antifreeze in exhaust

mikeyz123

Hey guys so about a month ago I replaced the head gasket on my 1949 Chrysler windsor, yesterday as i tried to start it there was antifreeze shooting up thru the carb, so i took the carb off and there was antifreeze in the headers, there was no water in the oil or anything and looked ok. Not sure as to why there is antifreeze in the headers tho. Any suggestions? 

FD281293-A917-4E68-A3DC-FBDDAC467EAF.jpeg

Did you have the cylinder head PLANED to ensure that it had not warped?

This should always be checked, preferably by a machine shop, before reassembly.

In fact, maybe the real problem was a warped head, or that it could have caused you prior gasket failure.

Did you do a compression check?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

General rule is if you do something and a bad thing happens it,s the fault of what you just did

......bob

Yeah, I manage to do that with dismaying frequency.  All too often my screw-ups are the result of following the advice of "experts".  "I guess I'll never learn."  With that said, it's all part of the hobby, and it's a continuing educational experience ... and it's all (well mostly) good.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capngrog said:

Yeah, I manage to do that with dismaying frequency.  All too often my screw-ups are the result of following the advice of "experts".  "I guess I'll never learn."  With that said, it's all part of the hobby, and it's a continuing educational experience ... and it's all (well mostly) good.

Cheers,

Grog

When you are getting help on a forum don't expect to be getting advice from experts. There are two kinds of people on a forum. Those who try to help and those who don't. :)

6 hours ago, mikeyz123 said:

Hey guys so about a month ago I replaced the head gasket on my 1949 Chrysler windsor, yesterday as i tried to start it there was antifreeze shooting up thru the carb, so i took the carb off and there was antifreeze in the headers, there was no water in the oil or anything and looked ok. Not sure as to why there is antifreeze in the headers tho. Any suggestions? 

FD281293-A917-4E68-A3DC-FBDDAC467EAF.jpeg

Take the manifold off again and put sealant on the retaining bolts, some of them go into the water jacket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

When you are getting help on a forum don't expect to be getting advice from experts. There are two kinds of people on a forum. Those who try to help and those who don't. :)

And a lot who have had the same issues.

Hope it’s an easy fix for you.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I wasn't referring to the advice offered on this or any other Forum.  I guess I should have made it clear that in my personal experience, the "experts" who most often steer me in the wrong direction are the professional "experts"  at parts stores, repair shops, accessory vendors, dealerships etc.; in other words, people who should know better.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ragtop4two said:

As mentioned above you should have had your head checked for warpage and cracks. Also when bolting the head down did you torque the bolts properly with a torque wrench and in the right pattern? 

That line makes me think of my wife saying I should have my “head checked” for bringing home some of the stuff I did over the years.  With these projects you can expect a few of these learning experiences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have antifreeze in the intake manifold it most likely is everywhere...  Unfortunately you will have to take the head off to figure out where the leak is.  On the bright side you only have two sources the head gasket itself (assuming the head was not leaking previously?) or the head bolts.  I use "copper safe" head gasket sealant on my head gaskets and never have had a leak.  If you have head bolts (not studs) some of the holes go through to the water passages so you need thread sealer on the bolts.  Whenever I pull a head I like to have it checked for flatness.  I fill my engines (to test) with water first to make sure they are not leaking, make sure you retorque the head as directed.  I assume you had a head torque pattern? if not, all bets are off.

You did not mention why you pulled the head? 

Good Luck

I'm guessing wrong head gasket or installed upside down or flipped front to back if not symmetrical.  Check it against the one you removed.  You also may have bolts that go into the water jacket, that you did not put sealer on and the antifreeze is running up the threads and into the intake and exhaust manifolds.

13 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

Let's start with the beginning. Why did you replace the head gasket originally? What were the symptoms that told you it needed to be replaced?

There was water in the oil and engine was over heating, and when i took head off it was clear there was a crack in the headgasket.

O.K., so unfortunately as others have suggested you will need to pull the head and start over. Could be a wrong head gasket, not sealed correctly, not torqued properly, not sealing any studs that go into a water jacket, warped head and the worst issue, a crack somewhere. Please keep us informed on your progress.

• Like 1