CHRISTMAS Cards

Terry Bond

I've collected antique postcards for a long time, and have quite a few Christmas themed cards showing Santa motoring about in the latest - here are a few.  How about posting pics of some of yours.  Even reglar Christmas cards with cars on them can be neat and I know I've not seen them all yet.

Terry

5a353c506455b_Santadrivingearlyautofrontviewedited2.thumb.jpg.d6d8ee9440d16bf70db3850481ee28a0.jpg

Santa drives a gold car with toys.JPG

Santa driving.JPG

Santa in red car delivers toys down chimney.JPG

Santa driving a red car.JPG

Santa driving 5.JPG

Santa in red car runs over snowman.JPG

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Well, I had to do some looking but I did manage to find one true Christmas card and one you might put in that category as it has snow in the background.  The true Christmas card has a 1906 copyright date in the lower left corner.  Hemming's Motor News did a series of artist drawn cards featuring cars from their fleet about 15 yrs ago.  Last year I sent my last one of them to a fellow auto enthusiast else I'd have one of them to show here.

Terry

IMG_1223.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Hello everyone. My name is Alina. I am from Ukraine collecting nice postcards. So why am I here? I am looking for a person here to help me. The point is I want to start to collect american vintage postcards, christmas, easter, thanksgiving day (1900). It is not easy to get them from Ukraine, so I would like to ask. Maybe one of you have useless such cards, can you sell for me with right prices or we can change our postcards using mail. I have a lot of beautiful soviet cards, russian, ukrainian, really good with great paintings like Zarubin, Gundobin and ets. As a rule at ebay they cost too expensive. I will share with pleasure. It could be a good experience for both of us. If there is a person interesting in such collaboration we can change pics on Viber. Please help me. I think we need to consider all the options.

19-09-01-262931-1600x1030-vintage-christmas-postcards-guide.jpg

19-09-38-Vintage-and-antique-Thanksgiving-postcards-from-the-early-1900s-10.jpg

19-09-58-5HhyVRb3faBdkcQcSu-NWLns1Yu6_VUS99bTTSVWMKpb-m2dQqQGGF0x54AfIG26RmiHULRnwriFdahXh_03ApZ6Su4vtVJgbtVXbRYEj-ErxIZZsPWC.jpg

19-13-03-6f00674b56db0c16fde988a2bb55cca8.jpg

19-13-24-c6378b342349c753c04a56606525896d.jpg

19-15-08-561a9a2998729f413dfd71ed62c0d8e3.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I don't believe Santa driving a car came about because sleighs were going out of fashion.  Santa in a sleigh will always be an iconic image as it always has been.  Showing him driving an automobile was a nod to the future and introduced Santa to the latest technology.  In a sense, it was an effort to show a more "modern" Santa, using a speedier method of making his rounds. 

Here are a few more from my collection.1917622312_ChlristmasSantadriving.jpg.8f1a0414dec8189e5ab998a89cb2891c.jpg

Terry

Chlristmas Santa delivers toys.jpg

Chrisstmas Santa with room for message.jpg

Christmas Santa leading the way.jpg

Santa driving a bus (3).jpg

Santa driving cap etc..jpg

Santa driving a blue car.jpg

Santa Driving front view.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Old Christmas cards and holiday decorations just had more style. Even thru the 1970s. After that it seems to me they changed, and not necessarily for the better. 

'Course now that the Christmas decorations go up before the Hallowe'en stuff comes down, and the radio starts the Christmas playlist 2 weeks before Thanksgiving... I think the radio gets me worse than anything, even the inflatables that it's sometimes a stretch to figure what they have to do with the winter holidays.🤔

Thanks Terry and the lady from Ukraine for showing what greeting cards were like in past times.

• 4 weeks later...

What is pictured here is a card sent to Packard owners and perspective Packard owners by the Packard Motor Car Company of Boston ( 1089 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston) by Alvan T. Fuller their dealer in that city. It measures 4 1/4 "wide by 6" tall. the pack on the front Santa has slung over his shoulder has a slit in it so a separate die cut Packard sedan ( a 120) could be slid in there as a novelty to show you that a new 120 Packard sedan could be your Christmas present for you or for someone. I have had this for decades and just now relocated it after looking through the boxes of pre war Packard sales material I have. The die cut car is printed on coated stock paper and the rest of the card on regular paper so is a matte finish ( ie one is shiny the other is not)
Of course in looking for it I was reminded of all the other things I have that I have not looked at enthusiastically for over a decade or more . Yes, to much stuff , a lot of it really odd too. All of it brings up thoughts of 'what a great story this would make' - maybe some day.

Hope this image brings you some cheer .

Walt

CHristmas1937Packardone.jpg

Christmas1937Packardtwo.jpg

• Like 5