'65 Window Sticker

65VerdeGS

Does anyone have a picture of a '65 Riviera window sticker they can post?

I'm wondering what the original window stickers for these cars looked like. 

What were the dimension of the original window stickers?

I've seen a '65 window sticker on the web, which was printed on pre-printed perforated stock, with BUICK in blue ink at the top, with the data about the individual car printed in black lettering, all surrounded by a blue zig-zag type border.  Is this correct?

I've seen an original 1966 Riviera Gran Sport window sticker.  On this sticker, the pre-printed part was in green ink, with the car info and options in black type.

Lastly, when the cars were new at the dealership, where were the window stickers placed on the car?  Was this a standard placement, or did the dealer decide where to position the sticker?

Randy,

I believe you are referring to Mike Trom.  As you indicated, he is a V-8 Buick member.  Mike's e-mail is listed as mrtromm@yahoo.com.

He has said that he does reproduction window stickers for 1959 and 1963-1974 Buicks.

Mike did two window sticker reproductions for me.  First-rate job, easy to deal with and fast turn-around.

Jim Vesely

BCA # 39477

ROA # 7437

3 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

I have every scrap of paperwork on my car including the window sticker. Here is a pic of my original sticker.......

DSC03713.JPG

The info is kind of hard to read. Is there a chance that you can type out the codes, descriptions, and individual prices as well as the paragraph at the bottom?  Thanks, Ed

The sticker actually has a name:

"The Monroney sticker (window sticker) is a label required in the United States to be displayed in all new automobiles and includes the listing of certain official information about the car. The window sticker was named after Almer Stillwell "Mike" Monroney, United States Senator from Oklahoma. Monroney sponsored the Automobile Information Disclosure Act of 1958, which mandated the disclosure of equipment and pricing information on new automobiles."

• Like 2

On 11/25/2017 at 8:41 PM, RivNut said:

The info is kind of hard to read. Is there a chance that you can type out the codes, descriptions, and individual prices as well as the paragraph at the bottom?  Thanks, Ed

Yes Ed, I will type out the info and post it tomorrow. Two things on my sticker differ with the way the car is today......the chrome wheels were

added in 1967 and the 4 note horns were removed to make room for an aftermarket cruise control in 1967.The aftermarket cruise from Perfect Circle still works great and doesn't vary one mile an hour.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

There is no way to determine that if you don't have the original sales invoice or Window sticker

or protecto plate.  My car was sold new at Ken Nelson Buick in Dixon, Illinois, and that dealer still exists under the same name

today, still selling Buicks at the same address they were at in 1965.

• Like 1

Jframe, did you get an owners manual with your car? If so, on the last page, or maybe next to last, is listed the selling dealer and a code for this dealer, if it was filled out. Do a search on the forum for dealer codes. We discussed this a few years ago. But this only works if you have the original manual and the dealer filled this out properly.

5 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

There is no way to determine that if you don't have the original sales invoice or Window sticker

or protecto plate.  My car was sold new at Ken Nelson Buick in Dixon, Illinois, and that dealer still exists under the same name

today, still selling Buicks at the same address they were at in 1965.

Ken Nelson sells just about everything now, but mostly trucks I think. I drive past it every time I work in Dixon. They also host a classic car show each summer.

13 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

Ken Nelson sells just about everything now, but mostly trucks I think. I drive past it every time I work in Dixon. They also host a classic car show each summer.

My car stayed in Dixon, Illinois until 2011, and the first two owners were dealership employees.

23 hours ago, steelman said:

Jframe, did you get an owners manual with your car? If so, on the last page, or maybe next to last, is listed the selling dealer and a code for this dealer, if it was filled out. Do a search on the forum for dealer codes. We discussed this a few years ago. But this only works if you have the original manual and the dealer filled this out properly.

I've got the original owner's manual tucked away with a replacement in the glovebox. The original has nothing like this on the last page, I don't THINK. I'd have to look tonight and make sure.

I have the original owners manual for my '65 and there are no notations or stamps in it which identify the dealer that sold the car when new.

The selling dealer info does appear stamped in the "Buick 1965 Owner's Protection Plan" booklet, on the second to last page of the booklet.  The Protect-o-Plate is glued to the back cover of this booklet.

On 11/25/2017 at 8:41 PM, RivNut said:

As promised, here is what is written on my original 65 Riviera window sticker........

Dealer to whom delivered:      Ken Nelson Buick-Pontiac                                                                 10-809-6301

Dixon Illinois

Make:                              1965 Buick                        Final Assembly Point:               Flint,  Michigan

Vehicle Identification No. 494475H..........                            Model:          Riviera  2DR     Sport Coupe

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: (Includes Reimbursement for Federal Excise Tax and suggested Dealer Delivery and Handling Charge )      4,408.00

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Delivered Prices on Options and Accessories Installed on this  Vehicle By the Manufacturer:

(Includes Reimbursement for Federal Excise Tax)       Body No. 088412

U64     D2                    Sonomatic Radio with Electric Antenna                                                                                                                                                          116.42

U80     E6                     Rear Seat Speaker                                                                                                                                                                                                 17.20

P26     F1                     White Wall Tires     8.45  x  15                                                                                                                                                                              43.32

G80    G4                     Positive Traction Differential                                                                                                                                                                                48.38

C60     I6                      Air Conditioner                                                                                                                                                                                                      430.00

A49     J1                    Two Custom Front Seat Belts with Retractors                                                                                                                                                      7.53

A01     E1                    Soft-Ray Tinted Glass                                                                                                                                                                                              43.00

U05     N2                    Four - Note Horn                                                                                                                                                                                                      27.95

B93     O4                    Door Guards                                                                                                                                                                                                               4.09

D33     O5                    Remote Control Side View Mirror                                                                                                                                                                          11.93

Y54     P1                    Carpet Savers and Handy Mats                                                                                                                                                                              12.93

D16     X7                    Rear Seat Center Armrest                                                                                                                                                                                        37.63

A50     ##                    Custom Trim Bucket Seats -  Vinyl, And

Rocker Panel Molding                                                                                                                                                                                             166.63

The Following Items, Options or Accessories On Some

Other Models, Are Standard Equipment On This ..

1965  Model     # Riviera 2Dr. Sport Coupe------------------#  

Super Turbine Transmission  -------  Wheel Covers  -------  Electric

Clock ---   Custom Padded Cushions ----Trunk Light ----  Power

Steering ---  Power Brakes ----Windshield Washer And

2-Speed Wipers  ----  Back Up Lights  --- Glare Proof Mirror

Parking Brake Signal Light ---- Instrument Panel Safety

Pad,  Upper ----Bright Exterior Mouldings, Body Side, Belt

Reveal, Roof Drip, Front Wheel Opening, And Door

Window Frame

Destination Charge                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           79.00

Total Amount:   (Does Not Include Dealer Installed Options or Accessories, State or Local Taxes or License Fees)                                                                 5454.01

This Label And The Information Thereon Has Been Affixed To This Motor Vehicle By Buick Motor Division, General Motors

Corporation, Pursuant To The Requirements of Public Law 85-506 85th Congress, Which Prohibits the Removal or Alteration Of

This Label Prior To The Time That Such Automobile Is Delivered To The Actual Custody And Possession Of The  Ultimate Purchaser.

BUICK MOTOR DIVISION

GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION  

A couple of interesting things to note......    The word moldings is spelled first as moldings, and later on down the line as mouldings!

Also note that the beginning of the VIN number is typed on the sticker (494475H) but the last 6 digits are haphazardly and crookedly added with a

rubber stamp.  Also, I had the prices on the right margin but when I submitted it they magically moved to the left side making it kind of confusing to read. Lastly, note that there is no mention of the tilt wheel being standard equipment on this model in the blurb regarding

standard equipment, consequently the tilt wheel is never mentioned anywhere on the sticker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Winston,

Thanks for taking the time to do this.  I know it's time consuming and there's not much of an intrinsic reward for it, but thanks just the same.  I wanted to compare the paragraph at the bottom to the paragraph on the bottom of the sticker for my '63.

Here's how that same paragraph reads for my 63:

THE FOLLOWING ITEMS, OPTIONAL ON SOME OTHER MODELS, ARE

STANDARD EQUIPMENT ON THIS 1963 MODEL ....................................

RIVIERA 2 DR. SPORT COUPE

TURBINE DRIVE TRANSMISSION-RIVIERA WHEEL COVERS-LICENSE

PLATE FRAME-ELECTRIC CLOCK-FOAM PADDED BUCKET SEATS, FRONT

AND REAR-AUTOMATIC TRUNK LIGHT-DUAL EXHAUST-EASY POWER

STEERING-POWER BRAKES-WINDSHIELD WASHER AND 2 SPEED WIPERS

BACK-UP LIGHTS- GLARE PROOF MIRROR- PARKING BRAKE SIGNAL

LIGHT.

It's interesting that apparently that over the two year period of time, that Buick had apparently accepted that some items that were standard no longer needed to be mentioned but others were. 

I also learned that I have been using the words mold and mould incorrectly for the past umpteen decades.  I always that the noun molding was the trim piece and verb mould was the act of shaping something.  According to Merriam Webster, mould is the British spelling of the same.  Mold is both the noun and verb in American English.  Shame on Buick, shame on me.

Ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1