Caring for classic car

Superbee123

My dad passed and I got his classic car. I spent a lot of money towing it through several states to get it home. I don't have a garage. How can I care for it? Bringing it home, putting insurance, and tags on it put a nice dent in my finances. It doesn't start but the body is in excellent condition. Thanks. 

Getting it running probably isn't a big job if it ran in the not-too-distant past. Most running issues on cars that were laid up for a period are fuel-related, so fresh gas, a clean carburetor, new plugs, and new filter (if applicable) are all good places to start. Make sure you have a strong battery and fresh oil and coolant (you can do the other fluids later, after it's running). There's always the possibility of a gunked-up gas tank, but you can tackle that later if necessary.

Also, if it's currently in good cosmetic condition, you should get it under cover or into a garage ASAP. Exposure to the elements will hasten the car's deterioration.

More details and you'll get better assistance here--there are experts on almost every type of car who will give you all kinds of useful tips. Good luck!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Also, if it's currently in good cosmetic condition, you should get it under cover or into a garage ASAP. Exposure to the elements will hasten the car's deterioration.

Probably the most important thing to do first.

Getting it running can be quick and easy or expensive and long term.

Getting it cleaned up and inside dry storage will then give you the time to tackle the rest while not letting the car deteriorate to a point that the running part won't matter because then it will need a bunch more cosmetic work it didn't need.

Even if you have to find a neighbor with a spare garage stall you need to mow their lawn or if elderly,  help them with stuff around the house once in a while, it will make it more cost effective for you than a storage unit plus maybe help out someone that could use the help besides.  I did this with a few old neighbor ladies and they were tickled pink they could call me to change a light bulb or something and know I would be right over.   Win win for everyone.

If you also towed it through any salt on your way home,  be sure to get the car cleaned up right away especially underneath if you used an open hauler.  Again post pictures.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

As others have stated , more information is needed. Of course make, year and model of your car. It's going to be a lot easier to start a Model A then say a 12 cylinder car. How long has it been sitting? Why it doesn't start could be several reasons, is the engine free?  Did it run before it went into storage? You don't say where you are located but I would contact a local car club and start there. Cars that are stored outside can deteriorate really fast.

I'm going to hazard a guess by your user name that it's a Dodge "Bee" body from late 60's? If so please take the advice from the previous posts and keep it inside or a least a carport out of the rain or snow. These models have leaky wiper motor and window gaskets that will cause rust and interior damage in a very short time from my experience.

• Like 1

Depending on where you live, make, yr, model of car and assuming you have never been a gear head ( if it’s a 60’s) or a restorer or just simple mechanical ability I would look for a local club or chapter of AACA for help. The above suggestions are excellent but also can run into dollars. Find someone local to help and get it inside ASAP. 

Post pics, keep us informed and most of all have fun it’s a great memory to enjoy knowing it was you dad’s. 

Dave S 

• Like 1

Would be nice to know what kind of car it is?

Please tell us more.  Where are you located?  Consider joining the local AACA Region for starters.  I'm sure your Dad would want you to enjoy the car and that's the best way to get started doing that.

Terry

• Like 2

Superbee, if you start a conversation on the forum,

please come back regularly to participate.  We want to

talk to you!  And we need to know more about your car, as 

others have asked.  People can give excellent advice

if they know more specifics.

Is your insurance for this car with one of the well-known

and respected antique-car insurance companies?

J. C. Taylor;  Hagerty;  Grundy are among them.  You'll

find that your insurance may cost less than $100 per year.

DO NOT insure an antique car with a company that

mainly handles everyday modern cars, because they don't

understand the needs of antiques, and if you have to 

make any claims, they may treat your car as a much-depreciated

used car and not pay properly!