Most popular Model A body style TODAY

mrcvs

That is, if given a choice today, what style would most folks prefer?  I won't reveal what I heard yesterday but I just about did a backflip.  After several responses, I'll reveal what I was told--and why.

I'd bet it's four door sedan, for nice quiet, dry touring.  Everyone seems to WANT an open car, but I've seen a trend toward more closed cars being used on tours.  I still like a top flapping in the breeze, or better yet, hidden in a boot!

• Like 1

Wow, nicely done, mrcvs, you hooked us!  Now you just need to reel in the buyer!

Post some pictures and a price, Model A is a commodity, one can just sit down and spec it out like a new car (color, trim level, sidemounts, etc.) and find one to match pretty easily.  If you're serious about selling, put the car here, on the Model A Ford Club of America site, and maybe PreWarCar.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I prefer an open car as well.  The same people that want comfort are the ones that probably aren't as happy with an old car when they buy them as they are still an old car.  They need maintenance, finding people to work on them is difficult if you don't do the work yourself and they are still not going to stop start run or drive like your new car in most cases.  Some people probably don't like the smell either of warm oil and such you get in an old car.   All things to remember for a new be.  I know for the rest of us,  that's the exact reason we like them.  If we wanted a new car and the new car feel that's what we would go buy.   

That's the reason craigslist is filled with old cars that were bought 5 to 10 years ago and barely driven, because they actually took them out to drive them and didn't like them,  so they put them away for the next 5 to 10, not sure what to do with it,  until life shifted and they had to decide how to dispose of it. 

I had a '19 Touring T with which was fun to pick up a friend or two and go for drives on a pleasant days.

I would take it out in late Fall because the engine throws a considerable amount of heat.

Other than that not so much for rear seat passengers in cooler weather which didn't bother me up front.

So my preference is for closed cars.

If they want wind.......they can roll down the windows...... 😎

One reason that Fordor Model A's are do desirable is due to the adjustable front seat. Another is the comfort. I have a '29 Special Coupe, the passenger compartment is quite small. Roadsters are even tighter. Large people just cannot fit in some of the Model A's.

On 06/01/2019 at 8:52 AM, trimacar said:

Wow, nicely done, mrcvs, you hooked us!  Now you just need to reel in the buyer!

Post some pictures and a price, Model A is a commodity, one can just sit down and spec it out like a new car (color, trim level, sidemounts, etc.) and find one to match pretty easily.  If you're serious about selling, put the car here, on the Model A Ford Club of America site, and maybe PreWarCar.

Good luck.

I'll post some photographs soon.  I have no idea what it is even worth these days.

Okay here are some photographs.  I don't know...up in the air about letting her go.  But I don't drive it much.  In fact, 25 miles since engine refurbished as club project.  Other club members have gone over this car and said its fairly sound except front two quarter panels in lower portions need work.  Built 13 October 1930.

Ran fine 2 yrs ago.  Dead battery last spring.  Went to Wal-Mart AutoZone and Tractor Supply to purchase a replacement 6 volt battery this morning to run her today and no luck.  Where are you finding batteries today?

Interior redone in 1970's I was told.

20190602_130643.jpg

20190602_130719.jpg

20190602_130736.jpg

20190602_130748.jpg

20190602_130850.jpg

20190602_130859.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5632 said:

Optima.

Where would you get that?  The battery I have I replaced 5 yrs ago and I know I got it locally.  If you don't get locally, how does exchanging for the core fee work?

1 hour ago, 5632 said:

You do not purchase a Model A for comfort.

Well if you are buying a closed car over an open car becasue you want heat and less wind noise,  that would be considered comfort of the type long before everything was automated and we had Heated and cooled seats and steering wheels. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

I need a few days to think about this.  In the meantime, what seems like a good price for this to ask?  I'm thinking $12,500 but maybe that's high.

I've never been crazy about the Fordor body style and that's a motivating factor.  Replace it with something I, personally, like.

Until a few days ago, I was not even aware the Fordor was remotely popular.

5 hours ago, mrcvs said:

Okay here are some photographs.  I don't know...up in the air about letting her go.  But I don't drive it much.  In fact, 25 miles since engine refurbished as club project.

Sell it and get something you will drive.

Currently the car isn't doing anyone any good........ :wacko:

21 minutes ago, cahartley said:

Sell it and get something you will drive.

Well, that's the huge dilemma!  I bought it thinking that I would drive it, especially when my 1917 Maxwell is laid up pending finding parts, which is currently the case.

I thought I would buy a farmhouse and barn by now, and have it on my property, but that is much easier said than done, so I rent space in someone else's barn.  Not ideal, and removes any spontaneity from driving it, especially when I cannot easily access it sometimes.

I find my interests are early cars, the earlier the better!  I would buy something pre-1915, this time around.  My abilities suggest that I would end up driving something rarely, stuck with pesky repairs that take me an incredible amount of time to resolve.  Diagnosing, then obtaining parts, then fixing, then actually getting it to work, can easily eat up months.

A lot of guys like closed cars here in NE cause they are cozy in late fall and winter if roads are dry.  Fordors tend to have a solid feel to them as well.  But you will likely fall behind me on a long grade!  😆

• Like 2

Yes, Tractor Supply DOES have 6 volt batteries, and I got one there.  The day I went there, I asked if they had 6 volt batteries.  They stated no.  I guess they answered my question literally, and never mentioned they were actually coming in the next morning.

• 2 months later...

Model A's are commodities, there are so many of them that a potential buyer can pick and choose. Same with Model T's, early Thunderbirds, Mustangs.

Your car just hasn't hit the correct commodity price yet.  The fact that it needs paint, and you first put it on the market at an inflated price, doesn't help sell it.

To take one example of a car hard to sell and project that on the entire market is not correct.

Good luck with sale.

• Like 1

I must not have enough friends that want to go for a ride.  Besides unless you are touring for days on end,  you can take one or 3 with the rumble at a time.  Better yet,  you want to haul some friends around buy a Phaeton.  They are on the cheap side of mi9d 30's and up open cars. 

Just sold the 40 Ford Coupe last month.  Got about 3 times what the guys are trying to get for their 4 door sedans and it sold in a couple of weeks.  Those same sedans are still for sale. 

It was a business coupe. 

The current Pickup craze must not factor in taking friends for a ride as, unless it's just cruising through a show or in a local sanctioned type cruise you can only haul 3 with most old trucks since you can't have riders in the back on open roads anymore.  Seems all those guys aren't too worried about hauling loads of people around.  The van craze hasn't really rekindled either which is where it would be at,  if you really wanted to haul some friends around.  Yeah the many window VW's are popular but I don't think it's for school bus duty. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

What does a 1930 Ford Model A Phaeton go for these days? 

Maybe someday...

I have a real estate problem right now, which is why my Fordor is for sale, and I can only look but not buy anything else.

I always liked the Phaetons.  In the late 1980's, they were no where near affordable.