Bernie Lans Estate Sale

ted1922

I knew Bernie. But that would be Bernie LONG. I always enjoyed visiting him very much. I have posted many pictures, outside and inside several years ago. Never did see the "Crown Jewels" in the basement of his house. Glad that his daughters allowed an auction. Everyone who knew Bernie was afraid the land would be just quickly cleared for scrap value. His land is worth so much that the value of his car stuff is insignificant by comparison. 

Look up  "Bernie Long Auction".                   R.I.P.  Bernie, my friend.  I hope there are "horses" for you to trade in eternal peace.   -   Carl 

One of my uncles knew Bernie very well and we got to walk through Bernie's place when the family was just starting the process of cataloguing and sorting through his stuff.

We even got to wander through the basement.  😀

We were also given access to the various outbuildings and sea train containers.

The restored cars had been removed but there still a ton of stuff there.

But, there were still mountains of parts that would be desirable if they were matched with the right person looking for them.

A few of the cars that stood out was a '29 Cadillac that looked to be complete but needed a total restoration along with a funny looking Ford truck that we were told was a prototype used at one of the Ford factories as a yard mule.

We did walk away with some goodies for a fair price, not sure if my uncle ended up with the sand blast cabinet right outside the one building up front, but there was so much to see it was almost overwhelming.

Spent the weekend at the auction since I live close by. Interesting that it was promoted as mostly a no reserve auction, but the cars trucks and tractors all had "opening bids" which was in essence a reserve. In almost all cases the person doing the auction would not entertain anything less than the opening bid he quoted and the majority of the vehicles failed to sell. They then had a "silent auction" where potential buyers could put in a bid for the cars that didn't sell during the auction.

Odd technique. Many very interesting big trucks, but that is a very limited market these days. Most people who can even remotely handle one of these old girls already have several. And for the most part they are not all that rare. The 1920's Whites and Mack ? look especially interesting . But what a big  undertaking.

Greg in Canada 

2 hours ago, dpcdfan said:

Spent the weekend at the auction since I live close by. Interesting that it was promoted as mostly a no reserve auction, but the cars trucks and tractors all had "opening bids" .

Sounds to me like a dishonest auctioneer.

It would be really sad if scrappers got a lot of this stuff. Troves like this are becoming all too rare. There has to be a tremendous amount of really good stuff in a collection like this. Was the sale advertised much ? I only heard about it on this forum, way to late to make travel plans. 

Greg in Canada

8 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Looks like a Limited there at the end.  He might have been a nice fellow (or maybe still is) but hoarding is not cool, especially frowned upon in California.  Who is buying full on projects like these anymore?  The scrappers that's who.  

The 1941 Buick sold for $900.

Though I wonder if some, not all,  hoarders didn't keep cars from getting into the hands of guys that would have actually fixed them.  Less chance now with the number of projects on the market,  far exceeding the number of potential buyers as well as the crazy cost of all phases,  today,  compared to 20 years or more ago of restoration.   We know some were hard to deal with and often wanted many times what the car was worth , thus the reason they never sold them,  even though they got them for much less, and often the value of scrap.  Ones that were properly stored are one thing but many hoarders just parked them out back to save them,  in the Northeast type climates that was a death sentence. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

18 hours ago, Eldovert said:

Hey Jake..if it wasn't for "hoarders" like Bernie, all of this stuff would be gone a long time ago. Bernie ran a wrecking yard for many years and bought up parts and vehicles from other wrecking yards when they shut down.

Understood. All well and good, but there should be a game plan for moving this stuff into hands that can use the parts or restore the cars.  All too often, there is no plan, and now we are about 20 years past the garage restoration age, so normal hobbyists are no longer doing restorations.  So that leaves what most folks would say are "valuable parts."  OK, but there are no restorers to use the parts.  By NO, I mean a very, very small percentage of true hobbyists are rolling up their sleeves, diving in and restoring. 

The hoarders waited too long.  Hoarders as a term has a negative connotation.  Many hoarders are very nice people. There is a hoarder of 75 series Cadillacs and other high end cars about 30 miles away that simply will not sell anything for less than $10,000.  Even though most of it is now too far gone.  But he is a nice fellow.

9 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Less chance now with the number of projects on the market,  far exceeding the number of potential buyers as well as the crazy cost of all phases,  today,  compared to 20 years or more ago of restoration.    

Exactly. Market conditions have drastically changed.    Of course, if the yards and such that collected all of this had SOLD it a long time ago, then the yard itself would have closed a while back. 

Restorations may have slowed down. However I am sure some are still being undertaken. And although I am not really a part of the rodding segment it definitely seems active.

A reasonable price is key, but most early iron will still fetch more than scrap. Some of it substantially more. Not everyone {yet} is living in a 2 bedroom condo.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

Not everyone {yet} is living in a 2 bedroom condo.

Though every day the news tells us we should be because we would be much happier in life doing the dishes while we sit on the John,  or better yet a tiny house/ trailer.  Not much room to do a restoration in either.  

• Like 1

Around here they are only building $1.25 Mil. and up, up, up houses. And $600 - $750 thousand condo's.  Latest stats. reveal that 75% of Canadiens can't even afford a basic Apt. at todays prices. Offshore money has changed Canada completely, for the foreseeable future at least. 

Very few of the "new Canadian's" are old car people. The odd Porsche or upper model Mercedes from the 1960's but buy and large all late model luxury makes in all those new 4 and 5 car garages.  And once those luxury cars are about 8 years old you can't give them away. The local market is flooded with them. Too expensive for average people to operate. Too old for the status conscious market. It's becoming a very strange place to live.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

8 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Restorations may have slowed down. However I am sure some are still being undertaken. And although I am not really a part of the rodding segment it definitely seems active.

A reasonable price is key, but most early iron will still fetch more than scrap. Some of it substantially more. Not everyone {yet} is living in a 2 bedroom condo.

Greg in Canada

I've had car projects since high school, still looking for a good reason to finish them. Bob 

• 3 months later...

I'm from Montana, was at Bernies on Jan of 2017, met him, a nice older man. Looked at a 1953 Ford F900 truck he had, price a bit high plus transportation cost back here. He also had a few other Ford trucks, including a 53 F500 wrecker truck and a F750 fuel truck. Anyone know what these sold for? Didn't know about the auction until well past it.