6 volt battery maintainer

stvaughn

My brother uses a small solar panel system for keeping the 12 V batteries for the main engine and generator charged on his live-on sailboat, so that he doesn't have to run the engine everyday to recharge. The panel is only about two foot square - easily mounted on the outside of a garage - and the control unit is small. Probably wouldn't need a panel that big or costly just to trickle charge a car battery.

It's a common method with the cruising sailboat people, so those type systems might be found in marine supply places, or cruising boat websites.

Paul

14 minutes ago, C Carl said:

What would prevent a solar charger from overcharging if it was being used as a maintainer ?   -  CC 

My brother said there's a small control unit that takes care of the charge rate. I've never seen the control unit, just the panels up on deck. He's an electrical engineer and he's  been using it for a few years with no complaints.  

Paul 

I got one brand-named Viking from Harbor Freight that does both 6 & 12 volt charging and maintaining that I like.  I think it was less than $30.

I have my Battery Tender PLUS

thing is YOU want to make sure you have a Maintainer that is Intelligent. charges battery up, then maintains the charge. do not want a TRICKLE charger.

the Battery Tenders have a 4 stage system, they are approved for standard lead acid as well as AGM. I have both a 6v and a 12v !!

Battery Tender 6v - Info_Page_1.png

Battery Tender 6v - Info_Page_2.png

On 10/8/2018 at 11:11 AM, PFitz said:

My brother said there's a small control unit that takes care of the charge rate. I've never seen the control unit, just the panels up on deck. He's an electrical engineer and he's  been using it for a few years with no complaints.  

Paul 

Hi, I use a solar panel charger bought from a 4WD outlet for my 12V Buick Riviera and I leave it connected all the time. Highly recommend it. Has been in use for three years without any issue.

Would also like to find a six volt version for the ‘38 Buick but no such luck.

just my two bobs worth

Rodney ?????