New Old Stock Air

pyntre

I know of an original 63 Riviera in Queens New York with 6,000 miles on it with the original tires and mostly original air in them, but

I doubt the original owner would be willing to sell you any!

5 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

I know of an original 63 Riviera in Queens New York with 6,000 miles on it with the original tires and mostly original air in them, but

I doubt the original owner would be willing to sell you any!

I would like to see that car, take some photos of it, for documentation purposes.  My Aunt, uncle, cousins used to live in Queens.

Can you PM me the contact info? Or ask them to contact me?

Air gets stale and loses its resiliency.  As the molecules age, the electrons weaken and their ability to maintain pressure deteriorates.  This is why you should never keep old air in your tires.  Part of any comprehensive annual maintenance routine should be to completely remove all the air from each tire and refill with new air from a certified compressor.

• Like 2

1963 air has about 319 PPM CO2, 2018 would be 410 PPM if it is fresh Spring air. Doesn't affect Buicks too much, but the Corvette and MoPar guys are diluting fresh air with nitrogen to bring it in spec.

If you have not completed a restoration you can aerate distilled water and cryogenicly freeze it for future use. 30 cubic foot bottles seem to be best to have on hand for topping off.

Now, aren't you glad you asked?

Bernie

2 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

I would like to see that car, take some photos of it, for documentation purposes.  My Aunt, uncle, cousins used to live in Queens.

Can you PM me the contact info? Or ask them to contact me?

I  have been trying to buy this car for four years, so I'm keeping it under wraps for the time being.....If I don't wind up getting

it, I will let you know where it wound up. I'm sure the next buyer(hopefully me) will become very well known in early Riviera circles

as this car is the holy grail of 63 Rivieras. As a teaser, I will tell you that it hasn't been driven other than in the cover of darkness at 5am nor has it been wet since 1964.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2018 at 1:51 PM, 60FlatTop said:

1963 air has about 319 PPM CO2, 2018 would be 410 PPM if it is fresh Spring air. Doesn't affect Buicks too much, but the Corvette and MoPar guys are diluting fresh air with nitrogen to bring it in spec.

If you have not completed a restoration you can aerate distilled water and cryogenicly freeze it for future use. 30 cubic foot bottles seem to be best to have on hand for topping off.

Now, aren't you glad you asked?

Bernie

Bernie, good information. Thank you for the update. Would the condensed water from my steam iron quality as distilled water?

Red Riviera Bob

On 5/18/2018 at 12:40 AM, pyntre said:

Looking for NOS air for my tires ... prefer something with a Buick part number on it ! 

My “brother-in-law”, Bill analyzes ice core samples taken from the Antarctic to measure the concentration of each of the gases present in the atmosphere at a given point in time. These gases are carbon dioxide, nitrogen, oxygen, methane, carbon monoxide etc. and results are used to study the affects on climate change and other interesting affects on our planet.

He resides in the UK but Im sure for a small fee he could give us a formula for when your Riviera was built and your local laboratory could mix it for you.

Just let me know, ???????

Rodney

I went to a garage the other day and asked if they had nitrogen for my tires. The guy said he had a lower grade than the other places that advertised it. "Would 78% nitrogen be OK?"

"Sure, better than just plain old air, I replied."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Now you guys have me thinking that just old vintage air isn’t going to be good enough , Buick part number or not ....... how about some of that helium from the Hindenburg ??? I bet I could get 80 MPG with that stuff in my tires ! I know we have some older guys here on this forum ,,, any of you there when that blimp crashed ??? Any leads on that helium stuff would be greatly appreciated !!!! 

2 hours ago, pyntre said:

Now you guys have me thinking that just old vintage air isn’t going to be good enough , Buick part number or not ....... how about some of that helium from the Hindenburg ??? I bet I could get 80 MPG with that stuff in my tires ! I know we have some older guys here on this forum ,,, any of you there when that blimp crashed ??? Any leads on that helium stuff would be greatly appreciated !!!! 

I thought that Vintage Air sold aftermarket air condtioning/heating units?

There's a big helium field under ground around Hougoton, KS.  Perhaps on your way to the BCA you can stop by and fill up