car cover for outside storage

60ch

If you must cover it in an open, rain vulnerable location, you may need to use multiple layers. Proper ventilation will be necessary. The degree of heroics you would have to go through depends on several factors. O.K. We know there will be occasional rain. Is it a closed car, or convertible ? Year.? Direct Sun vs. Permanent shade, frequency and intensity of wind,, and any windblown dust or marine salt - salt is a deal killer, how frequently the covered car can be checked and tended to, what season(s) the 4 months span in what location ?

All these factors,, maybe more, will determine the solution. Depending on your answers to the above, this might be as simple as a single Tyvek cover with well padded flexible "sleepers", to a well guyed 4 layer "cocoon". 

Mark's suggestion could work best, also depending on some of the variables mentioned. And we can discuss how to make an enclosed canopy far more robust in order to counter some of those variables if needed. One solution if permitted in your neighborhood, is to build a simple "A" frame. Stabilization of such enclosed structures should be addressed If occasional heavy weather events take place.

If done properly, your car can re-emerge ripe and ready and hot to trot. Worst case scenario, if the solution is mismatched to the ambient necessities, would be substantial damage to the car.

Decades ago, before I became little and old, I was a tent maker. Our enclosure solutions were acclaimed as revolutionary. Still not equalled, much less beat. If you would like to give answers to he above questions, I might be able to help. Insufficient information at this point.

Jack just came through while I was wrapping up. Good ideas if possible. Containers must be extremely well ventilated, and if in areas where exposed to daily sunlight, fan(s) will have to run. Cool side intake. 

All storage must deal with potential pest protection. Rodents, birds, insects, reptiles, etc.      -  Carl 

• Like 1

I've got to agree with everyone so far.

My two cents ---- it depends on where you live.  If you are in an arid climate like Tucson or Vegas, then an outside cover to protect the car from the sun and dust may be fine. 

Everyone's comments seem to apply to where I live -- the damp northeast.

In that case ventilation or circulation of air is the most important.  If the cover gets soaking wet in a storm and it's humid for the next week or more, that water will not dry off.  The damp cover will be against the paint and will hold the moisture in. 

Having kept cars and motorcycles outdoors over the years I agree that a tent or canopy to keep the rain off is the best.  Then air can circulate and dry it quickly. 

As said, if it's only four months, I'd consider a storage mall or rental garage.  Might be expensive month-to-month but how much is a car cover?  How much is a tent or canopy? 

- Luke

I realize that not all of us have access to or the budget for indoor storage.  I have been in that position myself, and have used car covers outdoors in a carport.  I have to agree with the statement above that wind just causes a cover to beat the heck out of your paint.  Also, regardless of what the supplier says about breathable fabric, any cover is going to trap moisture more so than would no cover.  Where I live, a storage unit goes for 70 to 80 dollars per month, and most of the places give you the first month free.  So for only four months, a storage unit would cost about the same as a top quality cover.

1 hour ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Wind is not your friend when it comes to potable garages,

Amen to that. I remember when those portable garages came out, a friend got one. He had it tied down real well with concrete filled tires, blocks, etc. I thought it was the neatest thing I ever saw. A week later I was helping him pick it out of a neighbor's tree.

• Like 2

Always leave a window open a crack on a car stored outside, covered or not. If the passenger compartment can't breathe it will start behaving like a terrarium, and you will have a bunch of mold, mildew, and possibly other plant life growing in there.

Most Americans have $400 worth of junk in their garage and their $40,000 car outside.  As a car guy I never understood that logic and would rather put the $400 junk pile outside under a tarp or stuff  it in another Wally Watt Building.  I use car covers for cars stored inside a dry garage only, then I only use light weight nylon covers.  

• Like 1

My '86 Park Ave convertible was chosen to spend 4 months in a rental storage unit to give me some elbow room in my garage. The rent is good until April 14th. I plane to pick it up this week and juggle things around at home. The cost was $110 per month in a facility I have been using for business and hobby overflow since 2004. The units are 10' X 20', private, and locked.

It doesn't take much to do $500 damage to a semi-exposed car.

I don't use car covers at all. Grimy's friend, The Godfather, told me is it important to see your cars whenever you walk into the garage to make you feel good. And I follow his excellent example, hated to send one car away, need a bigger garage.

Bernie