What Spark Plugs

awk409ak

Use the AC44s plug. I'm in the car repair business for 44 years and we've seen a lot of instances of Champion

plugs having the  bottom end of the plug come disassembled with the porcelain shield around the electrode 

coming apart and falling down. I have seen defective AC plugs every once in a great great while but it is extremely rare.

My favorite plugs other than the AC plugs are Autolites. They are economical to buy and I've never seen a defective one ever.

I use these in Chrysler and Ford products. I use NGK in the Asian brands with no problems. When customers ask me about Champion plugs I tell them I wouldn't put them in my lawnmower, let alone my car.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, awk409ak said:

Thanks.  Found some 5 AC 44s plugs on ebay, need to find 3 more.  I guess they are hard to find.  May need to have a few sets.

Art

Keep looking. I found most of mine on e-bay. There are some sets that are very highly priced. Resist the temptation. Cheaper ones will show up eventually.

Bill

You are right.  There a number of ones and twosies.  I think I'll buy some of them and stock up a little.  I also just checked and these are the same plug for my 67 Pontiac FB 400 (been awhile since I changed plugs in it, maybe logs 200 miles max per year), so it would not hurt have a few set for both cars.

Thanks,

Art

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 9:28 AM, awk409ak said:

Hi all,

So what spark plug does everyone like to run?  Changing plug this week, so thought I would ask.  Factory says AC 44s, is this a medium heat range plug (haven't looked it up yet)?  I've used Champions a lot in the past.

Thanks,

Art 

Art, for my 63 Tom Telesco installed Bosch Platinum plugs set at .0050. I am delighted with the tune up performance updates Tom completed. The distributor was rebuilt and electronic ignition updated. Tom gave the carb a rebuild. Since the updated tune up I can feel for the first time  the 2nd two barrels kick in on aggressive acceleration.

Tom said the Bosch Platinum plugs are good. I agree.

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Art, for my 63 Tom Telesco installed Bosch Platinum plugs set at .0050. I am delighted with the tune up performance updates Tom completed. The distributor was rebuilt and electronic ignition updated. Tom gave the carb a rebuild. Since the updated tune up I can feel for the first time  the 2nd two barrels kick in on aggressive acceleration.

Turbinator

Bob, what part number on the Bosch plugs?

25 minutes ago, telriv said:

That is correct Bill & what I normally use.  They require 1/2 the voltage to fire. Are a Multi Hear Range plug that adjusts itself automatically. VERY resistant to fouling & last just about forever in our applications.

Tom T.

Tom,

Bob mentioned a different plug gap than what is given for our application. Is that because he has the electronic ignition which calls for a different gap? Thanks.

Bill

On 10/14/2019 at 7:06 AM, Turbinator said:

Turbinator

Wait a minute!!  Are you really saying a gap of .0050 or is it .050, there is a huge difference here?

Art

29 minutes ago, awk409ak said:

Wait a minute!!  Are you really saying a gap of .0050 or is it .050, there is a huge difference here?

Art

I think Bob just held the 0 key a little too long. I have talked to Tom T. and he has told me the gap is 0.050 as opposed to 0.035.

Bill

5 hours ago, awk409ak said:

Art

Art, you are right it is .050 (50/1000). My mistake showing 50/10000 with .0050. I played a lot of football without a helmet.

Turbinator

1 hour ago, awk409ak said:

Turbintor,

All good!!

Art

Art, being mistaken and admitting the error at my age doesn’t smart nearly as much as when I was a boy in Math class. 🤓

Thank you for bringing the error to my attention. I’m much better at calculating ROI over a given time period.

Turbinator

5 hours ago, jsgun said:

I started using NGK on a ford motor years ago, awesome plugs. Got NGK platinum for my buick, but haven't ran them yet.

Steve, personally the tune up chain is as strong as your weakest link. I’m certain your NGK plugs do what they are suppose to do when all the tune up components are in sync. There are many ways to get where you want to go. The forum certainly has helped me quite a bit.

Turbinator

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2019 at 8:19 PM, Riviera63 said:

I think Bob just held the 0 key a little too long. I have talked to Tom T. and he has told me the gap is 0.050 as opposed to 0.035.

Bill

Bill, actually I made a down right  5th grade error with the decimal. Playing too much  football without a helmet is taking a toll.

• Haha 1