1954 project--what's it worth

Pete Phillips

An acquaintance 35 miles from here called me up today and said he has decided he has too many projects and what would I offer him for his 1954 model 48 two-door sedan? 

I went over there today and took some photos. First of all, he paid way too much for it when he bought it a year ago, and I know if I make an offer he will be insulted, but the car is not complete and it needs work on just about everything. It is a rare 3-speed stick shift on the column with the original 264 engine was running two months ago until he messed around with the voltage regulator's wiring while installing a new push-button starter switch. He has replaced the floor with new metal (accelerator pedal not reattached yet). The body is good except for a dent at top of the left rear corner. Odometer shows 71,000 miles. Car needs better tires, has incorrect wheels, no hub caps, needs paint (in gray primer now, paint code is 06--not sure what that would be, but I see a light cream color in places where primer peeled off), has nice front clip, gas tank is missing, front seat is incorrect, side window glass is gone from the doors and the metal channel the glass mounts in is very rusty. He says he has the back seat springs and the interior door panels but I did not see them and I don't expect them to be in very good shape. The generator brace is missing so he has a piece of wood wedged in to keep the fan belt tight. Another friend of mine says he heard the engine running a couple of months ago, and it sounded pretty good. The owner says he has the tail lights and bezels that are not in the photo.

I don't need this car, but I do have a '54 Special 4-dr. sedan parts car which has many of the parts this one is lacking, like correct wheels, wheel covers, generator bracket, gas tank, but I really don't have the time to spend on another project. To me, this is another parts car. The owner is not a wealthy guy--he lives in a small, old house that recently got damaged by a runaway vehicle on the street in front, but that has nothing to do with anything, other than the guy needs $$$.

What do you guys think it is worth? The owner told me he paid $2600 for it a year ago and I know that's too much. I'll try to post some photos

What do you think the car is worth? Frame and rocker panels are very solid., but it looks like a parts car to me.

IMG_4888.JPG

IMO it is not really a profitable parts car.  How many people have a stick shift one and need the parts?  I do not have a good handle on the market but I would think if it is purchased it has to be brought back to a minimum standard of running, moving, and stopping.   If I was in the market, myself, I would offer no more than $1,000.  I might adjust that within a  + $500 range,  if I knew the guy and wanted to help him out.  Again, just my opinion. 

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

This is the potential of the 48D with a 3 on the tree you are considering.  Mine is a  3 speed.  It always gets a long look at the 3 pedals when at shows.   The 264 is very strong.  The 3 speed is a bit delicate.  I keep a second on hand(thanks Lamar) .  Always considering a 3rd transmission because I would  like another if I can get one for a great price.  Rebuild it from top to bottom.   The clutch parts are easy to be had.     And not to toot my own horn, this picture on this day she took "People's Choice" award.  Not to bad for a show that had 444+ cars attending.   

That 54 48D you have there...will be an awesome project.   

hxi4Mqx.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just noticed, she has the back up lights.  I'm guessing a even more rear option with a manual transmission.    Flexible steering wheel. Like mine, another option that adds to the overall look.  Not sure about the seats in this Buick.  Mine is a bench but each side folds forward to gain access to the pack seat. 

$1000-$1500   

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

2 hours ago, billbuickgs said:

Cost to restore this car will be twice the value of the car when finished .

And therein lies the problem, although that's not exclusive to this car.  You don't buy a car like this to save it or because it's rare, you have to buy it because you want and will enjoy this specific car -- because that's the only way you're going to get any payoff from the project.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, billbuickgs said:

I feel the problem with a car like this would be it is worth more in parts then together .

Cost to restore this car will be twice the value of the car when finished .

My 55  model 48 is the same way , you just enjoy the car  and keep dumping money in it !!!

Bill

It may be worth more in parts.  But then there is the dismantling.  Advertising.  Packaging item. You get the picture.  It also may be a good pass time with putting it back together. Ultimately one needs to consider what the end game will be.   Looks like a good candidate for restoring.  No doubt the cost to do so outweighs what it could sell for. But, sometimes it is the satisfaction of making it all come together and seeing it run and drive.   But I'll admit,  I have a soft spot for the Specials!       

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

And therein lies the problem, although that's not exclusive to this car.  You don't buy a car like this to save it or because it's rare, you have to buy it because you want and will enjoy this specific car -- because that's the only way you're going to get any payoff from the project.

👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The biggest hurdle would be finding the correct front seat.  Beyond that, sounds like Pete has just about everything.  With a pretty nice body and chrome, just might make a pretty nice driver for someone if the missing parts were put back and it was running well again.  Put a quick paint job on it, and enjoy!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 11:34 AM, billbuickgs said:

you just enjoy the car  and keep dumping money in it

Pete, if you plan on flipping it and can find someone with the above mind set (and like Bill, we are out here), I'd say buy for around $800-1,000, spend a day to get it driving and stopping,  bundle it with your 4 door and ask $2500-3000.

5 years ago this car would have easily brought in the range of what the owner paid for it but not these days. The little 3 speed sedans with 264's are unique and desirable enough to still sell pretty well to dreamers wanting to turn them into hotrods or maybe as LaCarrera Panamericana candidates. I love these cars, partly because it was my first '54 but also because of the somewhat plain and simple styling.  Are you sure tha's primer? I'm thinking 06 was Jordan Grey which is what I'm seeing on the firewall.  

• Like 1

It's a solid body and a two door. I don't think the $2600 was too much as an entry fee. The cars I have enjoyed the most were cars some mavin told me I paid too much for.

Imagine all the time that went into his decision to buy that car. Even an impulse buy flashes a significant amount of day dreaming, planning, and projecting.

Buying and selling both have some degree of planning. If I lived 35 miles from Phil and knew he was coming to look at a car I had for sale, or offered it to anyone, I would have done something about this:

image.png.3e34b63a830099a827fccfd0a7c2ecfd.png

That crap has been lying on the seat for more than a year I bet. Is that a fluorescent light ballast? From car sale presentations I have seen, if it had a rear seat the air cleaner would be sitting on it. That horn ring and dash chrome would have been polished the best I could within two days of the day I bought it. I would never offer what looks like an abandoned car for sale. This one looks fresh from the police auction.

A friend of mine in a similar situation (all his life) died a couple of years ago. He would accuse me of being a crook and swindler when I bought a car like that, cleaned it up, and sold it for a few bucks profit,  usually I was buying coffee when he did that.

Take a ride back and give a quick Selling 101 class.

Uhhmmm, I think "replaced the floor" is a very generous comment.

Catch me when it's not church day for more observations.

• Thanks 1