Getting my Nailhead rebuilt in my 64 Wildcat

BamaWildcat

2023 Edit: Please make sure if you are going to do business with David Gaines out of Florida you read this entire thread. 

My 2019 project of the year was getting my Nailhead removed and rebuild by the very own DualQuadDave. My block ended up being cracked and it had to be swapped, but it has been a great adventure getting my Wildcat back on the road!

Don't know why the thumbnail isn't showing up, but here is the first drive:

engine_before_1.jpg

engine_after_1.jpg

engine_before_2.jpg

engine_after_2.jpg

Edited by BamaWildcat
Adding warning to first post; no other information changed. (see edit history)
  • Like 8

• 2 years later...
6 hours ago, Smartin said:

Was there anything visually concerning with the piston you pulled?  Broken ring?  etc...

Surprisingly, on the problem cylinder, none of the rings were broken. The mechanic did notice a wear pattern he didn't like within the cylinder wall and on the piston, almost looked like a darker steak. It's highlighted by the darker streak up and down. I wish I had a root cause right in front of me, but as soon as the mechanic saw we saw, he recommended we pause I and I call my engine builder. It was only after it became completely apparent I was now in this alone have I engaged a machine shop the next metropolitan area over, and I will have a full report after disassembly. 

IMG_7288.JPG

Edited by BamaWildcat
Couldn't spell today. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is the update.
The machine shop tells me about a certain oil gallery plug. This plug is apparently close to the gear on the camshaft. Whether this was a replacement screw in plug, or converted to a screw in plug, whichever one, Dave or Revenge Machine put in a plug that was too long. The cam gear ate the softer metal of the screw in plug that was too long, depositing all those metal shavings in the oil until it dug the plug threads out of the way. The machine shops also believes the engine was not assembled in a clean environment. They aren't saying it was assembled out in a dirt field, but they found debris within the engine that indicate due care for cleanliness was not a priority.

The damage included needing to replace every bearing in the engine. The crankshaft had to be ground and different sized bearings installed. All cylinders were honed and all rings were replaced with cast ones to solve the problem with sealing.
The reassembled short block came home.

$1,841.92 to fix the problem for an engine that was guaranteed "against anything but leaks". (The engine did leak, of course).

Have I mentioned I have never heard from Dave?

Dave, if you are reading this, the address you may send the check to is still the same.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What a mess and expense for you, I don't like hearing stories like this in our hobby, BUT they do need to be told, lesson for everyone to view, and beware.

Thanks for updating and video's to all of us forum members.

Bob

• 1 month later...

Joe, I caught up with your progress both here and 1964buick.com. Thank-You!

You sharing your progress relates to the Nailhead of my 1963 Riviera of 42 years, a work in progress. Many ups and downs dealing with issues very similar to what you have encountered.

Any update on your project?

• 8 months later...
On 8/25/2022 at 12:39 PM, BamaWildcat said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is the update.
The machine shop tells me about a certain oil gallery plug. This plug is apparently close to the gear on the camshaft. Whether this was a replacement screw in plug, or converted to a screw in plug, whichever one, Dave or Revenge Machine put in a plug that was too long. The cam gear ate the softer metal of the screw in plug that was too long, depositing all those metal shavings in the oil until it dug the plug threads out of the way. The machine shops also believes the engine was not assembled in a clean environment. They aren't saying it was assembled out in a dirt field, but they found debris within the engine that indicate due care for cleanliness was not a priority.

The damage included needing to replace every bearing in the engine. The crankshaft had to be ground and different sized bearings installed. All cylinders were honed and all rings were replaced with cast ones to solve the problem with sealing.
The reassembled short block came home.

$1,841.92 to fix the problem for an engine that was guaranteed "against anything but leaks". (The engine did leak, of course).

Have I mentioned I have never heard from Dave?

Dave, if you are reading this, the address you may send the check to is still the same.

You have remained very gentlemanly, above board and respectful throughout this whole BS fiasco. I'm glad you are getting the satisfaction of having your car project advance.

• Like 1

Congratulations on getting your car back on the road and running properly.  Thanks for the video; interesting how the advertised HP and torque compare to the 'real-world' rear-wheel numbers.  I wonder how Buick arrived at the advertised values...  No doubt it was with no accessories, no mufflers, 100-octane gas and scrupulous tuning.  Of course Buick wasn't alone with this practice; everyone was trying to 'one-up' the competition then.  I guess this ultimately led to the SAE's standardized 'net-HP' ratings in 1972.

Anyway, it was fun to see that ol' Cat squat on the rollers when you mashed the go-pedal!  Drive On!  ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EmTee said:

Congratulations on getting your car back on the road and running properly.  Thanks for the video; interesting how the advertised HP and torque compare to the 'real-world' rear-wheel numbers.  I wonder how Buick arrived at the advertised values...  No doubt it was with no accessories, no mufflers, 100-octane gas and scrupulous tuning.  Of course Buick wasn't alone with this practice; everyone was trying to 'one-up' the competition then.  I guess this ultimately led to the SAE's standardized 'net-HP' ratings in 1972.

Anyway, it was fun to see that ol' Cat squat on the rollers when you mashed the go-pedal!  Drive On!  ;)

Thank you for the kind words. The dyno staff actually drove, but as I stood in front of the car I thought "wow, I'm glad I have newer motor mounts!"
I've never had the car to 110 MPH in my ownership. It sounded great though.

• Like 3