Mitchell Overdrive

MikeDeFelice

I want to install the Mitchell on the differential like I had a closed driveshaft. I have the parts all mocked up. There is not enough room

on the rear of the transmission with out going back so far that the rear drive shaft is to short and the angle of the universal joint is

to great. I have seen pictures of the installation of the rear of the transmission and the universal angle is excessive. I have a ring which can be 

bolted to the differential with a 6 1/2 ID steel tube that will be plated on the other end and bolted to the Overdrive. Very similar to the way

they are installed on the Model A. They just wanted to argue and not listen.

Thanks  Mike

Mike, I had a similar problem with communication with Mitchell when I got mine.  Here is a link to the Ford Barn discussion with about the same results. About half way down the thread, there is a note about some guy who lost some parts and never installed the overdrive unit. It might be a lead...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225267

Frank

I've been to the Mitchell facility several times; it is a small family business.  Sue Mitchell, in her 80s, is an absolute delight, and actually called me, out of the blue, in June to see how my 3 units were doing (my 3 were part of a group buy of 16 units five years ago for local, Pierce, Packard, and Cadillac owners).  If Sue isn't available, talk to Cindy and no one else.  A certain male there is always grumpy and could p*ss off the Good Humor Man,

Late 1930s installations, especially if they include the optional 3/16 or 1/4" thick metal plate for suspension, can be noisy when in OD under 40 mph, principally because cars of that vintage are quieter than the Model As that these units were designed for. Properly insulating the plate mounting points reduces the harmonics. 

I've only installed one of mine, in a 1925 Pierce-Arrow Series 80 sedan with factory 4.88 gears which used to have a cruise speed of 36-37, screaming at 41; now it's comfortable at 49 mph with an effective final drive ratio of 3.61 (26% option) yet retaining excellent hill climbing ability in direct.  Our forum member GLong installed mine, and had Mitchell drill the case for installation with the push-pull actuator on the RIGHT side for a flipped installation. He fabricated linkage to bring a shifter up through the hand brake slot.

• Like 1

Grimy, I talked to Sue several times and she really didn't listen to what I was saying. She kept talking about how great the Model A business was.

If I didn't do what she thought it was wrong but she never listened to what I wanted to do. I talked to 2 people that installed the unit in similar franklins and got pictures from one. One was done with the body off and changes made to the tool box to help. Even with this change the rear universal has way to much angle from the pics.  She told me I needed  to talk to a Technical person but they were to busy to talk to me and they may call when they get a chance. Not a warm feeling. I called he wasn't available. When he called me Sue had talked to him and they had decided not to sell to me. I could hardly get a word in and he had no idea what I was doing and I don't believe Sue did either. He  (STEVE) was the one that told me he didn't need my business. I am not a novice on working on cars and Franklins. You can see my 1930 Franklin on AACA Speedsters. Some of my other toys at   mikesbigboystoys.com  

Thanks for the Note.

Hey Mike, some of the older Franklins have the Warner overdrive . Bob Green used to do them but Lloyd Young has taken over. I didnt know if you want to go this route or not. Lloyd is a real nice guy and very knowledgeable . This winter I am going to take mine out of the 31 Franklin and take it to him in Ohio to rebuild. If you want to talk to him his number is 614 837 7832. Just giving options to a fellow Franklin owner !  Jim

Mike

That's disappointing to hear about your experience with Mitchell.  I purchased one last year to put in a Rugby.  Far different install to a Model A.   I'm also down under in Australia.  Had numerous emails to Sue about what I needed.  Spoke to Sue and Steve on the phone also about my requirements.  Sue even went up and beyond and chased up the correct speedo drive gears to put in the unit, so that my speedo remained accurate.  Nothing but praise for them.

Like Grimy, my Rugby has a 4.89 rear end.  High 30's mph screaming its head off.  Much better now with the Mitchell, 26% reduction, whilst retaining the direct drive for the hills in my area.  Made my own linkages that bolt to the top of the gearbox, with the lever in between the handbrake and gear.  Blends in very well, and amazing how many people don't see it.

Hope that your situation turns around.

Cheers

IMG_6415.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, 

I have a very good friend of mine who ordered and got 2 Mitchell Overdrives this year. He asked me if I would be interested in one of them. I could ask him for you if you are still looking for one. I know he was able to purchase a Chrysler OD for one of his cars therefor he wont need both of the Mitchell's.

Best Regards,

Scott

Hello Mike, my name is Gary and I have a Mitchell Overdrive that I bought from a very good friend of mine estate. I bought the entire drivetrain from his son. It came out of a 31 Model A coupe. His son is making a 50 style hot rod with a V 8 flat head with a 5 speed tranny. The Mitchell unit has one trip from LA Calif to Reno and back. I don't know what part of the country you live but I have since left Calif and reside in Kingman Az. I have had my Model A for over 54 years and decided to leave it all original, that's the reason I am responding to your ad. From your ad I think you are only looking for a trans not a whole drive train with a cut torque tube,axle , engine etc. I would sell the Mitchell for $2000.00 if you might be interested or $3500.00 for everything. I can take some photos and text them to you if you send me your tel number. I am better with photos from my phone than the computer.   Gary

• 4 years later...