Water pump differences

NC-car-guy

3 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Am I seeing things or are the mounting holes different?

Ben

The front casting of the water pump is definitely different but the holes all line up I tried it on a timing cover I have sitting in the shop

• Like 1

I count 3 and 6 vanes.........

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 56 Buick said:

It looks to me as though the 3 blades are deeper in cross section and would likely move more water than the 5 bladed unitiui where the blades are shallower - unless its the angle of the units being different in the photo!?!

Interesting.  I'll measure

The blade geometry is different. Look at where the blades meet the base of the pump on the shaft. The 3 blade vanes are flush on the bottom with the shaft while the 6 blade vanes are not. This is most likely due to cavitation issues in the pump head. Bear in mind if you upgrade to a 5 or 6 blade water pump, your engine will have to work harder to pump it. However, the faster and more turbulent your water flow, the greater the heat transfer.

I have also had bad luck with water pump rebuilding. These old guys must be getting shaky hands on these precision jobs. :P I've always wanted to try out a FlowKooler water pump because they CNC machine their pump rotors to be high flowing with minimal cavitation.

16 minutes ago, Beemon said:

The blade geometry is different. Look at where the blades meet the base of the pump on the shaft. The 3 blade vanes are flush on the bottom with the shaft while the 6 blade vanes are not. This is most likely due to cavitation issues in the pump head. Bear in mind if you upgrade to a 5 or 6 blade water pump, your engine will have to work harder to pump it. However, the faster and more turbulent your water flow, the greater the heat transfer.

I have also had bad luck with water pump rebuilding. These old guys must be getting shaky hands on these precision jobs. :P I've always wanted to try out a FlowKooler water pump because they CNC machine their pump rotors to be high flowing with minimal cavitation.

Yea well I dont like "out running" my water pump.  And the additional "work" would be worth it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

their website says they already did a 56 Roadmaster pump and a Buick 322 pump.  Unless I misinterpreted the label on the chart in the Restored and rebuilt tab. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So I found out today, if i'm recalling the convo correctly....  54's had 6 veins, the 55's all had 3 veins, that were larger, and the 56 had three vein or 5 vein (for A/C).  He also mentioned that the 56 is a superior pump and while it will bolt to the earlier nailheads, should only be used on the 56 timing cover due to how the water passages line up.  Well if you put a 56 timing cover on a 54/55 car, you're suddenly missing cooling to the transmission.  Anyhow, I'm leaning toward the flowkooler at this point...