Saw this 1942 Packard for sale on the way to Biomass

keiser31

My honey and I took a truckload of wood to Biomass (which is a wood recycle place) today in order to clear out more room in my garage/shop. On the way there, I had to stop and check out this 1942 Packard for sale....sitting in the weeds....

Picture 29840.jpg

Picture 29841.jpg

Picture 29842.jpg

Picture 29845.jpg

Picture 29846.jpg

Picture 29847.jpg

Picture 29848.jpg

Picture 29852.jpg

Picture 29853.jpg

Picture 29844.jpg

Picture 29851.jpg

Picture 29843.jpg

• Like 4

$7,500 seems a reasonable asking price for a 1942 Series 160 

Someone should be calling Rick

1-458-220-8508

to ask what kind of work it needs

• Like 1

"Business Cars" were indeed marked by Packard starting in the late 1930s. There was even a separate sales piece on Business cars , and as Owen Dyneto accurately mentions they had a few less of the extras that the luxury models  of Packards did in the line of cars they sold to customers who visited their showrooms. If I recall correctly the jump seats that folded down from the center partition between the center door posts were also a bit  wider in width to accommodate one extra person ( 3 instead of 2) , this may have started in 1937. These Business cars were primarily bought and used by funeral homes, transportation companies etc. for commercial use.

I called and found out a few things.

Missing the dash and gauges

Wiring is shot

needs a gas tank

No drivers outside door handle

He states that if one were to part this thing out that they would be rich.

He also explained an airport option which includes jump seats and a removable B pillar.

Claims engine is good but has not been run for years.

Pearl repaint. ??

He says he has several buyers at the $7500 but none of them have the money /??? So therefore OBO is not on the table.

He has a couple more of these including one that was used to haul the generals around Washington DC.

We talked quite awhile about our similar interests.

The car is parked in front of his shop, but didn't say what his business was.

Anybody have a dash and gauges?

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 6/25/2019 at 10:51 AM, Owen_Dyneto said:

Note the junior tail lights.  Indeed it is a 160, but I'm told it's the de-trimmed version without quite a few of the nice senior touches and marketed as a Business Car.  Note for example the "push-out" vent wing windows rather than the standard 160 geared vent windows.  

This was not unusual for Packard in 1942.  This was the last year of this body style due to the Clipper body which came out in '41.  The sentiment was to put anything that was in stock on these cars and get them out the door.  I have even seen 120 handles on the Senior cars.    John

On 6/25/2019 at 2:12 PM, JACK M said:

He says he has several buyers at the $7500 but none of them have the money /??? So therefore OBO is not on the table.

How can you be a buyer if you have no money? 

Cheers,

Grog

• Haha 1

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 10:31 AM, 41 Su8 said:

This was not unusual for Packard in 1942.  This was the last year of this body style due to the Clipper body which came out in '41.  The sentiment was to put anything that was in stock on these cars and get them out the door.  I have even seen 120 handles on the Senior cars.    John

Packard continued to offer fleet/taxi models after the war:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/49457-orphan-of-the-day-01-30-1947-packard-clipper-fleet-taxi

LWB:  https://www.junipergallery.com/galleryview.php?targetnode=9136&height=1683&width=2400&targetttl=Home of the Brave&picurl=SHORPY-N4-038A.jpg

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)