For Sale ~ 1930s 1940s Buick Valve in Head Neon Sign. Two Sided

1930s 1940s Buick Valve in Head neon sign. Two sided. Very cool. Neon will need to be fixed. Case is very nice. 72'' x 39''. The dealer used red paint back in the day to cover the "valve in head". Probably could be taken off with a mineral spirit. Truly a must have for a collector. 
763-355-5511

IMG-5575.JPG

IMG-5581.JPG

IMG-5103.JPG

I have seen signs sell in the 60’s and 70’s.  Very good ones that are rare   Routinely sell for six figures.

6 hours ago, DrukAuto said:

I get that, but that picture is a miniature replica of this sign. The real sign we have is 72'' long and weighs a probably 200 pounds. This is one that was hung up at a dealership in Mississippi.  

I know, your sign is just fantastic. Great design that inspired me to make mine. Unfortunately neon is not so easy to simulate. You will sell it quickly! 

Some years ago (probably 40 years ago) a friend and I left a free one of these in a dealer attic, because it was too big and heavy to handle.  The building had changed from a Buick dealership to a Ford dealership. This was in Maryland, maybe 30 miles west of Baltimore, north of D.C.  I've often thought about that mistake..

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Some years ago (probably 40 years ago) a friend and I left a free one of these in a dealer attic, because it was too big and heavy to handle.  The building had changed from a Buick dealership to a Ford dealership. This was in Maryland, maybe 30 miles west of Baltimore, north of D.C.  I've often thought about that mistake..

Maybe it is still there in the attic!!! Waiting for you!? 

I have a Packard equivalent of this sign, and they are indeed very heavy.  Probably around 200 pounds for the Packard sign, too.  I've noticed that some people cut these sorts of signs up into two signs and mount each to a wall, which makes some sense given that a two-sided sign with neon on both sides is pretty hard to put up in a personal garage (and the two-sided sign is quick thick, too.).   I'm not sure what it does to value, but I can see why people do that.

On 8/8/2019 at 12:53 PM, Dynaflash8 said:

I have no memory of the name of the town and I'm approaching 81 and living in Florida.

You should be able to remember that sign location better than you remember what you had for lunch yesterday!

Bernie

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

You should be able to remember that sign location better than you remember what you had for lunch yesterday!

Bernie

Nope, it was a very small town west of Baltimore and north of Washington.  Maybe if I had a Maryland map I could get lucky.  My friend and I had no idea how heavy it was.  We could never have gotten it down out of the attack and into the 1971 Dodge van I was driving.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...