Special Tax Rate for Antique Vehicles Registered in North Carolina

NC1968Riviera

Fellow North Carolina ROA members. I wanted to share some valuable information about antique vehicles registered with Antique Vehicle tags in North Carolina. In NC, a vehicle is considered an "Antique" if it is 35 or more years old from the date of manufacture.

You can apply through your county tax office to set the value of your registered Antique Vehicle to be a maximum of $500 instead of the appraised values used by the county. (I have no idea where the counties get these values. If anyone knows, please chime in!)

There is some criteria an owners car must meet in order to qualify for this special tax rate. See below:

"NCGA General Statutes -CHAPTER 105 Taxation. SUBCHAPTER I. LEVY OF TAXES.
§ 105-330.9. Antique automobiles. (a)For the purpose of this section, the term "antique automobile" means a motor vehicle that meets all of the following conditions: (1) It is registered with the Division of Motor Vehicles and has an historic vehicle special license plate under G.S. 20-79.4. (2) It is maintained primarily for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other public interest functions. (3) It is used only occasionally for other purposes. (4) It is owned by an individual. (5) It is used by the owner for a purpose other than the production of income and is not used in connection with a business. (b) Antique automobiles are designated a special class of property under Article V, Sec. 2(2) of the North Carolina Constitution and shall be assessed for taxation in accordance with this section. An antique automobile shall be assessed at the lower of its true value or five hundred dollars ($500.00). (1995, c. 512, s. 2.)"

In Cumberland County, NC you can go to the County Courthouse building, 5th Floor and request "Antique Automobile Application Questionnaire" http://www.co.cumberland.nc.us/…/antique_mv_application_fil…. There is no fee to apply and you may get a refund for the difference of the tax rate charged during your last renewal and what the new rate will be. You only have to apply once for this new tax rate to be applied to your vehicle, but the rate is not transferable to new owners.

Owners in other states may also have similar tax breaks for their registered Antique vehicles. Inquire at your state or county tax office.

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I miss the benefits of living in North Carolina.  When I moved there in 2007, I had my 65 and 69 Rivs as well as my 71 Monte Carlo.  Coming from Massachusetts where you are constantly bending over for the state, I just assumed you had to have your vehicles inspected on an annual basis (It was up to $31.00 per vehicle when I left MA).  I was pleasantly surprised to find out that once your vehicle reaches 35 years of age, it no longer requires a state inspection in NC.  I was a happy camper!  Now I am in Connecticut and they don't require one either.

• Like 1

Don't move to NY.  They require one here,  though it's only 10.00.  it's a pain as you can't reregister your car each year unless you get it inspected.  They won't offer a renewal if your inspection has expired.  So you have to drive an uninspected and unregistered car to the station to get it inspected before you can register it.  It]s very easy to laps with winter being 6 months long.  Many cars I buy in the winter or late fall and register then so they don't actually go for an inspection until mid summer the following year when I have finally fixed everything that's wrong with them that would prevent them from being safe.  Really a pain as I hate to have to turn in plates on cars I'm not driving but there is no way to renew them if you can't drive them to the inspection station to get them inspected.  They were talking about something for 35 year old cars a while ago being exempt but I'm sure someone pointed out the lost revenue if they did so it got squashed. 

Someone on FB tried to tell me that this special tax rate is automatically applied if you have "Horseless Carriage" or "Antique" NC plates.

This was not true in my case but it may be so for others in other counties. If the local License Plate offices would mention this special tax rate

when you apply for a specialty license, maybe more people would take advantage of it.

23 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

(I have no idea where the counties get these values. If anyone knows, please chime in!)

Thanks for posting this Mike, I should look into it.

To answer your question above, for me anyway, Randolph county sent me the questionnaire below, when I sent it in they used the figure/value I put on the car.

1422953651_RandolphCountyVintageAutomobileQuestionnaire-20170910.1.thumb.jpg.d30c25a2e45096885062fe7050d43de5.jpg

I guess it would save me some money in taxes for a couple of mine, I'll see what I can find out.

One question for you though.

I figure the way NC is about plates, do they charge an "extra" $30 up front, and per year, for an Antique plate?   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rivman said:

Thanks for posting this Mike, I should look into it.

To answer your question above, for me anyway, Randolph county sent me the questionnaire below, when I sent it in they used the figure/value I put on the car.

I guess it would save me some money in taxes for a couple of mine, I'll see what I can find out.

One question for you though.

I figure the way NC is about plates, do they charge an "extra" $30 up front, and per year, for an Antique plate?   

I received a similar form also which prompted me to call the Cumberland Co. tax office. This is when it was mentioned about applying for a reduced tax rate on antique registered vehicles.

I know there is no incentive for the state to advertise that you can pay less tax on an antique vehicle but it would still be nice to know about the program up front!

Yes, North Carolina "Antique" and "Horseless Carriage" plates are treated as Vanity plates and thus charged the extra amount annually for them. The reduced tax amount each year will definitely ease the pain in paying for these plates each year! :)

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)

In Texas,  you can register a 25 year old vehicle as Antique.   Mileage is not restricted but you are only to drive it to shows, club events, maintenance etc the registration is good for 5 year and is $10 per year (plus add on the county you live in has)  There is no state inspection and no property tax in Texas.   You can also use a year of manufacture tag, but it must be approved by the state.

We also have a Classic registration (25 years old and older) but that is nothing more than a Classic license plate.....car must be inspected and you pay the annual registration fee.  You can also use a year of manufacture tag which must be approved.

In Texas, about 1975 they no longer stamped the year on the tag,  so I don't know how they handle it if you want to use a year of manufacture on a 1975 and newer.

I drove my 1991 Reatta to Milwaukee BCA meet last year with Antique tags on it....pass thru  4 states and no problems with the law.

Carry with me a Texas Antique license form that explains the plates and should help if some small town sheriff stops me.   Put that form in the car after a good friend was stopped on Route 66 by a Texas State Trooper who said he had never seen or heard of the special tags....finally the Trooper told he he could go,  but the Trooper was going to investigate and if there was a problem my friend would hear from the law......PS the friend is a lawyer.  

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

My Wife and I rode over to the town where I bought my '64 Riviera in 1978. We were having the two slice pizza special and sitting in the same building that was the garage for the dealer. And my car was about 30 feet from where is sat the day I bought it. The village police car pulled in next to the Riviera, blocking the driver's door and I watched from a tall seat right inside the window. The rear of my car was pointing to the street and the 1964 plate was easy to see. The cop sat for about three or four minutes fidgeting with his radio, then, abruptly backed out and sped off.

My Wife looked at me and asked "What was that about?"

"He just learned about Year of Manufacture license plates" I replied and took another bite of pizza.

New York State.

Auburnseeker, you must be younger than I thought. You follow all those inspection rules?

Bernie

Here in Washington state our car tabs are ridiculous (just got the bill for this year on my 2016 Miata - $350!). However, for an old car, it's great. I paid sales tax when I bought it and registration was probably $100, and I never have to register it again or get it inspected. My Rivi still has the original WA plates, which I love. For new cars here, we get bit in the a$$, but old cars, they are easy!

In Wisconsin you pay the initial sales tax for the purchase of the vehicle. No additional taxes are assessed ever and no inspections. You can purchase a regular license plate (which can be personalized) and then pay the annual $75.00 renewal fee. You can also get a "Collector" plate for cars with few or no alterations from original once it is 20 years old. You pay a one time fee of $200 and then pay no additional license fees as long as you own the car. You cannot drive the car in the month of January. Once you get the plate(s) those are yours for life. When you sell the car you keep the plates and you may use them again on other cars after paying another fee which is less than the original fee. There is also a "Hobbyist" plate for cars that are highly modified such as street rods or hot rods. The same rules apply for these plates as the Collector plates.

Bill

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:08 PM, Pat Curran said:

Coming from Massachusetts where you are constantly bending over for the state....

OUCH!!

3 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

I hope I didn't offend you Dave!  I may live in Connecticut but I am still contributing to Massachusetts coffers as I work in MA.  Hope you are well!

I'm well.  My "OUCH" is the result of first-hand experiences with the MA State and especially the DMV! 

• Haha 1