Just arrived at the Annual Meeting.

edinmass

Just got in from  Palm Beach to attend tonight’s banquet. Looks like a big crowd for the event. Haven’t seen an DF people yet........anyone here besides West, Steve, and Chris?

Already back home..... No need to go to banquet tonight.

I did see Matt many many times at the meeting.

The food last year at the Saturday night banquet was GREAT! I hope yours is too.

And, the food at Friday night banquet this year was GREAT too!  👍   Sponsored by J.C. Taylor for the region presidents.

Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello Joe,

Marion & I didn't know that you and Lynne were receiving an award and were pleasantly surprised when it was announced at the Awards Banquet this evening.  Congratulations on receiving the Augustus Post Memorial Plaque for planning and hosting last year's Vintage Tour!  It was a great tour.  Sorry you couldn't be here to receive your award in person and that we didn't get a chance to see you.

Congrats again on the well-deserved award!

Ed, you got my back-side in the photo you posted.  Probably my best side anyway, but obviously we sat close, and as soon as the awards started I had to go to work helping to pass them out.  Wish I'd have realized how close you were sitting so we could visit during awards or after in the J.C. Taylor hospitality suite.

Terry

No Joe, there were zero problems handing out the awards and the process was not changed.  Not sure where you got that information.  All awards that were to be mailed out stayed here in Hershey and will be mailed out by staff this week after they get enough coffee to wake up.  Awards ceremony was flawless  with Terry and Ray Fischer doing the same duties as the past several years.  

I think I saw that Ed character a few times!

• Haha 1

I sat next to the awards table all night........two feet away from it. There were no problems I was aware of. Just lots of happy award winners.............

I know we were very happy! 👍

B6EB83A6-0A10-4ADC-BD36-76DE33F39A18.jpeg

• Like 1

I really think that Ray and I have the best jobs at the banquet - handing out the awards to everyone after they shake hands with the Prez and get their photo snapped.  Everyone is so happy, thrilled, and honored, it's just a fantastic moment to shake hands and pass those beautiful awards along.  Am always amazed at the stories that go along, and West Peterson's commentary keeps everyone engaged.  There are just so many great family stories and tales of cars rescued from barns and fields, I'm sure he has enough material for future articles in our magazine as a result.

Terry

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Ed, you got my back-side in the photo you posted.  Probably my best side anyway, but obviously we sat close, and as soon as the awards started I had to go to work helping to pass them out.  Wish I'd have realized how close you were sitting so we could visit during awards or after in the J.C. Taylor hospitality suite.

Terry

Terry, next year I hope to be at the entire event, this year I got in on Saturday afternoon late..........next year! 👍

Hello, Paul.

Please see attached that shows the photo and story behind each "main" National trophy of which is on display at our Hershey HQ.   

At the Annual Convention the recipient receives a crystal trophy that is engraved with the subject "main" trophy.  For example like winning the Indy 500.  The winning car is given a smaller trophy whereas the main trophy has all the past winners engraved on it.

http://www.aaca.org/Publications/national-awards-2.html

Regards,

Peter J.

14 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

For those of us who were not there.   What was the Foo og Trophy for?   With a name like that, there must be a good story.

From the AACA Website:

foo dog trophy

The Foo-Dog Trophy

Outstanding Rolls-Royce automobile entered in a National Meet judged on the basis of age, style and quality of coachwork, authenticity, appearance and mechanical condition.  Established in 1945 by former AACA President, D. Cameron Peck.  The trophy itself is an ancient and valuable Chinese work of art.

Guest Mark McAlpine
On 2/9/2020 at 11:17 PM, Joe in Canada said:

I understand there was a problem giving out the awards being short or they changed the process? 

Hello Joe,

As Terry point out, he probably has the best job at the Awards Banquet--handing out the actual awards.  (I'd argue he and Ray have the second best job--the President is the first one who gets to present the award to the recipients, congratulate them & shake their hands, and get a photo with them.)  I think you misinterpreted Terry's comment about getting up to help hand out awards as there having been a problem, when he just meant he was getting up after dinner, as planned (and as usual every recent year), to help hand out the actual awards (versus the one's Mel used for the photos) to the recipients after they had their photo taken with Mel Carson.  No problems, no change in procedures, just a lot of happy recipients.  It's too bad you & Lynne couldn't be there to receive yours in person.

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Added last line. (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

We got the AACA National award for the Vintage tour in the mail today as we were not able to get to Philly this year to receive it in person. We were really surprised  by the number of times we were stopped on the field at Hershey to thank us for hosting and the great time they had in Canada. Except for the rain things went well and we want to thank all the AACA members that stepped in to help during the tour. Being on a few National events in the US we  spent many an hr. talking to Marty and Dale about events and cars. It was time to step up and host  a National event here in Canada with no actual region backing us here.  

Again  thanks to everyone for helping out to make this tour such a success.. 

Thanks Joe & Lynne

2020-03-01 award 006.JPG

• Like 1