival Sunday to help me move it in and remove the hardtop from the SL Sunday. 😊

13605.jpeg

I love a good repurposed display case.  And of course, there is your good excuse to fill it up.

• Haha 2

XW2500 Dixie Chopper repairs, 4 wheeler maintenance and repair along with all types of outdoor power equipment tune ups. Of course there was tractor activity! Box blading a drainage swale for Dad off his new garage. The view from the garage overlooks Cumberland Gap Mt. 30 miles away. Beautiful part of the world 

@edinmass I did respectable tractor mechanic things!!! 😂👍🏻

IMG_0920.jpeg

IMG_0921.jpeg

IMG_0941.jpeg

IMG_0932.jpeg

IMG_0928.jpeg

IMG_0923.jpeg

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)
  • Like 12

On 6/12/2024 at 12:11 PM, BobinVirginia said:

XW2500 Dixie Chopper repairs, 4 wheeler maintenance and repair along with all types of outdoor power equipment tune ups. Of course there was tractor activity! Box blading a drainage swale for Dad off his new garage. The view from the garage overlooks Cumberland Gap Mt. 30 miles away. Beautiful part of the world 

@edinmass I did respectable tractor mechanic things!!! 😂👍🏻

IMG_0920.jpeg

IMG_0921.jpeg

IMG_0941.jpeg

IMG_0932.jpeg

IMG_0928.jpeg

IMG_0923.jpeg

Have you ever stopped to count each and every piston that you nurse ‘till end if life. Every piston in every engine you maintain? Lawn mower, weed whacker, pressure washer, leaf blower, 2 portable generators, ATV’s, dirt bikes, motorcycles, boat, a couple vintage cars, my wife’s and my daily driver. Then there’s the diesel truck. I think I’m currently at 37 pistons in internal combustion engines. I’m sure I missed a few.  Ridiculous but I’m addicted, I will admit. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Have you ever stopped to count each and every piston that you nurse ‘till end if life. Every piston in every engine you maintain? Lawn mower, weed whacker, pressure washer, leaf blower, 2 portable generators, ATV’s, dirt bikes, motorcycles, boat, a couple vintage cars, my wife’s and my daily driver. Then there’s the diesel truck. I think I’m currently at 37 pistons in internal combustion engines. I’m sure I missed a few.  Ridiculous but I’m addicted, I will admit. 

Hey Keith, the number of cylinders you own should always exceed your age. In Minnesota this is known as your “cylinder index”. This phrase was coined by Joe Soucheray of the St. Paul Pioneer Press a number of years ago. Joe is also the “mayor” of “Garage Logic”, a mythical town he created while having a radio show. Google it for good laughs. At any rate my cylinder index is 35, pathetically low since there are six cars in our household……

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Right now I'm cleaning out some space in my barn for another Packard project which should be here in a couple of days.... finishing up the punch list on the '28 Pontiac and then I may list it for sale to generate some cash for the new Packard... this one is a dream car of mine that I never thought I'd be able to obtain!

• Like 2

Remley (1925 Master) is learning from Beulah (1925 Standard)
 As I have stated frequently what ever I have done to repair or enhance the appearance of the car there is an immediate downgrade in performance.
 2 weeks ago, I did the long overdue ball stud replacement on Beulah. 
image.png.437f3a2f32b4ac48df72abce2bb3ab0a.png
Now, poor running and fighting electrical/ lighting issues.
image.png.2e6feb97a0301bf2d71678d0b6c07e8f.png
 I had the black painted WEED front bumper on Remley powder coated in a chrome like silver. Front bars were originally nickel plated. From a distance it does give a nickel impression. My daughter Bethany was home to visit for Father's Day. Great father daughter project!  She helped me reinstall the bumper. When I brought the car over from the storage garage, he started up immediately after sitting for 3 weeks. I drove him around the block and seemed to settle out and was running a bit smoother. I backed him into the garage, and we set out to installing the bumper.
image.png.d842f71fec1478bb251b69f108190bcd.png After we were done, we were prepared to go and drive him to a local Cruise-In. Joan, Bethany, grandson Crosby and I go to get in Remley...... He would not start! Just cranked and was flooding! How embarrassing! Later that evening I tried to start again. He started quickly and ran well. I feel these cars are mocking me.....

• Like 6

7 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

I feel these cars are mocking me....

No, I think each is jealous of the time you spend with the other.  They are constantly looking for your attention.  The trick is to convince them that if they behave themselves you'll spend more quality time with them on the road!  ;)

• Like 2

And... we now have a complete oil pump drive for the big Wisconsin PT.

Way back in 2009, this is what I had to start with. The gear, shaft, and a broken smashed housing. This pattern and core box were the first of many that would follow. I was pretty pleased with my first attempt at foundry patterns. However, it wasn't quite right so I eventually developed another set.

Pump.jpg.c99a5a547ff277dcd0dcf0a7cf530983.jpg

The new set I 3D printed. These worked fantastic!

IMG_4133.JPG.10c0cd958b1d1b50de81e7de261ddbbd.JPG

Here is the complete assembly. The housing is 660 bronze The shaft is the original. I have a new shaft 90% complete. I need to add the spiral oil groove, keyway, and part to length.

I had already re-built the oil pump itself so that is ready to go.

IMG_1010.jpg.ca291fb10cd96834f94860bf0998e4da.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg.3d2a0912ad64565442d9e1140f71657f.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Terry Harper said:

And... we now have a complete oil pump drive for the big Wisconsin PT.

Way back in 2009, this is what I had to start with. The gear, shaft, and a broken smashed housing. This pattern and core box were the first of many that would follow. I was pretty pleased with my first attempt at foundry patterns. However, it wasn't quite right so I eventually developed another set.

Pump.jpg.c99a5a547ff277dcd0dcf0a7cf530983.jpg

The new set I 3D printed. These worked fantastic!

IMG_4133.JPG.10c0cd958b1d1b50de81e7de261ddbbd.JPG

Here is the complete assembly. The housing is 660 bronze The shaft is the original. I have a new shaft 90% complete. I need to add the spiral oil groove, keyway, and part to length.

I had already re-built the oil pump itself so that is ready to go.

IMG_1010.jpg.ca291fb10cd96834f94860bf0998e4da.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg.3d2a0912ad64565442d9e1140f71657f.jpg

Nice Work 

• Like 1

Oof, I'm now sore all over from the contortions - 4hrs to get the clutch out, 8hrs to reassemble, the wizard hardware and brass piping can be especially putzy.

Good news is that everything is back together, and no busted knuckles.

I think I finally determined the two smoking-gun issues, now permanently resolved and ready to finish out driving season.

After everything was reinstalled, I performed a brief driveway test in both conventional clutch mode and wizard vacuum clutch mode and so far both were good, smooth and steady.

I plan to go for a good run tomorrow if the weather is decent to climb through the gears and test the clutch on a hill.

Not sure, but it appears Buick stamped a "B" on the pressure plate housing, kinda interesting.

image.png.9810eb7a376d5c22d1cea6a5dfa27dde.png

• Like 2

Working on proper setup for the Detroit Lubricator Stewart on my 1920 Dodge. Stewart warns you not to adjust this but somebody did and it needs to be adjusted back, lol. Set the dashpot/vaporizer assembly touching the mouth of the carb body, adjust the arm at the bottom so it just touches the dashpot/vaporizer without lifting it, and set the thumb screw to just touch the arm stop...

IMG_20240622_123051284_HDR.jpg.2fcb8e51ef5ab07eed768448c1a62126.jpg

IMG_20240622_123101938.jpg.aae38486f8b74bcb70e3709013f0ab58.jpg

• Like 8

I was working on changing out my torque converter on my dd 2007 hd silverado. Used my neighbors lift and tools. Took a while, but no issues and it works well. I was chasing a bad hop in the rear at 52 mph and after new tires, rear shocks, and a center driveshaft bearing the torque converter fixed it. 

IMG_8029.JPG.3312f11d83e4496fa4be50a739770484.JPGIMG_8030.png.879a42fa6538ce9aff99cc5a9312e708.png

• Like 5