1922 engine progress

Mark Kikta

19 minutes ago, Mark Kikta said:

Today I got most of my Stewart Vacuum tank parts back from the glass bead blaster and they really cleaned up well.  One issues I noticed was that the bolt that holds the fuel line on the top of the tank was really deformed from someone really torquing it down,most likely to stop it from leaking.  I think I need to do something to it so it won't leak for me.  Maybe I will file the underneath of the bolt head smooth?Someone must have put a lot of pressure on it to deform the head like this and also crack the bolt around the hole for the fuel to go through.  Anyone have any other ideas or anyone have a similar bolt they want to sell?

The world would be a much better place if the word "pot metal" was erased from the dictionary. I can guarantee 100% that the pot metal lid is cracked and ready to break right off. The do make an aluminum alloy solder that can repair pot metal but it's no stronger than PC7 or JB weld and I suggest you use that. Take it from me, if there is any question about pot metal, the answer is "yes, it's broken".

• Like 1

Mark, 

From the twist in the banjo bolt, it appears that the threads held in the pot metal when someone tried to tighten the bolt.  I would suggest using a lot of never seize on the threads and then don't worry about it.  Run the bolt on the threads a few times dry to clean and chase the threads.  Use new copper asbestos gaskets or red fiber.  www.restorationstuff.com has the gaskets.  Also - get rid of the steel plugs and buy brass.   Hugh

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Tonight I took Terry Wiegand’s recommendation and turned this deformed brass fitting for my vacuum tank on my lathe and it came out great.  I should have much better luck getting it to not leak now.

0C5EDC23-3B4B-4A36-8438-2FA9226801B3.jpeg

CACFDC2F-2112-42AA-84B2-5BA13EEB830D.jpeg

1B50525E-EEE5-41E4-9D40-12924A60A2D5.jpeg

D5BC847A-73CB-4487-91C3-CBDAC6050305.jpeg

• Like 3

What you don't understand is that fitting would never leak gasoline. It's a vacuum system, not a pump system. The top of the vacuum tank where that fitting is makes a vacuum, and if there is a leak there, it would suck air in, not gasoline out. The person who put all that torque on the nut to stop a leak just kept on tightening it hoping to stop the vacuum leak, to make the vacuum tank work. The actual vacuum leak could have been many other places, most likely the lid itself. That's why I use RUBBER gaskets between the upper lid and vacuum tank, and between the vacuum tank and lower tank body. That's probably where the vacuum leak is, not that nut. Cork gaskets are baloney, use rubber. I used the 1/16 inch thickness red rubber gasket material at any ACE Hardware store.

The problem with using rubber gaskets on an application like this is the location of the tank.  It is very close to the exhaust manifold and subjected to repeated heating and cooling.  The rubber would last for a while and then start to break down.  In my humble opinion, the best thing to use would be a copper crush gasket.  Morgan is correct - it is a vacuum leak issue and not a fuel loss thing.  Look at all vacuum connections real close because that is where trouble can start very quick.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Mark - take it from one who did this - me - make sure that nipple lines up with the top of the pump, if it is not installed properly then you will only burn the gas in the canister, there wont be any suction - I too used cork gaskets with a little bit of sealer

Jim

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

If fuel with ethanol gets near those rubber gaskets, you can kiss them goodby.

There are kits with correct gasket material availablr - dont reinvent the wheel plus, you'll save yourself a lot of greif.

I use non-ethanol. The "correct" gasket material was cork which I declined to use.

Vacuum tanks are famous for being unreliable. I am guessing a major part of their unreliableness has to do with vacuum loss, and a major point of vacuum loss is probably that big rim where the lid joins. So many people have given up on vacuum tanks and added fuel pumps I can see there has been a huge problem with them. I can't add a fuel pump, as my car is a POF (preservation of original features) car. So far, my vacuum tanks works fine, if there is a problem down the road I'll try a different material.

I can't imagine that cork is the best material for preventing air leaks in that lid. Every air fitting I've ever seen, from tires to basketballs to car windows, used rubber so that's what I tried. Maybe there is something better, like neoprene or something.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DonMicheletti said:

Morgan, you are lucky. No non-ethanol around here.  And the ethanol stuff is a PITA

We have this awesome chain over here called Stewarts. They started off as a dairy and ice cream but developed into convenience stores with gas and everything. Totally awesome chain, there are hundreds of Stewarts in NE New York, and EVERY ONE has non ethanol for the 91 octane (the other octanes have ethanol)

My radiator shop technician glass beaded my tank for me and said that the inside parts had been plated with something originally. Then  I read that the inside parts were originally nickel plated, so I decided to give a try at re-plating the float so it wouldn’t corrode.  It worked pretty well.  Not perfect but it’s bound to help some.

D8EE42FF-824C-4C3E-8ACF-886DCFA0587B.jpeg

89BD77B4-131A-4EA1-9888-B3A90BC16246.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 8:29 PM, Mark Kikta said:

Today I replaced the padding material needed on the top brackets and bottom straps for mounting my newly reworked gas tank. I attached the material to the top bracket with a split rivet as it was originally attached.  After putting the top brackets and insulating material in place, I jacked the tank up into position and installed the lower straps and insulating material.   I tightened the lower straps and the tank is in place.

ECD64AE3-11B6-4377-A95B-84D89436A90D.jpeg

1667594A-5054-4AEF-B565-C7094FE30462.jpeg

88E62147-4BB8-4056-879C-A77EE73EA135.jpeg

6A1C24F8-33A0-4166-92F9-8E512A59C6E6.jpeg

3CC28AF1-D160-4E89-8E9E-47E082114975.jpeg

hi mark where did you bought your new tank ? I need one for my k49 project. Do you know where I can buy All the gazoline gauge too ?

thank you very much, anthony

• Like 1

Anthony,

This is the tank off this car that I had cleaned and sealed inside.  It was like like someone had replaced it many years ago and not used much according to the guys at the radiator repair shop that did the work.  I know it had not been used since the late 50s.

On 2/2/2020 at 7:55 AM, Mark Kikta said:

Oh you asked about the gas gage.....mine works fine but I need to make/get a new face for it.

Hello  Mark!

i too am working on the face/dial on our 27/27, I had some templates made up for the gauge and it’s my first practice run on a paint can lid.  

The route that I am going seems to be a bit different than most folks, I am acid etching the original face of the gauge with new markings.  This process will allow the paint/coating to sit inside the etched area and shouldn’t flake or wear off.  That’s my thought process anyway!

Here is my first practice run on paint can lid:

42123195-3C47-4491-A052-46B6C7621790.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tonight I finished making my battery cables.  I grounded the battery to the frame as original and also to the transmission.  Added an electrical cutoff switch in the positive line to the starter. 

E86E8178-46BA-4F14-923D-E85E36783F1B.jpeg

A9B65541-BD33-4918-90A1-3FAC26514D1F.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I have finished with the rear axle, differential and rear wheels, I’m back working on the engine. I used my little whistle on each cylinder to find top dead center so I could get all of my valves adjusted properly at .010.

Then I retarded the spark lever and set the engine at 7deg retarded.  I installed points and set them as the book calls for at the number one spark plug terminal on my new distributor cap. I set the points at .025 as the book calls for. Next on to plugs ad plug wires.

5F1B7704-7D5E-412F-8F2E-C723315722E9.jpeg

8D31133B-E482-4E80-B170-90FE3EA79B8C.jpeg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Well today was another exciting day and a milestone in my effort to get the old girl running again.  I completed the wiring and combination switch installation.  Then for the first time in over 60 years, I put power to the system. I Watched but no smoke was present anywhere.   When I turned the switch on,  the starter I rebuilt began clicking and motoring.  How exciting!  Then I pushed the horn button and the horn fired up as well.

One step at a time we are making a little progress. Next on to plug wiring and gapping the plugs.  Then on to checking out the vacuum tank and hooking up the radiator.

57DCD134-2E63-4A46-A236-F0FE90119B89.jpeg

9D373AE0-450F-4F37-9949-D33C7CD8DA19.jpeg

• Like 2

Got out my NOS Blue Streak spark plugs this morning to gap and install in the old girl.  I am told they were good plugs years ago and that a lot of racers used them.  I hope they work well.  I do have a set of AC C77L as backup if these don’t work.

86D67A8D-48D4-4636-9C33-259ADA20BAD8.jpeg

• Like 1

Today I also grounded a spark plug that was attached to a plug wire and had my wife crank the car with the starter.  I had a good strong spark.    Now I am getting excited. The coil looks good.  I believe the old girl is just itching to start!!

It won’t be long.  I need to clean up some electrical work,  finish the vacuum tank and fill the coolant system.  

After we finally get some dry warm weather, we’ll give it a try.

• Like 2