Novice winching car with no front spindles

rowan782

Haven't a lot of experience, need to load  a 1958 Pontiac onto an open trailer. it has no front wheels because no spindles.  Seller had to use his forklift in another state. Trailer has a good Warn winch.   Other than renting some kind of motorized lifter (tractor with front end loader or forklift ??) any good hillbilly ideas?

Edited by rowan782 (see edit history)

It will skid on almost anything. If you put down a couple 4X4 sheets of plywood it will dig in and slide the plywood, protecting the trailer deck. An old hood or trunk lid will work, too. Don't overthink the job.

My son and I pushed my tractor with a bucket loader into my garage with a 4X4 under the bucket. He asked what happens when you get to the end, I said we jack the bucket and slide it out. Turned out the edge of the bucket dug into the 4X4 and we rode it all the way.

Just push it. The two most dangerous words in the English language are "I thought." Overthink it and you will be sitting there with a big mess and the first two words you hear will be "I thought"

I dare you to keep track of what happened right before you hear those words.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Just push it. The two most dangerous words in the English language are "I thought." Overthink it and you will be sitting there with a big mess and the first two words you hear will be "I thought"

"Hold my beer and watch this" are the words that come to mind.

Being a helicopter pilot, I would suggest.....

Better yet, I like the plywood idea.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Some junk yard must have a cheap rear axle and wheels & tires out of a FWD minivan, redneck attach it under there like the garden cart axle I used on a chassis. Bob 

DSCF6351.JPG

That looks like a Mercedes frame in the background. If it is.........

Four wheel dollies are good for towing but they are wider than the average car trailer bed. On solid ramps wheel dollies have trouble where the ramps meet the ground and the bed. If you have a ramp style trailer and a good strong winch 4x4 skids will help you get it on and get it off.

Having done the hold the beer and watch this, don't forget the beer. You might just need to get a couple of big crazy people to help.

10 hours ago, rowan782 said:

Haven't a lot of experience, need to load  a 1958 Pontiac onto an open trailer. it has no front wheels because no spindles.  Seller had to use his forklift in another state. Trailer has a good Warn winch.   Other than renting some kind of motorized lifter (tractor with front end loader or forklift ??) any good hillbilly ideas?

Load it rear end first - have a forklift or a piece of equipment lift the front end 

while you pull it on the trailer using the winch - unload in the same manner.

Jim

60618335-C3C3-4971-83FD-E33E12EA3A5B.jpeg

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

That looks like a Mercedes frame in the background. If it is.........

No, Just another 35-40 Ford X member just like the one in the wire wheeled chassis.:) Mean while back to the OP spindleless car problem, are you using your trailer or a friends? Ever have a 354 Chrysler HEMI and cast iron transmission fall through a wood deck trailer? Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)