10 second test on a touring car

28 Chrysler

53 minutes ago, zipdang said:

Was there a body under the car that was scratched out in the photo? Hmm...

This photo has been around this site for a while. The car looks like it's floating by the way the photo has been retouched.

On 2/6/2019 at 5:12 PM, 28 Chrysler said:

Wrecker chain on the front bumper, what was the make ?

The rear section of the front fender is a tell as to the make. Not too many front fenders ended as abruptly as the one on the riddled car.

Maybe the car is "floating". With the tires puntured by bullets it would be pretty difficult to tow around. The front is suspended by a wrecker. Isn't it likely the rear axle is also supported by something not visible in the picture?

Rate of fire about 600 rpm apparently by that time. So there should be about 100 holes in it if they all hit the car. Apparently they had a tendency for the barrel to climb during fire so the operator must have been pretty good to get them in the car like that. They must have had a damn big magazine; usually they were 20 or 50 round mag's apparently.

2 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Rate of fire about 600 rpm apparently by that time. So there should be about 100 holes in it if they all hit the car. Apparently they had a tendency for the barrel to climb during fire so the operator must have been pretty good to get them in the car like that. They must have had a damn big magazine; usually they were 20 or 50 round mag's apparently.

They made 50 and 100 round drum magazines. The Thompson used 45 caliber ammunition. Common practice was to aim low let the gun raise up from kick and then stop firing and repeat. However some marksmen could fire nonstop. Others would detach the sling from the stock of the gun and stand on it to prevent the muzzle from rising too far.

3692.jpg

Thompson%2001.jpg

Thompson_in_violin_case.jpg

The used car value of most of the minor makes such as Jewett wasn't much by the time they were 5-6 years old.  Its value would be even less once it became a defunct make after the 1927 model year which was Jewett's last.  The minion charged with buying a jalopy for this demonstration was told, "Get the best-looking jalopy you can for $25, don't matter if it runs".

On 2/8/2019 at 10:46 PM, Brass is Best said:

They made 50 and 100 round drum magazines. The Thompson used 45 caliber ammunition. Common practice was to aim low let the gun raise up from kick and then stop firing and repeat. However some marksmen could fire nonstop. Others would detach the sling from the stock of the gun and stand on it to prevent the muzzle from rising too far.          

I was considering this earlier and almost posted. I am familar with the M1928. Even with the firing rate of 830 RPM, this has to be more than a "10 second burst". The 100 round drum mag. was probably used but this car shows a lot more than 100 rounds have penetrated. So 2 drum mags maybe? Either way, more than 10 seconds. But still a good advertising ploy and a stark reminder of the deadly efficiency of the Thompson submachine gun.

I've actually fired one at an FBI demonstration for executives at an armed forces base. The Thompson gun is heavy, and because the .45 cal round is a pistol ("submachine gun") round, it has far less recoil than a rifle round would. Between the heaviness of the weapon and the lesser powered round, it was "comfortable" to fire bursts with. But you do have to concentrate to control the "climb".

FYI, RON

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 1:52 PM, Spinneyhill said:

Is the paint really that poor that it comes off in lumps around a bullet hole? I would have thought no paint would come off. Itsa fake.

Actually, paint often does come off like that from the impact of a high powered bullet. I've shot a few junkers in my youth, before they were about to be scrapped. I suppose the metal sometimes oscillates back and forth on the impact, and paint sometimes just cracks off.