1932 Caddy V16 - no reserve (Sothby's)

As I don't have deep enough pockets for a pre-war Cadillac it will never affect my decision whether to go with a 16, 12, or even an 8. But I love looking at the V16's

Even the post-war Cadi's are a very expensive car to restore and maintain. That I know first hand!

6 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I do not think I have ever see one of those. But we did have a nice Franklin roadster on the Vintage Tour in Kingston past Aug.

2019-08-06 2019 kingston vintage tour 015.JPG

I should also mention the fellow that owns this car had a V16 Cadillac at Brian Josephs shop having work done . He wanted to bring it on the tour but I believe it damaged a rod or something  so he brought one of his Franklin's instead.  Great guy very knowledgeable and loves to drive his cars.  

• Like 2

So what would have made a Buick of the same age (34-38) more drive-able then a Cadillac ?  The larger motor (weight) over the front end?  And to really go out into left field, any answer to why Buick stuck with the straight 8 when V 12's and 16's were the rage in the upper class car market?  GM corporate decision?  Have heard that Cadillac was always more then a little upset how close Buick got to Cadillac in the luxury market at times

Have a Delco Remy v16 distributor cap that gives the firing order as

RH 3 7 4 1 6 2 5 8

LH 1 6 2 5 8 3 7 4

ALSO TERMINALS ARE MARKED AS TO WHICH SPARK PLUG IT FEEDS (IDIOT PROOF EVEN IN THOSE DAYS)

MEASURE o dia of 5 1/8 inches 

Is it for a  Cadillac or Marmon ?

What are the worth good used condition or NOS 

Regards 

RH 3 7 4 1 6 2 5 8

LH 1 6 2 5 8 3 7 4

ALSO TERMINALS ARE MARKED AS TO WHICH SPARK PLUG IT FEEDS (IDIOT PROOF EVEN IN THOSE DAYS)

Regards 

On 12/25/2019 at 2:11 PM, Joe in Canada said:

I do not think I have ever see one of those. But we did have a nice Franklin roadster on the Vintage Tour in Kingston past Aug.

2019-08-06 2019 kingston vintage tour 015.JPG

That is Tom Kidd's car (a 1930 147 Roadster - incredibly rare car) - it was a vice nice older restored car when Tom bought it (and now mostly all re-restored) and via Tom having engineering smarts and handiness is an incredible tour car. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

That is Tom Kidd's car (a 1930 147 Roadster - i

Did not want to say his name but you are correct and here is a better shot of it .  He was hoping to bring his Cadillac on that tour but it was not in the cards. Picture was taken in Stirling on a very rainy day and he drove it like it is supposed to be. A true old car guy. 

2019-08-06 2019 kingston vintage tour 053.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 8:08 PM, Otahuhu said:

RH 3 7 4 1 6 2 5 8

LH 1 6 2 5 8 3 7 4

Regards 

This is a Marmon Sixteen distributor cap:

20191203_112352.thumb.jpg.ec5ee0362c65865461d9427caa224dc7.jpg

20191203_112356.thumb.jpg.6e1187657a2a7b460050e5849c9d7149.jpg

I believe the terminals on top of the cap for Cadillacs were different because they came out at a 90-degree angle.

If I were to sell that cap, I'd want at least $1000 for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/5/2019 at 1:59 PM, Walt G said:

I think the color will turn more then a few buyers off. Even if the whole car were the fender color it would be a bit better. But that is just my opinion.

It is like looking at a very pretty lady who has on to much makeup , you loose the true beauty  of what  you are viewing. Sometimes less is more. SO often

over the many decades I have heard someone say "well for $50.00 more you could have had the car painted any color you want " This all being stated with

a - yeah I know it all - smirk and stance by who is speaking. Trouble is if you had the $ to buy the car when new 99% of the time you didn't have a bright color

painted , because of the economic situation of that era people with $ did not want to call attention to themselves since many many people couldn't even afford

50 cents for a decent meal. Yes, cars were indeed painted bright colors in the Great Depression, but that was usually in areas of the USA that had bright sunshine for most of the year.

I usually tell people who give me the "for $50 you could have" remark - 'do you realize that most people at that time weren't making $50 per month working at a full time job ? '

Just a word about that color . . . I happen to like the color. It gives us a welcome break from the king of colors -- black. I  don't know the name of that particular color but it's like burgundy. I have a Corvette that color, and if you call it burgundy the Corvette gods will send lightning bolts down from heaven to melt your car -- yes, they let you live so you can repent your sins. Chevrolet calls that color "Monterey Red" for the 2007. model year. They know if they had called it something less extraordinary people would not pay much attention. So it begs the question, what is the name of the color on this beautiful Caddy? Please say it isn't burgundy.

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Did we have a thread on the 36 town sedan?    I finally got around to posting the video I took when they were getting it in line to go over the block.  I can't think of a better tour car.

Nice car, it is probably a little noisy-ier  than it should be but many settle down after you have them running for a few minutes and the expansion joints in exhaust manifolds settle in - the 34 probably spoiled me given it had faithfully reproduced exhaust using the originals as patterns, incredibly low mileage, and ....  Anyway, a great blue, a club sedan which is a nice sized interior, non-sidemounted which add great length in looks, and ...

Did we have a thread on the 36 town sedan?    I finally got around to posting the video I took when they were getting it in line to go over the block.  I can't think of a better tour car.

Still running a little rich and rough (although it might still be on the choke). Even the good ones probably need a pretty frequent hand on the screws.

love that car.  Especially as it is without side mounts.  

• Like 1

The later 12 & 16's are a much better engine than the earlier 30/31's.  The addition of the fuel pump and improved carburation, distributer and timing makes the later cars better performers and more stable & reliable.  They also gained 15 more HP.  I don't have any hands on experience with the 16's but I own 2 - 12's. One I bought while in high school in 1970. To make them run properly it is important that the carbs are properly balanced. Cadillac dealers had a specially made vacuum gauge with 2 columns of mercury for balancing the 2 banks. I just use a pair of identical vacuum gauges and adjust them for equal manifold vacuum.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Still running a little rich and rough (although it might still be on the choke). Even the good ones probably need a pretty frequent hand on the screws.

Tends to be user error more so than the car - ie getting into something you have not driven in a while that is not 100% turn the key and drive intuitive.

7 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

The 34 (also a spare tire in the trunk car - very streamlined exterior looks, but tire lays on the trunk floor and without a shelf over it either, so it really eats available space) would actually pop/backfire when started - it was air getting into the exhaust manifolds at the expansion joints and I would have dug into them, but I was yelled at early to just let it do its thing and in a few minutes all was fine (the expansion joints also caused the car to be exhaust noisy when you first started up - that settled down in a few minutes too).  

The 34 was a really nice car, but outside of 1930 and 1931, parts are quite the issue (anyone "really restoring" one of these more so than cosmetic needs faces/has quite the challenge).

I am now doing a 1936 Auburn 852 Phaeton with spare tire in the trunk - a great look, but a lovely trunk that could hold an army now holds a spare tire and maybe two medium sized duffel bags - if lucky.